PDA

View Full Version : Great start to my day!

jimnyc
10-16-2008, 06:40 AM
Was up till about 2am with a terrible migraine. Woke up around 6ish, logged on here shortly after just to check things out and logged right back off. Left to go get my usual morning coffee - IN MY WIFE'S CAR.

While pouring my coffee I hear *BOOM* - only to find out some guy backed into her car! Luckily there were about 6 witnesses, all who gave me their names and numbers AND it's all on security camera. It's the Mobil station and I just fixed the owners computer 2 days ago - which controls the security cameras (6 in total, one pointed directly at where he hit me).

The accident is the least of the issues. Wifey don't like me too much anyway, wait till she wakes up and sees this:

jimnyc
10-16-2008, 06:40 AM
BTW - that's a 2006 Nissan Murano with extremely low mileage and no blemishes to speak of - before now. :(

Kathianne
10-16-2008, 06:42 AM
Was up till about 2am with a terrible migraine. Woke up around 6ish, logged on here shortly after just to check things out and logged right back off. Left to go get my usual morning coffee - IN MY WIFE'S CAR.

While pouring my coffee I hear *BOOM* - only to find out some guy backed into her car! Luckily there were about 6 witnesses, all who gave me their names and numbers AND it's all on security camera. It's the Mobil station and I just fixed the owners computer 2 days ago - which controls the security cameras (6 in total, one pointed directly at where he hit me).

The accident is the least of the issues. Wifey don't like me too much anyway, wait till she wakes up and sees this:

Oh man! I'd say it's time to go back to bed, not an auspicious start to the day.

Abbey Marie
10-16-2008, 09:10 AM
The guy left the scene?

jimnyc
10-16-2008, 09:17 AM
The guy left the scene?

No, no, no! He stayed and was apologetic. Just in case he tries to change the story though, I have witnesses and the event recorded on film!

Mr. P
10-16-2008, 09:20 AM
No, no, no! He stayed and was apologetic. Just in case he tries to change the story though, I have witnesses and the event recorded on film!

That's good cuz it looks spencive to fix..new front bumper + paint.
$1800 in your area?

Abbey Marie
10-16-2008, 09:32 AM

Yes, you cannot trust people no matter what they say at the scene. I once caught a woman's car door hitting my car door as it happened. (She did not hold on to her door on a windy day, and the wind caught it and slammed it into mine).

She was very nice and apologetic, gave me her info. But when the insurance companies got involved, she lied and said the fault was mine for parking too close. An outright lie, and the company believed me and paid. The damage was so deep in the door, it had to come from a door swinging from a distance, and they l knew it. I also have no doubt that if I didn't walk out to the parking lot and see it happening, the liar would have just driven away.

Classact
10-16-2008, 09:47 AM
Sounds like you'll come out smelling like a rose!

Talking about a bad morning... I watched the debate last night thinking that the signal would be lost because we have a hurricane going over the other end of the island... lots of rain and a little wind on this end... my snoring was interrupted at 4:30 because the fan had gave me a chill, I pulled the sheet over me and rolled over to be stung by a centipede just under my armpit. I guess the rain chased him in the house... feeling like a nap about now.

Abbey Marie
10-16-2008, 09:49 AM
Sounds like you'll come out smelling like a rose!

Talking about a bad morning... I watched the debate last night thinking that the signal would be lost because we have a hurricane going over the other end of the island... lots of rain and a little wind on this end... my snoring was interrupted at 4:30 because the fan had gave me a chill, I pulled the sheet over me and rolled over to be stung by a centipede just under my armpit. I guess the rain chased him in the house... feeling like a nap about now.

Rain-torn island, centipedes, how exotic! Where are you?

crin63
10-16-2008, 09:50 AM
Yes, you cannot trust people no matter what they say at the scene. I once caught a woman's car door hitting my car door as it happened. (She did not hold on to her door on a windy day, and the wind caught it and slammed it into mine).

I had the same thing happen to me in a rental car in Oregon. Wind caught the door because the guys arms were to short to catch the handle. This guy that was 5' nothing driving his keepers F-250. He was all cool and apologies until his girlfriend walked over, it was her truck. When they saw I was from California they got really nasty. It was so laughable, I'm 6'2" 200 lbs and here this 5' nothing little pipsqueak starts acting like he is coming after me to impress his girlfriend. My wifes 6'3" 350lbs brother was with me and he just started cracking up at the little fella.

Anyway what a lousy way to start the day, sorry to hear that. I get all the info and/or call the police no matter how little damage there is. I've been burned way to many times by insurance companies and flaky people.

Classact
10-16-2008, 10:04 AM
Rain-torn island, centipedes, how exotic! Where are you?I'm on the NW corner of the island http://www.intellicast.com/Storm/Hurricane/Active.aspx?storm=1&type=track the wind is kicking from the north today as this thing moves north. It was a small bug this time only about an inch long. A few years back a 9 incher got my big toe on the back porch and I almost lost my toe. Feels like fire of a hornet sting with a bite of a rodent... what a wake up call!

