PDA

View Full Version : Hawaii ending universal child health care

Yurt
10-17-2008, 10:06 AM
Hawaii ending universal child health care

HONOLULU – Hawaii is dropping the only state universal child health care program in the country just seven months after it launched.

Gov. Linda Lingle's administration cited budget shortfalls and other available health care options for eliminating funding for the program. A state official said families were dropping private coverage so their children would be eligible for the subsidized plan.

"People who were already able to afford health care began to stop paying for it so they could get it for free," said Dr. Kenny Fink, the administrator for Med-QUEST at the Department of Human Services. "I don't believe that was the intent of the program."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081017/ap_on_re_us/child_health_hawaii;_ylt=As83PZtu_mQlXQeUqrvFCoMEt bAF

wait a minute...."universal" health care, but it is a problem for taxpayers to join the program to get ""free"" health care...so let's see, i pay taxes, which pay for this program, but i can't choose to stop paying extra into a private program...that is like saying if you can afford private school, you can't send your kid to public school

i believe that many things like this will happen under an obamanation administration...i don't believe the libs truly understand the costs of these lofty promises of "free" this and "free" that

hjmick
10-17-2008, 10:13 AM
I read recently that Canada is moving away from the socialized medical care, albeit slowly.

red states rule
10-17-2008, 11:24 AM

HONOLULU – Hawaii is dropping the only state universal child health care program in the country just seven months after it launched.

Gov. Linda Lingle's administration cited budget shortfalls and other available health care options for eliminating funding for the program. A state official said families were dropping private coverage so their children would be eligible for the subsidized plan.

"People who were already able to afford health care began to stop paying for it so they could get it for free," said Dr. Kenny Fink, the administrator for Med-QUEST at the Department of Human Services. "I don't believe that was the intent of the program."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081017/ap_on_re_us/child_health_hawaii;_ylt=As83PZtu_mQlXQeUqrvFCoMEt bAF

wait a minute...."universal" health care, but it is a problem for taxpayers to join the program to get ""free"" health care...so let's see, i pay taxes, which pay for this program, but i can't choose to stop paying extra into a private program...that is like saying if you can afford private school, you can't send your kid to public school

i believe that many things like this will happen under an obamanation administration...i don't believe the libs truly understand the costs of these lofty promises of "free" this and "free" that

Funny libs are shocked when people STOP paying for health care and would rather get it for free

and half the country want to hand over the car keys to these idiots and have them manage their health care?

They need mental care first, then worry about health care later

Yurt
10-17-2008, 12:35 PM
does obama's plan resemble hawaii's? if so....more poor judgment from obammy

red states rule
10-17-2008, 12:37 PM
does obama's plan resemble hawaii's? if so....more poor judgment from obammy

Anytime the government offers anything that is subsidized, people are going to try and take advantage

The same way they will not work harder when they know they will be punished with higher taxes

Trigg
10-17-2008, 12:58 PM

Well DUH.....they didn't forsee this happening??????

In my state they give immunizations and flu shots free. Or I can go to my Dr. and pay for them. Gee guys, which one do you think I do!!!!!

MY tax dollars are paying for those free shots, why shouldn't my kids benefit!!

Yurt
10-17-2008, 03:55 PM
dear liberal friends:

is there a reason you refuse to comment on this? isn't this one of your party's biggest platforms? and is it because you see this platform failing after implementation, in only a few months, that you refuse to acknowledge the powerful reality that your plans might bring given that this plan has failed?

Yurt
10-19-2008, 12:11 PM
dear liberal friends:

is there a reason you refuse to comment on this? isn't this one of your party's biggest platforms? and is it because you see this platform failing after implementation, in only a few months, that you refuse to acknowledge the powerful reality that your plans might bring given that this plan has failed?

:dance:

DragonStryk72
10-19-2008, 02:44 PM

This is one of those shit or get off the pot kind of deals. Either health is universal, and thus everyone has access and the option to use it, or they do not. I'm saying this separate of any sort of opinion on UHC itself, but seriously, for some reason, we don't really seem to commit to any decisions anymore in this country.

On UHC itself, it works well in small locations, where the financial set up is better than what we have (aka, countries not owing $14 trillion, and leveraging another $40 trillion in future debt). Even then, it has its own problems.

But of course people are going to drop coverage they are paying for in order to get the same service for free. The whole point of "universal" health care is that it covers everyone. This obviously was not the reality.

LiberalNation
10-19-2008, 03:24 PM
dear liberal friends:

This liberal has never been that big on universial healthcare. However this hawaii plan was not meant to be universial healthcare if they didn't want people who could afford other options to use it. A poorly designed plan.

Yurt
10-19-2008, 04:05 PM
gd pts