PDA

View Full Version : What is an Elitist?

midcan5
10-06-2008, 02:49 PM
Why is Barack Obama an elitist and John McCain is not? McCain only got into school through class connections, Obama got in on smarts, McCain had a privileged childhood, Obama had a more normal, some would say, broken family childhood. Like so many words the right wingnut conservatives use, it has no substance in reality. So tell me what an elitist is?

red states rule
10-06-2008, 02:55 PM
Why is Barack Obama an elitist and John McCain is not? McCain only got into school through class connections, Obama got in on smarts, McCain had a privileged childhood, Obama had a more normal, some would say, broken family childhood. Like so many words the right wingnut conservatives use, it has no substance in reality. So tell me what an elitist is?

Here is Obama's reasons why he is not an elitest

"I am amused about this notion of elitist given that when you are raised by a single mom, when you are on food stamps for a while when you were growing up, you went to school on scholarship," Obama said.

Obama continued, "We both had to finance our entire college education, our law school education, borrowing money and we paid all of our student loans I think about five years ago, six years ago. You know, we lived for the first 13 years of marriage up until 3 years ago, in a 3 bedroom condo without a garage so if you live in Chicago that means you are scraping ice every corner."

Obama's comments came after a town hall participant made a statement about the furor surrounding the "elitism" argument and accused the Clinton's of being "close to prejudice".

http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalradar/2008/04/obama-lumps-eli.html

Immanuel
10-06-2008, 02:59 PM
3 dictionary results for: elitist
Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1) - Cite This Source - Share This
e·lit·ism /ɪˈlitɪzəm, eɪˈli-/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[i-lee-tiz-uhm, ey-lee-] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun 1. practice of or belief in rule by an elite.
2. consciousness of or pride in belonging to a select or favored group.

American Heritage Dictionary - Cite This Source - Share This e·lit·ism or é·lit·ism (ĭ-lē'tĭz'əm, ā-lē'-) Pronunciation Key
n.
The belief that certain persons or members of certain classes or groups deserve favored treatment by virtue of their perceived superiority, as in intellect, social status, or financial resources.

The sense of entitlement enjoyed by such a group or class.
Control, rule, or domination by such a group or class.

From dictionary.com.

Now, that was not so difficult. Why couldn't you do that yourself? :laugh2:

Senator Obama fits into the bolded items very well.

Immie

Hagbard Celine
10-06-2008, 03:37 PM
Apparently an educated person.

mundame
10-06-2008, 03:40 PM
What is an elitist?

Right. What a lot of people here seem to want is the stupider the better.

That's why they are so happy with George Bush's presidency --- the stupider they are, the worse they do, the more the country is in a state of collapse, the happier these people are that they elected somebody truly representative of themselves!!

Hagbard Celine
10-06-2008, 03:44 PM
What is an elitist?

That's why they are so happy with George Bush's presidency --- the stupider they are, the worse they do, the more the country is in a state of collapse, the happier these people are that they elected somebody truly representative of themselves!!

You hit the nail on the head. These philistines would rather flush the country down with another four years of "Joe Sixpack" than admit that being President requires more than being able to say boy howdy at the church picnic. "You betcha!" :laugh2: What a miserable joke.

theHawk
10-06-2008, 04:28 PM

That must mean I am an elitest. :laugh2:

Sitarro
10-06-2008, 04:31 PM
You hit the nail on the head. These philistines would rather flush the country down with another four years of "Joe Sixpack" than admit that being President requires more than being able to say boy howdy at the church picnic. "You betcha!" :laugh2: What a miserable joke.

Yea, a few years in the unreal world of College educates a person, sure.

Bill Gates...... dropped out of Harvard when he realized that the idiots that call themselves professors couldn't teach him anything, he became the Richest man in America. Steve Jobs, didn't waste his time in College for a month before he quit and started doing something with his life......... extraordinary visionary, CEO and founder of Apple Computer and Board of Directors of Disney.

As for the way somebody speaks as reflecting their intellectual abilities, I guess you elitist snobs would say Stephen Hawking is a dumb shit, right?

manu1959
10-06-2008, 04:48 PM
What is an elitist?

"stupider" is not a word .... but as an elitist you knew that huh ....

red states rule
10-06-2008, 04:49 PM
"stupider" is not a word .... but as an elitist you knew that huh ....

