PDA

View Full Version : Another step completed...

KitchenKitten99
10-09-2008, 10:27 AM
For my going back to school.
I completed the FAFSA. I qualify for a $1000 Pell grant, which covers 3 of my 6 general classes required. I will be taking my general ed classes at the local community college (Anoka-Ramsey-i started there 8 years ago for a different degree, but dropped out due to lack of interest and funds), so my classes will be cheaper and I can maximize my grants. I qualify income-wise for one of my classes to be at no charge at A/R, so really, I will only need loans/aid to cover 2 classes.

I don't know when I will actually be able to start Le Cordon Bleu itself, because I have to see how much I can get for student loans and student aid. So for now, I am going to spread my generals out to one class per semester until I know whether or not I can go to LCB next fall like I want. If I can't, I will go back to work FT, and see if I can't set some money aside first, to help offset the cost when I do go. If I need to push LCB farther out, I can spread my 6 general classes to last a year or so if I need to.

However I will be doing what I can to apply for scholarships, as most applications I am finding, start in Nov/Dec/Jan. I bought a book listing every single scholarship offered in the US and I have marked each one I just might qualify for. So, here's hoping!

I now have to go over to A/R and 'declare' my major and schedule the placement re-testing since it has been 8 years since I was last in any kind of classroom.

I can't believe this is really happening now! :eek:

Kathianne
10-09-2008, 10:37 AM
For my going back to school.
I completed the FAFSA. I qualify for a $1000 Pell grant, which covers 3 of my 6 general classes required. I will be taking my general ed classes at the local community college (Anoka-Ramsey-i started there 8 years ago for a different degree, but dropped out due to lack of interest and funds), so my classes will be cheaper and I can maximize my grants. I qualify income-wise for one of my classes to be at no charge at A/R, so really, I will only need loans/aid to cover 2 classes.

I don't know when I will actually be able to start Le Cordon Bleu itself, because I have to see how much I can get for student loans and student aid. So for now, I am going to spread my generals out to one class per semester until I know whether or not I can go to LCB next fall like I want. If I can't, I will go back to work FT, and see if I can't set some money aside first, to help offset the cost when I do go. If I need to push LCB farther out, I can spread my 6 general classes to last a year or so if I need to.

However I will be doing what I can to apply for scholarships, as most applications I am finding, start in Nov/Dec/Jan. I bought a book listing every single scholarship offered in the US and I have marked each one I just might qualify for. So, here's hoping!

I now have to go over to A/R and 'declare' my major and schedule the placement re-testing since it has been 8 years since I was last in any kind of classroom.

I can't believe this is really happening now! :eek:

Good for you! Congratulations on this new venture!

KitchenKitten99
10-09-2008, 12:21 PM
Good for you! Congratulations on this new venture!

As excited as I am, it's kinda scary too...

Kathianne
10-09-2008, 12:37 PM
As excited as I am, it's kinda scary too...

Nah, you'll do great.

It's amazing how well you can do, when the focus is school and not dating/partying. :laugh2:

KitchenKitten99
10-09-2008, 12:49 PM
Nah, you'll do great.

It's amazing how well you can do, when the focus is school and not dating/partying. :laugh2:

Well, this is HUGE for me/us. Financially and commitment-wise. One of those times where you spend lots of time dreaming/thinking/planning, and when it actually happens... it's like the 'deer-in-headlights' effect. I just gotta be careful about my 'panic-mode' (like cold-feet) I tend to go into with big, life-changing deals such as this. I don't want it to affect my grades.

Abbey Marie
10-09-2008, 12:56 PM
Was the FAFSA application as annoying as it's said to be?

Noir
10-09-2008, 01:01 PM
Awesome :) best of luck ta ya.

Kathianne
10-09-2008, 01:04 PM

Annoying, not as bad as 1040. ;)

KitchenKitten99
10-09-2008, 01:07 PM

Not all that annoying only because I am a non-traditional adult student relying upon my own income history rather than my parents' and I have dependents and a spouse, so the info needed was a little different.

But it was definitely a longer application than I figured, even with the difference in student-type. Good thing is you can apply online, and if you can't finish in one sitting, you can save your application and go back to it later. I had to since I needed my tax filing info from last year and it was in storage.

KitchenKitten99
10-09-2008, 01:12 PM
Annoying, not as bad as 1040. ;)

try a 1040, with a schedule c, schedule a, and stacks of receipts for proof of $ spent for 2 different small-businesses plus regular w-2 income filing... :puke:

Abbey Marie
10-09-2008, 01:14 PM
try a 1040, with a schedule c, schedule a, and stacks of receipts for proof of $ spent for 2 different small-businesses plus regular w-2 income filing... :puke:

One year, I once had to file three different state returns (NY, NJ, and PA) simultaneously. Just shoot me now. That was the first year I discovered the joys of hiring a CPA.

KitchenKitten99
10-09-2008, 01:22 PM
One year, I once had to file three different state returns (NY, NJ, and PA) simultaneously. Just shoot me now. That was the first year I discovered the joys of hiring a CPA.

I've always had someone else do my taxes, the same CPA I have used even when I was only a teen working. Been with them for 13 years now.

There's no way I would even file myself if I just had the usual w-2's and typical homeowner deductions. CPA's (if they're good) can find stuff for you to write off that you didn't think you could or know about. I don't trust the software you can buy because that can still lead to problems.

Best let a professional handle it. Plus if the numbers turn out incorrect, you aren't solely to blame. My CPA guarantees his work and states (in writing) that if the numbers submitted are wrong (say we owe more than what was originally figured due to audit), provided we have given them all the needed documents to file correctly, then he will not only refund our filing fee, but pay the difference in what we owe to the gov't for us. If the numbers are wrong, but in our favor, he'll refund 1/2 the fee anyway.

MtnBiker
10-09-2008, 01:29 PM
Hey, you are putting your Mise En Place together. Very good!

KitchenKitten99
10-09-2008, 01:34 PM
Hey, you are putting your Mise En Place together. Very good!

Doing what everything I can!
:2up: :beer:

AFbombloader
10-09-2008, 04:45 PM
Good luck with the school. I am right behind ya. I have three weeks left in the AF and I will be looking to start school in Jan/Feb. I am lucky to have the GI Bill so I don't have to worry as much about the finances. Since I ave been applying for jobs the last few weeks I have become painfully aware of the education requirements in todays job market. I do have two AS degrees, but everyone is liikong for BS/BA +. Again, best of luck.

AF:salute:

Kathianne
10-09-2008, 05:52 PM
Good luck with the school. I am right behind ya. I have three weeks left in the AF and I will be looking to start school in Jan/Feb. I am lucky to have the GI Bill so I don't have to worry as much about the finances. Since I ave been applying for jobs the last few weeks I have become painfully aware of the education requirements in todays job market. I do have two AS degrees, but everyone is liikong for BS/BA +. Again, best of luck.

AF:salute:

To you too! Best of luck and I'm glad you have earned the GI Bill. Thank you! :salute:

AFbombloader
10-09-2008, 06:34 PM
To you too! Best of luck and I'm glad you have earned the GI Bill. Thank you! :salute:

Thanks Kat. I will use every penny of it too. I am looking forward to the bill being updated, they passed it recently. It will mean about a grand more a month. With the new bill, I could actually go to school full time and not be in the poor house.

Kathianne
10-09-2008, 06:50 PM
Thanks Kat. I will use every penny of it too. I am looking forward to the bill being updated, they passed it recently. It will mean about a grand more a month. With the new bill, I could actually go to school full time and not be in the poor house.

Hopefully by the time you have completed your education, the economy will be healing. ;)