PDA

View Full Version : A promise you can hold me to

gabosaurus
10-18-2008, 05:29 PM
Since my daughter is spending the day with my sister, my husband and I held one of our rare political discussions. He thinks I am starting to get too worked up over the upcoming elections. Which is probably true.
So I am making the following pledge, which all of you are invited to hold me to. Regardless of the results of the election, I am going to accept them. No gloating or online fist pumping over a win, no whining and online teeth grinding over a loss.
I did the same thing in 2004. I wasn't pleased at the results, but I accepted it as the will of the people. Those of you who date back to USMB will remember that I was not one of those who bitched and whined about Kerry's loss.
I can't comment about 2000 because I wasn't old enough to vote then.

Regardless of who wins, I don't expect anything to change. Politicians are good at promising a lot and delivering very little. I will still be going to work each day and trying to raise my daughter the best that I can.
I don't trust McCain, so I am voting for Obama. My husband doesn't like McCain, but can't bring himself to vote for a Democrat. So he is voting for Barr. I am sure the rest of his Orange County Republican relatives will continue to vote as such.
One election is not going to change anything, small or large.

namvet
10-18-2008, 05:42 PM
Since my daughter is spending the day with my sister, my husband and I held one of our rare political discussions. He thinks I am starting to get too worked up over the upcoming elections. Which is probably true.
So I am making the following pledge, which all of you are invited to hold me to. Regardless of the results of the election, I am going to accept them. No gloating or online fist pumping over a win, no whining and online teeth grinding over a loss.
I did the same thing in 2004. I wasn't pleased at the results, but I accepted it as the will of the people. Those of you who date back to USMB will remember that I was not one of those who bitched and whined about Kerry's loss.
I can't comment about 2000 because I wasn't old enough to vote then.

Regardless of who wins, I don't expect anything to change. Politicians are good at promising a lot and delivering very little. I will still be going to work each day and trying to raise my daughter the best that I can.
I don't trust McCain, so I am voting for Obama. My husband doesn't like McCain, but can't bring himself to vote for a Democrat. So he is voting for Barr. I am sure the rest of his Orange County Republican relatives will continue to vote as such.
One election is not going to change anything, small or large.

lyin' bitch
http://debatepolicy.com/showpost.php?p=310745&postcount=1 :fu:

5stringJeff
10-18-2008, 07:23 PM
I don't trust McCain, so I am voting for Obama. My husband doesn't like McCain, but can't bring himself to vote for a Democrat. So he is voting for Barr.

You should follow your husband's lead. He is obviously a very smart man. :D

5stringJeff
10-18-2008, 07:24 PM
lyin' bitch
http://debatepolicy.com/showpost.php?p=310745&postcount=1 :fu:

What did she lie about? :wtf:

stephanie
10-18-2008, 07:32 PM
why the hell make promises you might not be able or want to keep..

who cares if you gloat or fist pump..??

anyone?

Jeeze:laugh2:

crin63
10-18-2008, 07:34 PM
The title of your thread poses an interesting question. Does that mean you cannot usually be held to your promises and they are otherwise non-binding? :coffee:

gabosaurus
10-18-2008, 11:35 PM
I have no clue what namvet is babbling about. I am good at keeping my promises.
I simply don't want to repeat the Dem's folly of 2000, making themselves look stupid by complaining endlessly about having the election stolen. Though I do expect many of you to do the same.

Kathianne
10-18-2008, 11:48 PM
I have no clue what namvet is babbling about. I am good at keeping my promises.
I simply don't want to repeat the Dem's folly of 2000, making themselves look stupid by complaining endlessly about having the election stolen. Though I do expect many of you to do the same.

That is something I'm going to do my personal best to avoid. Of course, I can envision being goaded, but I'm pretty good at that. I think the nonsense in both 2000 and 2004 was so wrong. Lose and get over it. My take is to accept the president. If Obama or his sycophants make that difficult, I'll do my best and try not to whine.

Immanuel
10-19-2008, 12:40 PM
I'm going to be pissed no matter who wins, but I'm going to do my best to support which ever one of them happens to enter the oval office. Not promising not to say what I feel when they screw up, as they will since we all do, but I will do my best to support the man in the office of the President of the United States.

Immie

retiredman
10-19-2008, 01:18 PM
I'm going to be pissed no matter who wins, but I'm going to do my best to support which ever one of them happens to enter the oval office. Not promising not to say what I feel when they screw up, as they will since we all do, but I will do my best to support the man in the office of the President of the United States.

Immie

ditto