She seems to have a lot of liberal traits. Maybe a dose of penicillin will cure her

manu1959
10-06-2008, 04:50 PM

i thought obama and biden were complaining that the gop was out of touch with the common man.....so the gop goes out and finds a common woman that is more in touch with what milk and gas costs and now they are being condemned for doing exactly what you asked them to do .....

admit it....all yall really don't know what you want ....

Yurt
10-06-2008, 04:51 PM

boy, you jusda about as full o' bull droppings as they come, aintcha :laugh2:

red states rule
10-06-2008, 04:51 PM
i thought obama and biden were complaining that the gop was out of touch with the common man.....so the gop goes out and finds a common woman that is more in touch with what milk and gas costs and now they are being condemned for doing exactly what you asked them to do .....

admit it....all yall really don't know what you want ....

If Hag and his liberal buddies want change, I saw some in a fountain the other day. He is welcome to it

10-06-2008, 04:59 PM

Exactly what is Obama educated in? Surely you arent suggesting that merely attending a school and getting a degree makes someone educated.

Kathianne
10-06-2008, 05:12 PM

I'm an educated person, I still don't believe that I know better than you, what's good for you. Even if I did think so, I acknowledge your right to screw up, at least to my way of thinking. ;)

Immanuel
10-06-2008, 06:37 PM
What is an elitist?

I don't know many who are happy with the current President.

Immie

Yurt
10-06-2008, 06:39 PM
http://bartblog.bartcop.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/elitist-snob.jpg

red states rule
10-06-2008, 06:43 PM
http://images.stuckon-stupid.com/democrats/Obama/obamaafrocent.jpg

10-06-2008, 07:24 PM
I don't know many who are happy with the current President.

Immie

Im not. He has been way too liberal lately.

SassyLady
10-06-2008, 07:25 PM
To me an elitist is one who "feels" they are superior to the common man/woman. That somehow they are superior because they are educated through an institution. It's just another word for classism.

stephanie
10-06-2008, 07:29 PM

I'd rather hang with Joe Sixpack, than with a snob that looks down their nose at people, like you do..

red states rule
10-06-2008, 07:45 PM
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/dayart/20080430/cartoon20080430.gif

actsnoblemartin
10-06-2008, 07:47 PM
is he having a stroke, seizue? :laugh2:

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/dayart/20080430/cartoon20080430.gif

red states rule
10-06-2008, 08:21 PM
http://images.icanhascheezburger.com/completestore/2008/10/2/128674116129017531.jpg

midcan5
10-06-2008, 08:33 PM
Seems none of the conservatives can nail down what an elitist is, I guess it is like their use of liberal or lefty, just a word big dumb people around them use pejoratively and they copy the big dumb people thinking they are saying something relevant, cause the big dumb people smile at them and say, you got it sonny.

stephanie
10-06-2008, 08:38 PM
Seems none of the conservatives can nail down what an elitist is, I guess it is like their use of liberal or lefty, just a word big dumb people around them use pejoratively and they copy the big dumb people thinking they are saying something relevant, cause the big dumb people smile at them and say, you got it sonny.

what a bunch of written elitist bullshit..

signed, jillsixpack:salute:

red states rule
10-06-2008, 08:42 PM
http://www.strangecosmos.com/images/content/136883.jpg

AFbombloader
10-06-2008, 08:43 PM

Each one of us has our own opinion of what an elitist is, and it is not your or anyone's place to tell us we are right or wrong about that. It is our own opinion.

IMHO, an elitist is someone who feels they are better than others and/or diserve preferential treatment because of that. I feel that the way Obama comes across to me, he does act/sound like that. While McCain may have had an "easier" life growing up, he does not come across like that to me. He does not carry himself like it is his God given right to be where he is, like Obama does.

All this is MY opinion. I know the saying, everyone has one and they all stink.

Abbey Marie
10-06-2008, 09:14 PM
Elitism and condescension go hand in hand. One example: calling most of the country "Fly-over country", thereby implying that the people who live there aren't even worthy of acknowledgment.

Yurt
10-06-2008, 09:26 PM

that is elitist....

Immanuel
10-06-2008, 09:31 PM
that is elitist....

It is okay... liberals are all elitist. It is in their nature and us lowly commoners have to just live with it.

Immie

10-06-2008, 10:49 PM

Seems you have reading comprehension problems.

manu1959
10-06-2008, 10:53 PM

it is rather easy....it is people that hold themselves out as smarter, more educated more knowledgable than those that they disagree with.....in short.....you......you preach with a conviction that can not possible be absolute....yet your claims have no room for anything other than what you claim.....if only we would all blindly agree with you everything would be better....

midcan5
10-07-2008, 07:43 AM
Each one of us has our own opinion of what an elitist is, and it is not your or anyone's place to tell us we are right or wrong about that. It is our own opinion.

