PDA

View Full Version : Sign wars

10-14-2008, 02:29 PM
So im sitting here in a swing state, in a swing county, of a state that is supposedly going overwhelmingly for Obama. And i have to drive alot for work and alot of the other activities i do. So Ive been counting political signs to see how many people are supporting whom.

I was on the road for quite a while today. I was driving through Democrat areas near the city. The McCain signs outnumbered the Obama signs 28-6.

Now, I dont think this is a scientific method. But I have to wonder how Obama has a double digit lead in the state and one of the main counties he has to win and is expected to win is covered in McCain signs. I know everyone doesnt put signs out. But its not even competitive for signs around here.

I also know that McCain has had hard time getting Bumper stickers and signs stocked in the area. They are flying out of the office.

What are the sign counts in your neighborhood? I just am totally skeptical of how Obama is actually doing. Especially after the primary here.

mundame
10-14-2008, 02:55 PM
What are the sign counts in your neighborhood? I just am totally skeptical of how Obama is actually doing. Especially after the primary here.

Lots of McCain signs here; more than Obamalama signs.

But it's a Republican county. And I don't drive much in the black area. Maybe there are more Obama signs there.

Mr. P
10-14-2008, 02:58 PM
So im sitting here in a swing state, in a swing county, of a state that is supposedly going overwhelmingly for Obama. And i have to drive alot for work and alot of the other activities i do. So Ive been counting political signs to see how many people are supporting whom.

I was on the road for quite a while today. I was driving through Democrat areas near the city. The McCain signs outnumbered the Obama signs 28-6.

Now, I dont think this is a scientific method. But I have to wonder how Obama has a double digit lead in the state and one of the main counties he has to win and is expected to win is covered in McCain signs. I know everyone doesnt put signs out. But its not even competitive for signs around here.

I also know that McCain has had hard time getting Bumper stickers and signs stocked in the area. They are flying out of the office.

Nor does everyone vote, regardless of who they say they support.

Abbey Marie
10-14-2008, 03:04 PM
Let's analyze this one:

I was in our local pet food supply store yesterday, and they were selling "political" dog treats in the shape of cookies. One version said Obama on it, the other said McCain on it. Otherwise, same treat.

There were about 10 McCain treats left in the case.
Obama treats left: just 2.

Which led my husband and I to ponder- does this mean that Obama is more popular? Or does it mean that more people want to feed their dogs Obama-labeled treats which they can later, uh, deposit on someone's lawn in another form?

:coffee:

retiredman
10-14-2008, 03:07 PM
a lot of Obama signs have turned up missing in my town. I have had two stolen from my yard in the past two weeks.

mundame
10-14-2008, 03:11 PM
Let's analyze this one:

I was in our local pet food supply store yesterday, and they were selling "political" dog treats in the shape of cookies. One version said Obama on it, the other said McCain on it. Otherwise, same treat.

Which led my husband and I to ponder- does this mean that Obama is more popular? Or does it mean that more people want to feed their dogs Obama-labeled treats which they can later, uh, deposit on someone's lawn in another form?

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm......................I suspect those treats hit both markets.

a lot of Obama signs have turned up missing in my town. I have had two stolen from my yard in the past two weeks.

Do you think people WANT them and that's why they stole them, or it's just anti-Obama people stealing them the usual way people do in elections?

Yurt
10-14-2008, 03:12 PM

we've had that here too, how stupid, as if stealing a sign is going to affect the outcome of an election

retiredman
10-14-2008, 03:16 PM
Do you think people WANT them and that's why they stole them, or it's just anti-Obama people stealing them the usual way people do in elections?
well...according to the local campaign office, the overall number of signs out in the city has decreased, so I do not think that people are stealing them just to move them to THEIR yards, but rather to steal them in a malicious manner to decrease the signage for Obama.

mundame
10-14-2008, 03:18 PM
well...according to the local campaign office, the overall number of signs out in the city has decreased, so I do not think that people are stealing them just to move them to THEIR yards, but rather to steal them in a malicious manner to decrease the signage for Obama.

Okay, thanks. Good data.

Mr. P
10-14-2008, 03:32 PM
Let's analyze this one:

One thing for sure...the dog could care less!

Was the cost the same for both treats? Was Obamas more but the cashier looked to the next guy in line to pay the difference?