Mr. P
10-16-2008, 10:04 AM
I had the same thing happen to me in a rental car in Oregon. Wind caught the door because the guys arms were to short to catch the handle. This guy that was 5' nothing driving his keepers F-250. He was all cool and apologies until his girlfriend walked over, it was her truck. When they saw I was from California they got really nasty. It was so laughable, I'm 6'2" 200 lbs and here this 5' nothing little pipsqueak starts acting like he is coming after me to impress his girlfriend. My wifes 6'3" 350lbs brother was with me and he just started cracking up at the little fella.

Anyway what a lousy way to start the day, sorry to hear that. I get all the info and/or call the police no matter how little damage there is. I've been burned way to many times by insurance companies and flaky people.

Yep, always get the police report regardless of how nice/honest someone seems to be. Tis your only protection in a dispute.

crin63
10-16-2008, 10:12 AM
Yep, always get the police report regardless of how nice/honest someone seems to be. Tis your only protection in a dispute.

Video is equally as good. A friend of mine works at a Lexus dealer. The truck driver delivering cars let one car take off down the truck ramp and slam into a barrier post. He just parked the car and left. The driver and his boss denied any involvement until they showed his boss the video. They paid for it after that.

jimnyc
10-16-2008, 10:27 AM
Here's why I didn't get a police report:

A police report is just them reporting factual events as told to them by the parties involved in the accident. They must remain neutral in the report and simply report the facts - they do not determine fault. The insurance companies determine fault regardless of what is on the police report. Additionally, I could always follow up with the police and file my own incident report, also including witness names and numbers as well as the fact that I have a recording.

If he's on the up and up, and repairs get fixed to satisfaction, all is cool. Coincidentally, he is the manager of an auto body shop! He intends on ordering a brand new bumper and anything else needed and having his men perform the repair, all at no cost to me.

Without involving insurance, it doesn't go on Carfax, and therefore no depreciation in value if we ever try to sell.

Should he do anything improper in the slightest bit, not only will I file all the appropriate reports, my good friend is a police officer at that very station and will handle anything I need (getting info I couldn't)

Of course, all decisions are up to the wife as it's her car, but I think it looks good to have an unfortunate situation fixed without "hurting" either party.

crin63
10-16-2008, 10:44 AM

A police report is just them reporting factual events as told to them by the parties involved in the accident. They must remain neutral in the report and simply report the facts - they do not determine fault. The insurance companies determine fault regardless of what is on the police report. Additionally, I could always follow up with the police and file my own incident report, also including witness names and numbers as well as the fact that I have a recording.

If he's on the up and up, and repairs get fixed to satisfaction, all is cool. Coincidentally, he is the manager of an auto body shop! He intends on ordering a brand new bumper and anything else needed and having his men perform the repair, all at no cost to me.

Without involving insurance, it doesn't go on Carfax, and therefore no depreciation in value if we ever try to sell.

Should he do anything improper in the slightest bit, not only will I file all the appropriate reports, my good friend is a police officer at that very station and will handle anything I need (getting info I couldn't)

Of course, all decisions are up to the wife as it's her car, but I think it looks good to have an unfortunate situation fixed without "hurting" either party.

You are in a unique situation and I concur with all your reasoning.

Mr. P
10-16-2008, 10:46 AM
Video is equally as good. A friend of mine works at a Lexus dealer. The truck driver delivering cars let one car take off down the truck ramp and slam into a barrier post. He just parked the car and left. The driver and his boss denied any involvement until they showed his boss the video. They paid for it after that.

Video is better than any police report...if available which generally it's not.

True on private property which the station is. On the public roads it's a different story. You have the video, you're ok.

jimnyc
10-16-2008, 11:23 AM
Video is better than any police report...if available which generally it's not.

True on private property which the station is. On the public roads it's a different story. You have the video, you're ok.

While the way the law operates varies from state to state, in NY it wouldn't make a difference. While and officer, at his discretion, MAY cite the report giving an appearance of fault towards an individual party, that has no bearing on the insurance companies decisions. Now, if he himself was a witness to the accident, then it may carry some weight, but otherwise he is simply creating a report based on events told to him by the "victims"

But like you said, I have the video, so I doubt any of this will come into play.

MtnBiker
10-16-2008, 11:24 AM
Crash - that's a bummer.

Hey Jim, hope the car is fixed good as new.

Perhaps you should buy a coffee maker. :D

jackass
10-16-2008, 01:47 PM
wait till she wakes up and sees this:

Jim Jim JIm....havent I taught you better than this?? Just park it in the driveway and deny deny deny!!

:laugh2::laugh2:

Kathianne
10-16-2008, 06:15 PM
Jim Jim JIm....havent I taught you better than this?? Just park it in the driveway and deny deny deny!!

:laugh2::laugh2:

Laugh all you like, I did such. Picture this:

1974, A summer Saturday evening, I take my mom's new car, (2 days old, first new car ever), out to a friend's house. Hit her big, old, oak tree backing out. Go to get out of the car to check out damage, can't open the door. Climb out the window. Both sides and the back of the car collapsed.

Can't open the passenger side either. Lots of tree stuck to the bumper which is like way inside the trunk.

