PDA

View Full Version : Son of Democrat lawmaker indicted in hacking of Sarah Palin's email

Little-Acorn
10-08-2008, 06:02 PM
I haven't heard a word about this for weeks in any of the national news outlets.

Can you imagine the uproar if a son of a Republican lawmaker had hacked into Barack Obama's or Joe Biden's emails and handed the contents around?

-----------------------------------

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D93MDSE80&show_article=1

Son of Tenn. Democrat indicted in Palin hacking

Oct 8 12:18 PM US/Eastern
By DUNCAN MANSFIELD
Associated Press Writer

KNOXVILLE, Tenn. (AP) - The son of a Democratic Tennessee state lawmaker pleaded not guilty Wednesday to hacking the e-mail account of Republican vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin.

David Kernell, 20, of Knoxville, Tenn. entered the plea in federal court in Knoxville, the same day prosecutors unsealed an indictment charging him with intentionally accessing Palin's e-mail account without authorization.

Kernell, an economics student at the University of Tennessee, was brought into court wearing handcuffs and shackles on his ankles.

He was released without posting bond, but the court forbade him from owning a computer and limited his Internet use to checking e-mail and doing class work.

Kernell's father is longtime state Rep. Mike Kernell of Memphis, chairman of Tennessee's House Government Operations Committee. The lawmaker has said he had nothing to do with the hacking incident.

David Kernell was indicted Tuesday by a federal grand jury in Knoxville and faces a maximum of five years in prison, a $250,000 fine and three years of supervised release. Trial is set for Dec. 16.

Prosecutors declined to say if anyone else would be charged. U.S. Magistrate Judge C. Clifford Shirley restricted Kernell from discussing the case with any potential witnesses, which include his roommates.

Kernell was also restricted from having any contact directly or indirectly with the Alaska governor or her family.

Shirley warned that if Kernell violated any part of his release conditions, he would be held until the trial.

Kernell's attorney, Wade Davies, accompanied his client in court.

"As soon as we found out about the charges this morning, David voluntarily turned himself in," said Davies, who refused to answer any other questions.

The indictment alleges that on Sept. 16 Kernell reset the password to Palin's personal e-mail account to gain access to it. Authorities say Kernell then read the contents of the account and made screenshots of the e-mail directory, e-mail content and other personal information, later posting some of the information to a public Web site.

MtnBiker
10-08-2008, 06:14 PM
I doubt he will see a day in jail, what a shame.

emmett
10-08-2008, 06:24 PM
Funny, the press doesn't seem interested in this story!

MtnBiker
10-08-2008, 06:26 PM
Funny, the press doesn't seem interested in this story!

Had there been anything in the emails damaging to Palin the media would be all over it and they would say it was her fault.

Noir
10-08-2008, 06:34 PM
Had there been anything in the emails damaging to Palin the media would be all over it and they would say it was her fault.

and the media would have every right to, they are there to report, if palin was linked with bad goings on you could not expect the media to ignore it because of how the information was aquired, yet you would not support this, what if obama's emails had been hacked and there were corospondants between him and Ayers, would you then also argue for the media to hush it up because of how it was brought about?

Just to make clear, I do not support hacking of this nature, I am however sayng that the media has every right to report such stories and outcomes.

MtnBiker
10-08-2008, 06:41 PM
and the media would have ever right to, they are there to report, if palin was linked with bad goings on you could not expect the media t ignore it becade of how the information was aquired, yet you would not support this, what f obama's emails had been hacked and there were corospondants between him and Ayers, would you then also argue for the media to hush it up becade of how it was brought about?

Just to make clear, I do not support hacking of this nature, I am however sayng that the media has every right to report such stories and outcomes.

I do believe Obama deserves every right to his private email and would be in support of the media covering such an event. My point is the lack of media intrest in a crime committed against a Republican canidate. Had this happened to Biden by a son of Republican state law maker there would be a witch hunt out for the accused. And equally if there were something damaging in the emails by Palin the media would be going bonkers over the story. As it is, she only had a crime committed against her and the media is mostly silent about it.

namvet
10-08-2008, 07:50 PM
with liberal parents is easy to beat this.

Psychoblues
10-08-2008, 11:43 PM
I can't speak for fauxnews but I know for a fact this story was reported on CBS, NBC, ABC, CNN and MSNBC. It was even reported that the emails contained nothing of any concern to anyone beyond Phalin. I think the main gist was that the account was hacked by a student of the University of Tennesse and he was the son of a Democratic politician. It was also reported in a number of print media. That's about all I can remember about it.

:salute::cheers2::clap::laugh2::cheers2::salute:

mundame
10-09-2008, 08:50 AM
I can't speak for fauxnews but I know for a fact this story was reported on CBS, NBC, ABC, CNN and MSNBC. It was even reported that the emails contained nothing of any concern to anyone beyond Phalin. I think the main gist was that the account was hacked by a student of the University of Tennesse and he was the son of a Democratic politician. It was also reported in a number of print media. That's about all I can remember about it.

It seemed to me well-covered by the news. I saw it widespread yesterday, including on the Fox evening news. And it's been reported on periodically since it happened, that I've seen.

Just some fool kid --- they are taking away his computer as a term of his getting out on bail!! He can't use a computer or get on the Internet except for finding class work. That'll about kill someone as good with computers as all that, and also won't help him keep up ---- which is what he needs to land a hot computer job later. What he did was hard......but he didn't plan ahead enough to hide his tracks adequately.

Good solution to computer crime, IMO.

darin
10-09-2008, 08:53 AM
At this point it's almost silly to focus on the guy's dad.

mundame
10-09-2008, 09:24 AM
At this point it's almost silly to focus on the guy's dad.

Yes, I agree. Though it IS possible that the kid was hoping to get something juicy on Palin because he shares his dad's Dem politics, I suppose. Wow, suppose there had been hot notes between her an an aide or some such.

My guess is that he was looking for something to blow her up, and that would be political.

Immanuel
10-09-2008, 10:14 AM
He was released without posting bond, but the court forbade him from owning a computer and limited his Internet use to checking e-mail and doing class work.

My Lord!!! Anything but my computer!! Take anything... here... here's my wife, my kids, my savings account... take anything but my computer! :laugh2:

Okay, getting serious.

I hope this kid does at least 20 years hard time and I don't feel that way because he is a Democratic Congressman's son. They need to get tough with hackers. These are the people that steal identies and make people's lives miserable. Let him rot in prison if he is guilty.

Immie

mundame
10-09-2008, 10:26 AM
These are the people that steal identies and make people's lives miserable.

Interesting point --------- that IS what he did, in fact.

He stole her identity.