PDA

View Full Version : Gingrich Gaining in Polls

5stringJeff
03-19-2007, 02:03 PM
w00t!!!1

-------------
Among those who seem more likely to run, the only candidate with a significant following is former House Speaker Newt Gingrich; with 29 percent of Republicans saying they would consider voting for him and eight percent picking him as their first choice. Former Massachusetts Governor Mitt Romney is also on the radar screen, but barely. While 23 percent of Republicans would consider voting for him, only three percent prefer him over the other candidates.

http://www.newsmax.com/archives/ic/2007/3/18/203936.shtml?s=ic

Psychoblues
03-28-2007, 04:52 AM
w00t!!!1

-------------
Among those who seem more likely to run, the only candidate with a significant following is former House Speaker Newt Gingrich; with 29 percent of Republicans saying they would consider voting for him and eight percent picking him as their first choice. Former Massachusetts Governor Mitt Romney is also on the radar screen, but barely. While 23 percent of Republicans would consider voting for him, only three percent prefer him over the other candidates.

Newt has his faults, but he is the strongest conservative now in the marketplace. If it is free market you are after and strong conservative values, other than marital morality, then newt has got to by your MAN!!!!!

03-28-2007, 06:56 AM
This is an old poll. nothing new that Ive seen.

Psychoblues
03-28-2007, 07:23 AM
"Old" like as in yesterday or "old" like as in the Beatle Jamm, or "old as in physical age?

This is an old poll. nothing new that Ive seen.

What do you mean by "old", a4321?

GW in Ohio
03-28-2007, 07:53 AM
"President Newt Gingrich"?

No, I'm sorry. No matter how you try, those words will not stay together.

Nuc
03-28-2007, 07:57 AM
Newt is a science buff and the GOP is against science, so unless he runs as an independent, either he compromises or there's no deal.

Psychoblues
03-28-2007, 09:26 AM
Nuc, you gotta be outta your freakin' mind. Newt is certainly a nut but he espouses all the talking points and expresses every value as internally connected in America!!!! He is a shoe in if he runs.

Newt is a science buff and the GOP is against science, so unless he runs as an independent, either he compromises or there's no deal.

Thanks, anyway, for your contribution to the conversation.

5stringJeff
03-28-2007, 12:18 PM
the GOP is against science

How correct you are. In fact, I remember in my heydays in the GOP machinery, we used to egg scientists houses, boo them whenever they spoke, and even put a plank in our platform about how science should be outlawed and scientists shipped to Gitmo until they confess their high crimes against humanity.

:rolleyes:

Gaffer
03-28-2007, 01:31 PM
I like Newt. He's a realist.

5stringJeff
03-28-2007, 01:53 PM
Here's the latest numbers from USA Today/Gallup (poll taken 3/23 - 3/25):

Giulani:31%
McCain: 22%
Thompson: 12%
Gingrich: 8%
Romney: 3%

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2008/president/us/republican_presidential_nomination-192.html

Gaffer
03-28-2007, 02:21 PM
Here's the latest numbers from USA Today/Gallup (poll taken 3/23 - 3/25):

Giulani:31%
McCain: 22%
Thompson: 12%
Gingrich: 8%
Romney: 3%

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2008/president/us/republican_presidential_nomination-192.html

Gingrich hasn't even commited to running yet and he's already got 8% that seems like a good start.

Hagbard Celine
03-28-2007, 03:22 PM
w00t!!!1

-------------

His adultery won't fair well with the mega-church voters. There goes his Republican base. Oh well :dunno:

Gaffer
03-28-2007, 03:41 PM
His adultery won't fair well with the mega-church voters. There goes his Republican base. Oh well :dunno:

I don't think that will be an issue.

Nuc
03-28-2007, 04:23 PM
How correct you are. In fact, I remember in my heydays in the GOP machinery, we used to egg scientists houses, boo them whenever they spoke, and even put a plank in our platform about how science should be outlawed and scientists shipped to Gitmo until they confess their high crimes against humanity.

