PDA

View Full Version : Dow below 9000

10-09-2008, 02:33 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081009/ap_on_bi_st_ma_re/wall_street

Damn i wish i had some money. This is a great buyers market. But i guess you need money to make money.

mundame
10-09-2008, 03:17 PM

Damn i wish i had some money. This is a great buyers market. But i guess you need money to make money.

Not yet it isn't.

Don't buy now and watch everything drop another 2,000 --- perish the thought.

The Dow did drop 678 today, however. Seventh straight day down, right?

We could be in trouble and not really know it yet. I sent for and am now rereading Galbraith's "1929: The Great Crash."

Just sayin'.

10-09-2008, 03:22 PM
not know it?

mundame
10-09-2008, 03:38 PM
not know it?

Yeah, we don't yet know it.

It's all theoretical to most people. Most people still have their jobs. (though ten of us here just got laid off -- this is the second round for us, the Army is going broke with the expenses of this war.) Most people's banks have NOT started doing weird things, like WaMu going into receivership, which scares their depositors. (Though my BB&T did some VERY odd things Sept. 16 and I got out of there fastest to another local bank.) Most people don't need loans for cars or houses right now, they are still getting paychecks, they don't need their direly shrunk 401(k)s right now, there is still gas in the pumps and food in the markets -----------------

Anything about that changes inside the month of October, politics could get interesting.

I tell you, Avatar, yet ANOTHER day with the Dow down more than 7% ----- how many more of these can there be before it starts to, like, have an effect the ordinary citizen can see and feel? Here and now?

I mean, the stock market can't really go down to zero, after all, and it not have any effect.

I keep thinking one of these many moves will WORK --- and they don't. Credit is still frozen, the market still plunges. I am starting now to feel in my stomach why our finance guys are so obviously worried.

We can still fuss and carry on now, but at some point things may get too dangerous to be able to complain anymore.

April15
10-09-2008, 05:50 PM
Yeah, we don't yet know it.

It's all theoretical to most people. Most people still have their jobs. (though ten of us here just got laid off -- this is the second round for us, the Army is going broke with the expenses of this war.) Most people's banks have NOT started doing weird things, like WaMu going into receivership, which scares their depositors. (Though my BB&T did some VERY odd things Sept. 16 and I got out of there fastest to another local bank.) Most people don't need loans for cars or houses right now, they are still getting paychecks, they don't need their direly shrunk 401(k)s right now, there is still gas in the pumps and food in the markets -----------------

Anything about that changes inside the month of October, politics could get interesting.

I tell you, Avatar, yet ANOTHER day with the Dow down more than 7% ----- how many more of these can there be before it starts to, like, have an effect the ordinary citizen can see and feel? Here and now?

I mean, the stock market can't really go down to zero, after all, and it not have any effect.

I keep thinking one of these many moves will WORK --- and they don't. Credit is still frozen, the market still plunges. I am starting now to feel in my stomach why our finance guys are so obviously worried.

We can still fuss and carry on now, but at some point things may get too dangerous to be able to complain anymore.

We past the point of return when Bush was elected 8 years ago. The free market republicans brought this on all of us and will walk away none the worse while the rest suffer.

10-09-2008, 06:27 PM
We past the point of return when Bush was elected 8 years ago. The free market republicans brought this on all of us and will walk away none the worse while the rest suffer.

if you noticed, the economy was fine till the Democrats got elected in 06. Just pointing out the obvious.

AFbombloader
10-09-2008, 06:41 PM

Enough with the Bush is at fault crap! This crisis was brought on by every president, every congressman, every senator we have had since we left the gold standard, 1972 I believe. None of them did anything to prevent this. They all passed budgets that spent more than we took in, they all put their pork into the same bugdets. They all looked the other way when the signs were there that we were approaching this! What have any of them done in the past almost 40 years? NOTHING! Get that through you thick ass partisan skull!

April15
10-09-2008, 07:13 PM
if you noticed, the economy was fine till the Democrats got elected in 06. Just pointing out the obvious.If you noticed what was going on for the last 8 years this economic development would not be surprising. It is the end result of free market capitalism. Greed exceeds ability.

April15
10-09-2008, 07:16 PM
Enough with the Bush is at fault crap! This crisis was brought on by every president, every congressman, every senator we have had since we left the gold standard, 1972 I believe. None of them did anything to prevent this. They all passed budgets that spent more than we took in, they all put their pork into the same bugdets. They all looked the other way when the signs were there that we were approaching this! What have any of them done in the past almost 40 years? NOTHING! Get that through you thick ass partisan skull!I hate to admit you are right, so i won't. It's Bush's fault.

Gaffer
10-09-2008, 07:22 PM
I hate to admit you are right, so i won't. It's Bush's fault.

No it's global warming.

