PDA

View Full Version : Diversity- What does it mean to you?

Powerman
03-18-2007, 03:19 AM
Personally the word diversity has a couple meanings for me

One of them is utterly meaningless and the other one is positive

Let's pretend we're talking about the workplace for a second. Diversity in terms of having people from multiple ethnicities is completely overrated and not important in any way form or fashion. Anyone who tries to pretend for a second that racial or gender diversity is important should be beaten with an inch of their lives for being stupid.

The only important diversity in the work place is your skill set. If you have a diverse skill set then you're a valuable employee.

How could anyone be so pretentious to possibly care about race and gender? Get the best people in your office to do the job, regardless of race. Racial diversity = pretentious nonsense that no sane person actually cares about.

KarlMarx
03-18-2007, 05:12 AM
Diversity = B.S.

There is no need for diversity programs at all.

We have the Civil Rights Act of 1964 that makes it illegal to discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, sex, national origin...

What more do you need? My approval? I'm supposed to agree with everything you do in your personal life? Why? What ever happened to free thought?

Diversity is just brainwashing for employees at different companies to get them to buy into affirmative action, gender and racial quotas and set asides, plus of course the "G" word.... soft selling acceptance of the gay lifestyle to the rest of us...

Hugh Lincoln
03-18-2007, 09:36 AM
Funny thing is, under one left-wing line, "All races are the same. We're all one people under the skin color."

But another is, "Diversity is our greatest strength."

Yet both cannot be true. Else our only differences are superficial, and how can anything superficial be a strength?

Dilloduck
03-18-2007, 10:54 AM
Diversity is the means that a totalitarian government keeps its people in check. It's a built in self destruct mechanism that an oppressive government can employ to pit the general population against each other. For a diverse group of individuals to unite against government policy is nearly impossible. Diversity ensures weakness.

Abbey Marie
03-18-2007, 11:30 AM
Diversity = the downfall of France, and eventually possibly all of Europe.

5stringJeff
03-18-2007, 01:11 PM
ITa, Powerman.

Powerman
03-18-2007, 01:19 PM
I'm not familiar with that short hand...

5stringJeff
03-18-2007, 01:35 PM
I'm not familiar with that short hand...

ITA = I Totally Agree.

Mr. P
03-18-2007, 01:39 PM
Diversity- What does it mean to you?

For me Diversity is not investing ALL yer $$$ in one segment of the market, human Diversity is just BS feel good chit.

GW in Ohio
03-19-2007, 10:30 AM
What does diversity mean?

It means the white guys no longer control this country.

It means women, Hispanics, Asian-Americans and black Americans all have an equal shot at success and wealth and power.

Is that pissing some of you white guys off?

KarlMarx
03-19-2007, 11:43 AM

It means women, Hispanics, Asian-Americans and black Americans all have an equal shot at success and wealth and power.

Oh I see, White/Straight/Guy = Bad,

Black/Hispanic/Woman/Gay = Good

Two sets of rules, one for the so called "oppressors", the other for the "victims"

Blacks can't be racist
Women can't be sexist
Gays can't be bigotted

Confiscate the property of the "oppressors", give it to the "victims"
Sue and prosecute the "oppressors" for racism, give the "victims" a pass when they do the same thing
Set asides/quotas for the "victims"

That's what diversity means to me

5stringJeff
03-19-2007, 01:00 PM

Every minority already has an equal shot at success, etc.

CSM
03-19-2007, 02:24 PM
Diversity to me means having a variety of guns and ammo on hand to meet most contingencies.

GW in Ohio
03-19-2007, 03:16 PM
Every minority already has an equal shot at success, etc.

They do now. That wasn't always the case. It took some pushing.

There was this thing called the civil rights struggle. Then there was that event called women's rights.

Karl Marx: If you're going to comment on my posts, try not to do so in a lazy or dishonest manner.

I never said white guys were bad. Or that black people or gays can do no wrong.

I did say that for a long time, white guys ruled this country. And many of them didn't like having to share power with women or black people.

Birdzeye
03-19-2007, 04:06 PM
I did say that for a long time, white guys ruled this country. And many of them didn't like having to share power with women or black people.

And some of them still don't.

5stringJeff
03-19-2007, 06:18 PM
They do now. That wasn't always the case. It took some pushing.

There was this thing called the civil rights struggle. Then there was that event called women's rights.

Karl Marx: If you're going to comment on my posts, try not to do so in a lazy or dishonest manner.

I never said white guys were bad. Or that black people or gays can do no wrong.

No one is arguing that whites should push down women and minorities.

I argue that affirmative action programs and forced diversity are counter-productive.

gabosaurus
03-19-2007, 10:17 PM
For most Republicans, "diversity" means white or whiter. Or moderate Republican views as opposed to conservative Republican views.

manu1959
03-19-2007, 10:25 PM

Let's pretend we're talking about the workplace for a second. Diversity in terms of having people from multiple ethnicities is completely overrated and not important in any way form or fashion. Anyone who tries to pretend for a second that racial or gender diversity is important should be beaten with an inch of their lives for being stupid.

The only important diversity in the work place is your skill set. If you have a diverse skill set then you're a valuable employee.

How could anyone be so pretentious to possibly care about race and gender? Get the best people in your office to do the job, regardless of race. Racial diversity = pretentious nonsense that no sane person actually cares about.

uhhhhhhhhh....which one was this? :lol:

GW in Ohio
03-20-2007, 08:18 AM
No one is arguing that whites should push down women and minorities.