All night we drive around-about 5 of us, climbing in and out of the windows. Around midnight, get home and put the car in the garage. Climb out of window & go to bed. At 5 am, my dad goes to leave for his golf foursome, notices my mom's car while getting into his.

He comes in screamingm (hee, hee), at my brother. When my brother finally can understand it's about my mom's car, he said, "Hey, Kat had the car." My dad cancelled his game and slammed into his room, for hours! First time I ever heard him use the 'f' word. To my brother, (I could hear), not to me. Hours later he asked me, "How the hell fast were you going, in reverse?" I responded, "Dad, I don't know, I can't see over the trunk and how could I see the speedometer while in reverse." He went back to his room.

Not so long ago, when I was reprimanding one of my kids for an accident, my dad had piped in, "Listen to her, she used to reverse as fast as she could to get it over with, since she couldn't see over the trunk." LOL! My daughter loves him to this day for that!

jackass
10-16-2008, 07:02 PM
Hahaha! That is crazy. How fast WERE you going to do that much damage?

Immanuel
10-16-2008, 07:43 PM
Hahaha! That is crazy. How fast WERE you going to do that much damage?

How would she know? She was looking out the back window. :D

Immie

Kathianne
10-16-2008, 07:50 PM
How would she know? She was looking out the back window. :D

Immie

You got it! Obviously I'd bent the frame. The car was totaled, the insurance company estimated the impact in the rear at about 48 mph. Damn! I'd kill my kid. My dad was nice.

My mom got a sturdier car after that, though she was not as happy with it. LOL!

diuretic
10-17-2008, 03:13 AM

Got that right. Here if there are no injuries/dui/hit-run/cops involved, the police just take the report and let the insurance companies apply for a copy. It means two-fifths of sod-all unless it has been investigated on scene by police.

diuretic
10-17-2008, 03:15 AM
You got it! Obviously I'd bent the frame. The car was totaled, the insurance company estimated the impact in the rear at about 48 mph. Damn! I'd kill my kid. My dad was nice.

You obviously couldn't see from the smoke from the burning tyres spinning around....forget the speedo, the cabin would have been been filled with smoke from them tyres! :laugh2:

jackass
10-17-2008, 01:59 PM

Holy crap! I wouldnt even been able to look at my kid or I would kill 'em!! :laugh2:

jimnyc
10-26-2008, 10:48 AM
My wife is very adamant about getting the car fixed at a body shop we have used before and is a well known business in our town.

I received a message from a woman yesterday who is the actual owner of the car, asking me to call her back ASAP as she wanted to discuss what happened.

I explained to her that we got a professional estimate an the repairs will cost $1237.50. I told her either the driver forks over the cash, in advance, or we go the insurance route. She was nice, but made it clear she didn't want to go through insurance. Coincidentally, she said let me pass the phone to Augustine (the driver) whom just happened to be next to her. What's the odds that she just happened to be with this guy when I called her back 4 hours later? I think they are related, friends, or trying to pull a fast one.

He pushed to do the job at his shop and said he could have the car good as new within 2 hours. I asked how that was possible when a body shop with an impeccable reputation quoted a total of 9 hours labor + parts costs. Just the bumper painting alone is 2 hours as they do it in a special room and it must sit there for awhile. Not to mention labor hours to remove bumper, remove fog lamp assembly, check for inside damage, replace inner assemblies, replace bumper.... He stated he's been doing business for many years with insurance companies and that this estimate was inflated. I told him "fine, we'll file with insurance, I'll give them the estimate, and I'll have them even send us to a non-biased shop for an additional estimate". Of course he balked as they are adamant about avoiding insurance.

I explained to the woman that if we filed through her insurance, they would pay for our car to be "made whole", but she wouldn't be affected as the car wasn't in her custody and she wasn't driving. After they pay for our repairs, they will in turn go after the other driver or his autoshop for reimbursement.

They pushed, begged and pleaded, but I wouldn't budge. Told them it was DEFINITELY getting repaired at OUR shop of choosing, and they could pay cash or go through insurance. Now he stated last night he would get back to me with his decision. I no longer trust him at all as he raised his voice several times and claimed I was now trying to "fuck him".

I'm giving him till 10am tomorrow and the a file through insurance and deliver notarized statements from witnesses and a DVD copy of the video.

I have a sneaky suspicion that the car is either not insured, the driver has no license, business has no license - or he just wants to do a shabby job and save money.

Kathianne
10-26-2008, 10:54 AM
I'd go file the report. Whenever people start with this, can be pretty sure it won't get better. I took claims for State Farm for over 3 years.

jackass
10-26-2008, 12:21 PM
Jim file the claim. You gave them enough time to make it better.

Yurt
10-26-2008, 05:21 PM
i don't know your state's laws

personally, i would give the folks the time they asked for, after that, wipe your hands and feet of them and move on and file the claim. sometimes people really do need a last/final deadline and if it is in your interest to allow them that, give it to them.

california also allows you to go to any shop you want, maybe it is a national insurance law, i don't know.

Abbey Marie
10-26-2008, 11:39 PM
In my experience, people tend to get nastier the longer the time you give them. I'd file the claim.