Yurt
10-09-2008, 07:31 PM

it is funny you should say that....i was telling my wife that a year ago...and probably said that 4 years ago....one of the partners at the firm i am aquainted/work with, bought real estate in the middle 90's here in SLO. dirt cheap. when i first met him, he wanted to retire (middle 40's) because his real estate investments made him so much money, he could afford to retire. i was green with envy. in 2005 he sold every property he owned. i asked him why, for at that time property was still going way up in SLO. he said, the market is going to go down.....i said (of course i had no $ invested) no way....this area is unique, land is a premium and Cal Poly ensures a continued rise in the market. he said, this is like the stock bubble, it will go down and i am getting out now.

smart man. my guess is, he put his money is bonds etc...., however, he continued to work, part time...lately, he is working more, much more.....

strange. so i told my wife this past week, well, i am not rich yet, but interestingly enough, we missed the stock explosion and the real estate explosion (in school/newbie), however, since we don't have much, we havn't lost much....

AFbombloader
10-09-2008, 07:51 PM

what exactly is so difficult about laying the blame on the forheads of those responsible? If a lifelong republican, me, can see that the idiots I voted for are responsible for the mess we are in why can't you do the same for the other side? This is not a party issue, they are both to blame. As well as the corporations like F. May & F. Mac that used irresponsible practices that made this worse. Be real, for a change.

Yurt
10-09-2008, 07:52 PM

right, because every dem is innocent...that is a party hack

actsnoblemartin
10-09-2008, 08:13 PM
stupid political games, reminds me of stupid pet tricks

the dems had a lot to do with it!

April15
10-09-2008, 09:03 PM
what exactly is so difficult about laying the blame on the forheads of those responsible? If a lifelong republican, me, can see that the idiots I voted for are responsible for the mess we are in why can't you do the same for the other side? This is not a party issue, they are both to blame. As well as the corporations like F. May & F. Mac that used irresponsible practices that made this worse. Be real, for a change.I just like typing, It's Bush's fault.

mundame
10-10-2008, 09:55 AM
Enough with the Bush is at fault crap! This crisis was brought on by every president, every congressman, every senator we have had since we left the gold standard, 1972 I believe.

That was Nixon. He did indeed leave the gold standard that year, and a lot of people do blame that. Certainly the fall of the dollar the past couple years is an indication that there is a problem here.

mundame
10-10-2008, 10:00 AM
I just like typing, It's Bush's fault.

http://forums.offtopic.com/images/smilies/happysad.gif Why not, he's being blamed for everything else. Make it a clean sweep.

This may be the only thing Bush ISN'T to blame for --- He tried to get Fannie Mae reformed, but the Dems wouldn't.

April15
10-10-2008, 02:49 PM
http://forums.offtopic.com/images/smilies/happysad.gif Why not, he's being blamed for everything else. Make it a clean sweep.

This may be the only thing Bush ISN'T to blame for --- He tried to get Fannie Mae reformed, but the Dems wouldn't.AFbombloader is pretty close to exactly why this nation is where it is. We the voter have done bad jjobs in electing our representatives in office.
It's bush's fault! I sure will miss the easy rise in conservatives with that phrase.

trobinett
10-10-2008, 06:59 PM
I just like typing, It's Bush's fault.

And, your getting good at it!

Doesn't make it right, but it sure is predicable..........:lame2:

April15
10-10-2008, 07:55 PM
And, your getting good at it!

Doesn't make it right, but it sure is predicable..........:lame2:
I should be I have been typing it for 8 years almost!!

Mr. P
10-10-2008, 08:27 PM
AFbombloader is pretty close to exactly why this nation is where it is. We the voter have done bad jjobs in electing our representatives in office.
It's bush's fault! I sure will miss the easy rise in conservatives with that phrase.

I should be I have been typing it for 8 years almost!!

So you pretty much admit yer not here to post anything of substance or anything meaningful..I knew that.

AFbombloader
10-10-2008, 08:55 PM
AFbombloader is pretty close to exactly why this nation is where it is. We the voter have done bad jjobs in electing our representatives in office.

pretty close.......I'll take that as agreement. Thanks April, I know that had to be difficult to type:cheers2:

5stringJeff
10-10-2008, 09:19 PM
Enough with the Bush is at fault crap! This crisis was brought on by every president, every congressman, every senator we have had since we left the gold standard, 1972 I believe. None of them did anything to prevent this. They all passed budgets that spent more than we took in, they all put their pork into the same bugdets. They all looked the other way when the signs were there that we were approaching this! What have any of them done in the past almost 40 years? NOTHING! Get that through you thick ass partisan skull!

:clap: :clap: :clap:

We ought to return to hard currency (i.e. the gold standard) ASAP.

Mr. P
10-10-2008, 10:09 PM
:clap: :clap: :clap:

We ought to return to hard currency (i.e. the gold standard) ASAP.

and take the Panama canal back too. We build it damn it.

5stringJeff
10-11-2008, 11:43 AM
and take the Panama canal back too. We build it damn it.

Or at least let Panama pay us for it.