PDA

View Full Version : Class Action, Small Claims or Individual Lawsuits

crin63
10-16-2008, 12:47 PM
A friend of mine who is in her 60's, lives on her S.S. check and manages a senior complex has lost her television and other electronics 3 times as a result of Edison transformers blowing up 3 times since 2003. 2 of which have blown up in the last 7 months. Last week and 7 months ago.
6 buildings are affected by the transformers. Seniors in each building have had losses but Edison blames it on the cable company, the cable company blames it on the phone company, the phone company blames it on Edison who then blames the buildings electrical or an act of God. Meanwhile all the senior citizens are out electronics and other items.
2 ladies I know that work there are afraid of losing their jobs if they rock the boat on this issue.

How should these people go about addressing this issue since no one will accept blame or replace their losses? I suggested they all get together and go to the Mayors office.

Mr. P
10-16-2008, 12:57 PM
A friend of mine who is in her 60's, lives on her S.S. check and manages a senior complex has lost her television and other electronics 3 times as a result of Edison transformers blowing up 3 times since 2003. 2 of which have blown up in the last 7 months. Last week and 7 months ago.
6 buildings are affected by the transformers. Seniors in each building have had losses but Edison blames it on the cable company, the cable company blames it on the phone company, the phone company blames it on Edison who then blames the buildings electrical or an act of God. Meanwhile all the senior citizens are out electronics and other items.
2 ladies I know that work there are afraid of losing their jobs if they rock the boat on this issue.

How should these people go about addressing this issue since no one will accept blame or replace their losses? I suggested they all get together and go to the Mayors office.

Surge protector?

crin63
10-16-2008, 01:18 PM
Surge protector?

Yes, but it traveled through the cable/phone lines which bypassed the surge protector.

Mr. P
10-16-2008, 01:43 PM
Yes, but it traveled through the cable/phone lines which bypassed the surge protector.

I don't know, I don't see a legitimate suit. It seems Edison would need to be proven negligent for a transformer blowing. Unless there is a known problem in that grid, how are they to know a transformer is going to blow?

Seems like a lot of investigation is in order. IMO

crin63
10-16-2008, 01:57 PM
I don't know, I don't see a legitimate suit. It seems Edison would need to be proven negligent for a transformer blowing. Unless there is a known problem in that grid, how are they to know a transformer is going to blow?

Seems like a lot of investigation is in order. IMO

I would agree if it were only 1 time. This is the 3rd transformer at the same location to blow up. 2 within 7 months of each other. That seems a bit more than random.

diuretic
10-17-2008, 03:19 AM
What are the terms and conditions in their contract with the utiity company?

PostmodernProphet
10-17-2008, 05:56 AM
in light of the fact you will not succeed without some expert testimony to convince the judge there is a defect and that a reasonable power provider would have take action to detect it......and given the fact that expert testimony will be expensive.....a class action suit is the only possibility.....and that means convincing a lawyer to upfront the expenses of investigation.....