I argue that affirmative action programs and forced diversity are counter-productive.

Jeff: I don't really like affirmative action or programs that mandate diversity. In an ideal world, women and blacks would be judged on their own merits and be able to compete on an equal footing with white males.

But this isn't an ideal world. For a long time, black people and women were kept down.....kept in their place.

Affirmative action broke down barriers that might still be in place if white guys hadn't been forced to open the door a crack and let women and blacks in.

But I believe affirmative action has done its job and should now be retired. To continue to mandate diversity through affirmative action now would be counter productive.

And I would say to black people: You've got an opportunity now to be whatever you want to be. Don't use "bad schools" as an excuse. If your kid goes to a bad school, get up off your ass and do something about it. You can be a success, but no one's going to hand it to you.

The ClayTaurus
03-20-2007, 09:14 AM

How could anyone be so pretentious to possibly care about race and gender? Get the best people in your office to do the job, regardless of race. Racial diversity = pretentious nonsense that no sane person actually cares about.I agree and disagree. I feel the most qualified people should hold jobs, but I disagree that nothing can be learned from diversity. The problem often is there is a lack of mutual respect in conjunction with forced (and unforced) diversity.

In a situation where people of diverse backgrounds work together and truly respect each other, there is much to be gained.

5stringJeff
03-20-2007, 11:47 AM
Jeff: I don't really like affirmative action or programs that mandate diversity. In an ideal world, women and blacks would be judged on their own merits and be able to compete on an equal footing with white males.

But this isn't an ideal world. For a long time, black people and women were kept down.....kept in their place.

Affirmative action broke down barriers that might still be in place if white guys hadn't been forced to open the door a crack and let women and blacks in.

But I believe affirmative action has done its job and should now be retired. To continue to mandate diversity through affirmative action now would be counter productive.

And I would say to black people: You've got an opportunity now to be whatever you want to be. Don't use "bad schools" as an excuse. If your kid goes to a bad school, get up off your ass and do something about it. You can be a success, but no one's going to hand it to you.

I think we pretty much agree, then.

Hugh Lincoln
03-21-2007, 06:04 PM

If the tables were turned, and it were blacks who had to "open the door a crack", you wouldn't be chortling about blacks being "pissed off."

SassyLady
03-22-2007, 01:41 AM

What Powerman said.

SassyLady
03-22-2007, 01:56 AM

Why is this a bad thing?

No it doesn't........it just means that more small businesses are going out of business due to all the compliance requirements to keep up with diversity, instead of putting their resources to improving their products and/or being able to hire more skilled workers.

It sure pisses this white female off!

I worked hard to get where I'm at and I did it without any affirmative action or the crutch of diversity behind me. I worked fulltime, raised three kids, and went to night school to get my degree and skill set. I don't give a hairy rat's ass what gender, color or sexual persuasion you are ..... if you don't have the skill set to get the job done.......go somewhere else.

SassyLady
03-22-2007, 02:06 AM
For most Republicans, "diversity" means white or whiter. Or moderate Republican views as opposed to conservative Republican views.

I'm not a Pub - but diversity to me seems to breed a sense of separateness. Celebrating diversity - differences - doesn't seem to strengthen anything. I certainly feel that when this country started moving more towards diversity rather than assimilation, it created a web of cracks in our society that are slowing getting wider and wider

To build a foundation for a house you don't keep the water and cemet separate.......you blend them and create concrete.

Recognize and honor differences, but don't let diversity be the prime directive.

mundame
03-22-2007, 11:44 AM
Funny thing is, under one left-wing line, "All races are the same. We're all one people under the skin color."

But another is, "Diversity is our greatest strength."

Yet both cannot be true. Else our only differences are superficial, and how can anything superficial be a strength?

Wonderful!

I think "diversity" is weakness for a nation; the basic Wilsonian idea of nationstates is homogeneity.

For a long time this nation achieved strength through homogeneity by assimilating immigrants, and that worked well. Now we can't, because many of the "diverse" elements don't want to assimilate.

So now we are supposed to champion "multiethnicity." But I think that is a weakness for a nationstate, as with France now, or the many countries where Muslims are furiously battling the native population for control of the country, such as in Nigeria and Thailand.

Mr. P
03-22-2007, 02:02 PM
Wonderful!

I think "diversity" is weakness for a nation; the basic Wilsonian idea of nationstates is homogeneity.

For a long time this nation achieved strength through homogeneity by assimilating immigrants, and that worked well. Now we can't, because many of the "diverse" elements don't want to assimilate.

So now we are supposed to champion "multiethnicity." But I think that is a weakness for a nationstate, as with France now, or the many countries where Muslims are furiously battling the native population for control of the country, such as in Nigeria and Thailand.
Multiethnicity/ Multiculturalism will destroy this Country faster than any terrorist movement could ever dream of.

Hugh Lincoln
03-24-2007, 03:18 PM
Multiethnicity/ Multiculturalism will destroy this Country faster than any terrorist movement could ever dream of.

Teddy Roosevelt --- several presidents before Franklin --- said, "the surest way to bring this nation to ruin would be to allow it to become a mass of squabbling nationalities."

http://www.diggersrealm.com/mt/archives/001654.html

Well, here we are.