IMHO, an elitist is someone who feels they are better than others and/or diserve preferential treatment because of that. I feel that the way Obama comes across to me, he does act/sound like that. While McCain may have had an "easier" life growing up, he does not come across like that to me. He does not carry himself like it is his God given right to be where he is, like Obama does.

All this is MY opinion. I know the saying, everyone has one and they all stink.

Pure BS, the only reason you see it that way is because your filter in front of reality is a partisan one. It's not an opinion, if opinions have any basis in fact, it is the fact Obama is a democrat. Be honest with yourself, it's the hardest thing one can do.

If we can/could agree an elitist is a person who has no grip on the life of the common man, McCain's life fits it perfectly. Got into Annapolis on connections!!! Didn't know how many houses they own or the fact not all his cars are American!!! Crashed planes and didn't get thrown out of the Navy!!! Get real.

midcan5
10-07-2008, 07:50 AM
it is rather easy....it is people that hold themselves out as smarter, more educated more knowledgable than those that they disagree with.....in short.....you......you preach with a conviction that can not possible be absolute....yet your claims have no room for anything other than what you claim.....if only we would all blindly agree with you everything would be better....

Well I probably am all those things, and even a great lover, super husband and father, best grandpa, who can do anything pretty much anything, but hey I'm not bragging. And I agree with your second point too, but you don't have to believe or agree with everything I say, just do the right thing and vote for America and its people this time and not for corporate pawns and the wealthy.

OBAMA/BIDEN 2008

red states rule
10-07-2008, 07:52 AM
Well I probably am all those things, and even a great lover, super husband and father, best grandpa, who can do anything pretty much anything, but hey I'm not bragging. And I agree with your second point too, but you don't have to believe or agree with everything I say, just do the right thing and vote for America and its people this time and not for corporate pawns and the wealthy.

OBAMA/BIDEN 2008

Looking at the new polls out this morning, I would say the voters do want liberal snobs as President and VP - they are moving toward the "common" folks :laugh2:

jimnyc
10-07-2008, 08:00 AM
Well I probably am all those things, and even a great lover, super husband and father, best grandpa, who can do anything pretty much anything, but hey I'm not bragging.

Did I read correctly that someone stated you were a teacher? :laugh2:

PLEASE, PLEASE let me know where so I can make sure my son doesn't go within 1000 miles of you! Personally, I think you're a shitcan liar, just like MFM.

red states rule
10-07-2008, 08:02 AM
Did I read correctly that someone stated you were a teacher? :laugh2:

PLEASE, PLEASE let me know where so I can make sure my son doesn't go within 1000 miles of you! Personally, I think you're a shitcan liar, just like MFM.

There is a liberal site called progressives online where the "founder" claims to be a teacher. He sounds alot like midcan.

jimnyc
10-07-2008, 08:04 AM
There is a liberal site called progressives online where the "founder" claims to be a teacher. He sounds alot like midcan.

Shitcan is WAY too stupid to know how to start a website.

red states rule
10-07-2008, 08:06 AM
Shitcan is WAY too stupid to know how to start a website.

Being a liberal he had someone else do the hard work for him. Jim, they are lucky if they get 25 new posts per day. It is not a very busy site - they silence any conservatives who venture into their little world

midcan5
10-07-2008, 09:28 AM
Did I read correctly that someone stated you were a teacher?

I have tutored needy kids and taught the handicapped computer skills but that is an avocation as momma needs new shoes and she has lots. LOL

I don't think I have ever lied online as it is a silly thing in cyberspace. And why do you conservatives think education will lead to thought. Some here are educated and I see no thought.

midcan5
10-07-2008, 09:33 AM
What's the site? There can't be two perfect people in this world, can there be?

Sorry if that sounds elitist but elitist like all things is in the eyes of the beholder, and really most Americans wish they could aspire to elitist. I certainly could do that but I stay grounded. ROTFLMAO

stephanie
10-07-2008, 09:34 AM
I have tutored needy kids and taught the handicapped computer skills but that is an avocation as momma needs new shoes and she has lots. LOL

I don't think I have ever lied online as it is a silly thing in cyberspace. And why do you conservatives think education will lead to thought. Some here are educated and I see no thought.

was it you who said you were an English teacher?

manu1959
10-07-2008, 11:09 AM
What's the site? There can't be two perfect people in this world, can there be?