5stringJeff
10-14-2008, 03:37 PM
There are about 8 McCain signs in my neighborhood. I'd put up a Barr sign, but we are a house divided (I'm for Barr, the wife is for McCain).

Abbey Marie
10-14-2008, 03:40 PM
One thing for sure...the dog could care less!

Was the cost the same for both treats? Was Obamas more but the cashier looked to the next guy in line to pay the difference?

:laugh2:

The price was the same, but the tax charged on the Obama one was triple the McCain one.

namvet
10-14-2008, 07:05 PM
has anyone had a political sign planted in your yard without your permission???? I did. last week I came home and found 1 in my front yard. its now in my trash tote. funny thing is yesterday there was a rolled up note under my front door that said thank you for allowing us to dispay our sign. WTF???? :lame2:

signs - ugh !!!

Z1Q7cP3ij5g

hjmick
10-14-2008, 07:12 PM
Oh wow... The Five Man Electrical Band... One of the best songs of the '70s.

Yurt
10-14-2008, 07:26 PM
:laugh2:

The price was the same, but the tax charged on the Obama one was triple the McCain one.

....to spread the wealth of course

retiredman
10-14-2008, 08:24 PM
....to spread the wealth of course
hey...lawyers struggling to make ends meet will get some!

Yurt
10-14-2008, 08:40 PM

fuck you

retiredman
10-14-2008, 08:45 PM
fuck you

thanks for the positive rep, by the way!:laugh2:

did you think I was referring to YOU? I was not. PROVE otherwise or recant, asshole! hahahahahahhahahaha

Mr. P
10-14-2008, 09:36 PM

Get some what? How?

jimnyc
10-14-2008, 09:38 PM
Yurt - Your reputation given has been corrected.

Yurt
10-14-2008, 09:40 PM
thanks for the positive rep, by the way!:laugh2:

did you think I was referring to YOU? I was not. PROVE otherwise or recant, asshole! hahahahahahhahahaha

it was an accidental rep i meant to neg you and you flat out were talking about me...give me a break liar...you just oh so happen to refer to lawyers when talking to me....right "preacher"

now go back to your hiding place

manu1959

so will faux preachers feeling to mexico to retire .....

Yurt
Yurt - Your reputation given has been corrected.

i just went into edit it....thanks :cheers2:

retiredman
10-14-2008, 10:07 PM
so will faux preachers feeling to mexico to retire .....

how does one "feel to mexico", by the way?

manu1959
10-14-2008, 10:08 PM
how does one "feel to mexico", by the way?

flee...........

retiredman
10-14-2008, 10:11 PM
flee...........

I am not fleeing anywhere. I am going to where the climate is warm, the healthcare is top shelf, and the cost of living is very low, senor!

Gaffer
10-15-2008, 06:19 AM
I am not fleeing anywhere. I am going to where the climate is warm, the healthcare is top shelf, and the cost of living is very low, senor!

If it's such a utopia how come we have 20 million of them here? That top notch health care is great for all those people with TB and other contagious diseases that sneak across the border. I'm sure you will get top notch care for that heart condition as well. Just swing over to that VA clinic and get everything taken care of there in... Mexico City. I really think you should move to cuba, their health care is so much better, micheal moore says so. It has a warm climate too and the cost of living is even less. They even have your brand of politics. If your gonna go, go all the way.

retiredman
10-15-2008, 06:42 AM
If it's such a utopia how come we have 20 million of them here? That top notch health care is great for all those people with TB and other contagious diseases that sneak across the border. I'm sure you will get top notch care for that heart condition as well. Just swing over to that VA clinic and get everything taken care of there in... Mexico City. I really think you should move to cuba, their health care is so much better, micheal moore says so. It has a warm climate too and the cost of living is even less. They even have your brand of politics. If your gonna go, go all the way.

thanks for your advice. I think I'll stick to my plans. I never said it was a utopia, just a more pleasant place to retire...and an adventure that my wife and I are looking forward to.

Gaffer
10-15-2008, 07:16 AM
thanks for your advice. I think I'll stick to my plans. I never said it was a utopia, just a more pleasant place to retire...and an adventure that my wife and I are looking forward to.

With the current war between the drug cartels and the mexican government it will be an adventure.