:rolleyes:

GOP always puts business interests before scientific fact. Religion before science as well. That's why I say they are against science. Anyway it's low on their priorities list.

5stringJeff
03-28-2007, 05:24 PM

Evangelicals don't have a stranglehold on the GOP; even if we did, there are different opinions amongst evangelicals as to how much sway such issues should have.

Nuc
03-28-2007, 05:46 PM
Evangelicals don't have a stranglehold on the GOP; even if we did, there are different opinions amongst evangelicals as to how much sway such issues should have.

True, for example if it's Clinton having adultery it's bad. But if it's Gingrich, it's OK. :lame2:

03-28-2007, 05:56 PM

Why do people seem to forget that the mega-church voters believe in repentence and forgiveness?

5stringJeff
03-28-2007, 05:58 PM
True, for example if it's Clinton having adultery it's bad. But if it's Gingrich, it's OK. :lame2:

If Newt lies under oath about it, it won't be OK - just as it wasn't for Clinton. It wasn't about sex, it was about perjury.

03-28-2007, 06:01 PM
If Newt lies under oath about it, it won't be OK - just as it wasn't for Clinton. It wasn't about sex, it was about perjury.

To say it was simply the perjury is a bit simplistic. The man falsified depositions. Did everything he could to block investigation into rape accusations etc.

The man used his position of power to prey on women sexually. And the left thinks that is absolutely no big deal. And they claim they are for equal rights... bull crap.

gabosaurus
04-02-2007, 12:08 AM
If you think the Clinton bashing wasn't all about sex, you have either a short or failing memory. Clinton's blow jobs and cigar follies came close to destroying the moral fabric of the country (if you believe the ConReps).
This is a "left and right" issue. Clinton's sexual misconduct drew continuous scorn. But Newt and Rudy should be granted free passes for doing much the same.

Baron Von Esslingen
04-02-2007, 01:14 AM
Nothing could be better for the Democrats than for Newt to jump into the race. Serial adulterers play real well in Red State America as do liars and hypocrites. Newt's three for three and the DNC hasn't even begun to target him yet. A Gingrich-DeLay ticket would be a dream come true.

04-02-2007, 01:36 AM
If you think the Clinton bashing wasn't all about sex, you have either a short or failing memory. Clinton's blow jobs and cigar follies came close to destroying the moral fabric of the country (if you believe the ConReps).
This is a "left and right" issue. Clinton's sexual misconduct drew continuous scorn. But Newt and Rudy should be granted free passes for doing much the same.

The Clinton bashing was always about his lack of integrity.

And honesty is one of the most important morals out there.

04-02-2007, 01:37 AM
Nothing could be better for the Democrats than for Newt to jump into the race. Serial adulterers play real well in Red State America as do liars and hypocrites. Newt's three for three and the DNC hasn't even begun to target him yet. A Gingrich-DeLay ticket would be a dream come true.

Democrats would still find a way to lose.

5stringJeff
04-02-2007, 10:28 AM

Nice try. Clinton's crime was not getting a BJ from a 21-year-old intern. It was perjury. And, as I and others have said before, when Newt lies under oath about his extramarital affairs, I'd want to see him tried/impeached.

gabosaurus
04-02-2007, 10:46 AM
Newt and Rudy will never play to the family values people. There are way too many skeletons in their collective closets. You might as well nominate Foley.

04-02-2007, 10:47 AM
Nice try. Clinton's crime was not getting a BJ from a 21-year-old intern. It was perjury. And, as I and others have said before, when Newt lies under oath about his extramarital affairs, I'd want to see him tried/impeached.

I might also ad that it was also in part about abuse of power. There is no doubt that had he been anyone other than the President of the United States who had been caught pressuring interns into sexual acts, he would not only have been fired but also jailed.

But its only sex right? I wonder how rape victims feel about that excuse...