Sorry if that sounds elitist but elitist like all things is in the eyes of the beholder, and really most Americans wish they could aspire to elitist. I certainly could do that but I stay grounded. ROTFLMAO

perfection is not atainable....

manu1959
10-07-2008, 11:14 AM

OBAMA/BIDEN 2008

you are bragging and there are plenty of corporate shills tied to obama.....picking between the two is no more difficult than picking which company you want to work for....one that rewards you for what you can do and one that rewards you for being on the planet....

Trigg
10-07-2008, 11:34 AM
If we can/could agree an elitist is a person who has no grip on the life of the common man, McCain's life fits it perfectly. Got into Annapolis on connections!!! Didn't know how many houses they own or the fact not all his cars are American!!! Crashed planes and didn't get thrown out of the Navy!!! Get real.

You just don't get it, either that or your being deliberately dense.

A person can be born with money and privilege and not be an elitist or snob. On the flip side a person can "come from nothing" and see them self as better because of what they've accomplished.

Lets take Bill Gates for instance. Here is a man who's worth a fortune, and chooses to spend in on charities. But he doesn't just write a check he goes to those countries and villages to see what they need. He doesn't seem to hold himself above others.

Obama, even though he is self made, seems to look down his nose at people. He seems to think he better than other people. We've all known people like this. People in our same economic situation that for whatever reason seem to just think they're better.

Yurt
10-07-2008, 01:01 PM

A person can be born with money and privilege and not be an elitist or snob. On the flip side a person can "come from nothing" and see them self as better because of what they've accomplished.

Lets take Bill Gates for instance. Here is a man who's worth a fortune, and chooses to spend in on charities. But he doesn't just write a check he goes to those countries and villages to see what they need. He doesn't seem to hold himself above others.

Obama, even though he is self made, seems to look down his nose at people. He seems to think he better than other people. We've all known people like this. People in our same economic situation that for whatever reason seem to just think they're better.

:clap:

actsnoblemartin
10-07-2008, 01:04 PM

Yurt
10-07-2008, 01:04 PM

just because you can't see "it" doesn't mean it does not exist...perhaps you simply cannot comprehend those thoughts and they are too complex for you, or perhaps you are a party hack who debates dishonestly by calling his opponents "thoughts" non-existent, when in fact you know they exist, it is jsut that you don't agree with them...

midcan5
10-07-2008, 03:45 PM

A person can be born with money and privilege and not be an elitist or snob. On the flip side a person can "come from nothing" and see them self as better because of what they've accomplished....

Sure people can be pretentious or snobby regardless of birth. Gates' good use of his monopolistic earnings is not relevant. But my point is the only reason Obama is elitist to you partisans is because he is the democratic candidate for president. It's just a pejorative word that comes out of the conservative echo chamber, a negative word labeling chamber that is too obvious. Consider Kerry was elitist too, funny those elitist democrats! And you demonstrate it clearly in your emotional response with the word 'seem.' Show me 'seem' I don't see it. And I don't see it in McCain either but I will argue against echo chamber nonsense in anyway I can.

midcan5
10-07-2008, 03:50 PM
just because you can't see "it" doesn't mean it does not exist...perhaps you simply cannot comprehend those thoughts and they are too complex for you, or perhaps you are a party hack who debates dishonestly by calling his opponents "thoughts" non-existent, when in fact you know they exist, it is jsut that you don't agree with them...

But thought must contain logic, argument, reason but all one sees is stupid contrived pictures and the echo chamber posts of distortions and outright lies.

A vote for McCain/Palin is a vote against the fundamental principle of America, the right of the individual to lead their life privately without the government interfering.

jimnyc
10-07-2008, 04:05 PM
But thought must contain logic, argument, reason but all one sees is stupid contrived pictures and the echo chamber posts of distortions and outright lies.

A vote for McCain/Palin is a vote against the fundamental principle of America, the right of the individual to lead their life privately without the government interfering.

Shitcan, are you really too stupid to setup a signature? I've asked you publicly and 2x via PM to please setup a signature if you wish to make general statements after each and every post, in bold no less. It's annoying. I suggest you ask someone smarter than you how to setup a signature if this is such a problem for you.

