PDA

View Full Version : NY cops indicted in groom shooting

LiberalNation
03-17-2007, 01:48 PM
Takes them long enough with these type cases. If it hadn't been cops they'd have been on trial a long time ago. Seems like the cops did wrong here, will see how it turns out.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070317/ts_nm/newyork_shooting_dc;_ylt=ArJUL3z5FA6TKKxRKf04.fZ34 T0D

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Three New York police officers will be indicted on Monday on criminal charges for firing 50 shots at three unarmed black men, killing one on his wedding day, the head of a detectives' union said on Friday.

The case has generated outrage among blacks in New York and prompted a series of protests.

Michael Palladino, president of the Detectives' Endowment Association, told a news conference three New York Police Department officers would be indicted in the fatal shooting of Sean Bell hours before his wedding on November 25.

Palladino said he had not been informed of the content of the indictments or whether the officers will now face trial for murder, as some in the black community have called for.

Queens District Attorney Richard Brown said he will announce the results of the sealed grand jury investigation at a news conference on 11 a.m. on Monday.

Such investigations are secret. Brown said in a statement the results would remain sealed until Monday.

A grand jury indictment means the panel has found there is enough evidence for a trial.

Bell was leaving a bachelor party at a strip club with two friends hours before he was to marry the mother of his two children when five police officers fired 50 bullets at his car in the belief that one of the men had gone to fetch a gun to settle a dispute at the club.

"These indictments will have a chilling effect," Palladino said, adding he believed the officers committed no crime.

"They took the action they took in good faith and pursuant to their lawful duties," he said. "I firmly disagree with the decision to indict these officers."

Palladino stressed that the standard to indict was much lower than it was to convict someone: "They say you can indict a ham sandwich, or even a rock."

Police have put 1,700 officers on alert in anticipation of the grand jury decision, mindful that activists have pledged a fierce reaction if the officers are cleared of wrongdoing.

"No one has the right even with badge and uniform to become the judge, jury and executioner," Rev. Al Sharpton said earlier at a news conference with the family of Bell, 23, by his side.

Sharpton, who has been acting as a spokesman for the family, said sources told him some of the charges the officers would be indicted on will be serious but he did not elaborate.

"We are not looking for revenge. We are looking for it to not happen again," he said.

The two survivors -- Joseph Guzman, 31, and Trent Benefield, 23 -- say police did not show their badges before opening fire and they believed they were being robbed.

jimnyc
03-17-2007, 07:37 PM
I think these guys were up to no good, but not worthy of being shot at 50 times! That's an awful lot of slugs to unload on some unarmed guys.

LiberalNation
03-17-2007, 08:02 PM
Yep.

Yurt
03-17-2007, 08:47 PM
I think these guys were up to no good, but not worthy of being shot at 50 times! That's an awful lot of slugs to unload on some unarmed guys.

Though, if what these guys allege is true, and they were using their vehicle as a weapon and if the cops reasonable thought there was a gun, then who is to say if that is excessive? Sure they are given training, but if that were a war zone, no one would say boo for that many shots. IMHO, a situation like that (assuming what they say is true) then it was justified.

If not true, bye bye.

Hugh Lincoln
03-18-2007, 10:00 AM
Yep.

Would you change your tune if I announced two of the cops were black?

LiberalNation
03-18-2007, 10:11 AM
No I wouldn't, nor if the people the cops shot were white or whatever.

Sitarro
03-18-2007, 10:12 AM
Would you change your tune if I announced two of the cops were black?

I'm sure they are being accussed of being oreos.

Sitarro
03-18-2007, 10:38 AM
What were they using? A Glock 22 holds 15 rounds of 40 caliber bullets where a Glock 17 holds 17 9mm bullets. I would think they weren't counting in the heat of the moment and a clip worth goes pretty quickly. That is one clip apiece if they were using Glock 17s.

LiberalNation
03-18-2007, 10:43 AM
Which is still wayy to much to load into a car full of unarmed people while you're not even in uniform. Since they weren't it is possible the guys did not know they were cops, not to mention when someone is shooting at you, you try to get away so don't fault them for that either.

Dilloduck
03-18-2007, 10:44 AM
What were they using? A Glock 22 holds 15 rounds of 40 caliber bullets where a Glock 17 holds 17 9mm bullets. I would think they weren't counting in the heat of the moment and a clip worth goes pretty quickly. That is one clip apiece if they were using Glock 17s.

This is how they figure it. If a minority is shot, the cops fired too many rounds.

LiberalNation
03-18-2007, 10:45 AM
If unarmed people are shot, the cops fired to many rounds.

Dilloduck
03-18-2007, 10:57 AM

People are always armed.

LiberalNation
03-18-2007, 11:06 AM
:finger3:

Dilloduck
03-18-2007, 11:17 AM
:finger3:

See---Looky there--you have two of em ! :lol:

LiberalNation
03-18-2007, 11:26 AM
lol

Hobbit
03-18-2007, 12:39 PM

It's easy for you to say that now, but when you're a NY cop, and you've seen your fellow cops gunned down in the streets during routine traffic stops, you can't walk up and pat down a suspect or wait to see if the gun is actually loaded before you open fire. These cops lay their lives on the line. The least we can do is let them defend themselves.

Hugh Lincoln
03-18-2007, 01:54 PM
No I wouldn't, nor if the people the cops shot were white or whatever.

OK, I'll take you at word on this. But if the victims were white, there would be no coverage of it, no Sharpton, no protests, no indictments by the Queens DA and we wouldn't be sitting here discussing it.