Yurt
10-07-2008, 04:56 PM

i admit you are right....the more you post that saying in bold i truly believe that you only see stupid contrived pictures and live in an echo chamber of repetitious democratic partisan bullcaca and distortion of such a level that your thoughts are outright lies.....

good point simplecan

10-07-2008, 05:06 PM
Sure people can be pretentious or snobby regardless of birth. Gates' good use of his monopolistic earnings is not relevant. But my point is the only reason Obama is elitist to you partisans is because he is the democratic candidate for president. It's just a pejorative word that comes out of the conservative echo chamber, a negative word labeling chamber that is too obvious. Consider Kerry was elitist too, funny those elitist democrats! And you demonstrate it clearly in your emotional response with the word 'seem.' Show me 'seem' I don't see it. And I don't see it in McCain either but I will argue against echo chamber nonsense in anyway I can.

No, the reason Obama is an elitist is because he is a condescending elitist.

Example A:

"And it's not surprising then that they get bitter, they cling to guns or religion or antipathy to people who aren't like them or anti-immigrant sentiment or anti-trade sentiment as a way to explain their frustrations," Obama said.

AFbombloader
10-07-2008, 06:12 PM
Pure BS, the only reason you see it that way is because your filter in front of reality is a partisan one. It's not an opinion, if opinions have any basis in fact, it is the fact Obama is a democrat. Be honest with yourself, it's the hardest thing one can do.

No, my opinion has nothing to do with party affiliation. Did I say anything about party? It is all about how you carry yourself. There are plenty of democrats that do not carry themselfs with the apparant total diastain he does for the "common" person, "holding on to our guns and Bibles"....Joe Leiberman comes to mind. And there are republicans that do act elitist. Do not try to color me as a partisan on this topic. I am being completly honest with myself, are you?

As to McCains life in the past. Yes he had it easier that most. Yes, he got into the Navy Academy because his father/grandfather were Admirals. So what. I would have done the same thing and hope my sons would too. There are people getting into colleges all over the country because of "legacy" status. He was shot down in Viet Nam, where do you get that he crashed? The cars and houses thing, who cares. I wish I had that problem.

Trigg
10-07-2008, 06:12 PM

You don't think he's a snob or an elitist, so therefore no one else should either. You "seem" to think you know better than I do simply because I disagree with you. Your "point" is wrong, you just refuse to admit it because in your mind, your always right. People are allowed to see things differently, libs like you have yet to realize that fact.

I've known many people who think they're better than others simply because of who their family is or how much money they make or what school they went do. I've also known people who are Dr's and owners of million dollar companies who are as down to earth as the farmer across the street.

My saying Obama is a snob and elitist has nothing to do with him being a dem. or his running for president. I see it in the way he talks down to interviewers and the way he looks down his nose at debates. Did you never notice the way he addressed Hillary???????

Kathianne
10-07-2008, 06:30 PM
... my point is the only reason Obama is elitist to you partisans is because he is the democratic candidate for president. It's just a pejorative word that comes out of the conservative echo chamber, a negative word labeling chamber that is too obvious. ...

Seriously, it seems the Democrats have the monopoly on well known elitists. Yes, Kerry fits in here, so does Obama. It's much more difficult to come up with leading Republican leaders, that is odd, considering the folk lore...

manu1959
10-07-2008, 08:17 PM
i take it back .... obama is not an elitist......he is rude....

actsnoblemartin
10-07-2008, 08:19 PM
kerry, i dont know if he was that elitist.

but obama seems very condescending

you know it is possible for people to think obama is a snob because of how obama acts, not his donkey affiliation :laugh2:

actsnoblemartin
10-07-2008, 08:19 PM
i take it back .... obama is not an elitist......he is rude....

:laugh2:

hahahahahahahaha

and you are FUNNY :clap:

manu1959
10-07-2008, 08:42 PM
:laugh2:

hahahahahahahaha

and you are FUNNY :clap:

he is rude......i couldn't figure it out......but watching him tonight he is just flat rude.....and arrogant.......

manu1959
10-07-2008, 09:20 PM
elitists are a classy bunch......

http://www.politico.com/blogs/bensmith/1008/McCaskills_edge.html

McCaskill's edge

I mentioned a few days ago that Claire McCaskill's mild affect masks a bit of a killer, and perhaps the Obama campaign's deftest surrogate on the attack.

But I was still kind of amused by her brief interaction with Mitt Romney in the press file just now.

McCaskill was stepping out of her chair at the end of an MSNBC interview, and Romney was up next. She and a staffer unplugged her various wires, and she handed Romney the earpiece the guests use to hear the host.

"I spit on this before I put it in," she said to Romney, with a sweet smile