PDA

View Full Version : NOW we know what obama means by change

REDWHITEBLUE2
10-18-2008, 11:31 PM
Board refuses to fire teacher over Obama slur
The Associated Press
11:38 AM EDT, October 17, 2008
MARIANNA, Fla. - A school board has refused to fire a teacher over a racial slur aimed at Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama.

The Jackson County panel, instead, voted 3-2 Thursday to suspend Greg Howard without pay for 10 days, costing him about $2,500. He also was removed from coaching duties with the loss of related pay and ordered to take diversity training and write an apology to students.

Nearly 200 people attended the meeting with most demanding that the board fire Howard. Some parents say they'll ask the state to revoke his teaching certificate.

During a seventh-grade class Howard reportedly wrote "CHANGE" on the blackboard as an acronym for "Come Help A (slur) Get Elected."

DragonStryk72
10-18-2008, 11:47 PM
Board refuses to fire teacher over Obama slur
The Associated Press
11:38 AM EDT, October 17, 2008
MARIANNA, Fla. - A school board has refused to fire a teacher over a racial slur aimed at Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama.

The Jackson County panel, instead, voted 3-2 Thursday to suspend Greg Howard without pay for 10 days, costing him about $2,500. He also was removed from coaching duties with the loss of related pay and ordered to take diversity training and write an apology to students.

Nearly 200 people attended the meeting with most demanding that the board fire Howard. Some parents say they'll ask the state to revoke his teaching certificate.

During a seventh-grade class Howard reportedly wrote "CHANGE" on the blackboard as an acronym for "Come Help A (slur) Get Elected."

Yes, for the love of god, it must be Obama hurting this man, not his casual use of the word nigger in a room full of kids he is supposed to be teaching/coaching, I mean, it's not like teachers or coaches have any affect on kids' minds, that's why they never learn anything at all from them.

Also, even if you support the point that there is a difference between a black person and a nigger (Yes, I've had this discussion come up. the way it was explained to me was Martin Luther King, Jr.= Black man, that guy dressed out to the nines in gangster gear getting up in peoples' faces, then complaining cause people think he might steal something= nigger), it still doesn't fly. Obama, however naive his financial policies, is in fact cultured, eloquent, and has shown himself to be a responsible, functioning member of society.

This isn't a case where a teacher simply said something like "I support McCain", or "I don't agree with his politics", this was just blatant idiocy on the teacher's part.

hjmick
10-19-2008, 01:12 AM
Should have been fired. There's no place for that in the classroom.

Kathianne
10-19-2008, 01:22 AM
Should have been fired. There's no place for that in the classroom.

I strongly agree with you. No place around children.

10-19-2008, 08:52 AM
This is one of the many reason i think teachers should be fired more easily. I dont want this guy teaching kids anything any more than i want teachers handing out condoms or pushing liberalism. This is unacceptible. its about time education started becoming about the children instead of the teachers salaries, the unions salaries, and more money being thrown at the program with fewer results.

Immanuel
10-19-2008, 12:49 PM
How does Barack Obama fit into this scenario? Excluding, of course, the fact that the acronym is a slap at him and the Democratic Party.

I'm honestly not sure that he should have been fired. The suspension and loss of pay is probably a good start. I just don't think we should allow the PC police to punish us for our thoughts regardless of those thoughts. Next it will be getting fired for thinking that life begins at conception.

Also, what lesson was Mr. Howard teaching? Had that piece of sick humor been going around the school and Mr. Howard brought it up to discuss the issue of racism coming from that acronym? Maybe he was condemning the "humor" involved?

Immie

Kathianne
10-19-2008, 12:56 PM
How does Barack Obama fit into this scenario? Excluding, of course, the fact that the acronym is a slap at him and the Democratic Party.

I'm honestly not sure that he should have been fired. The suspension and loss of pay is probably a good start. I just don't think we should allow the PC police to punish us for our thoughts regardless of those thoughts. Next it will be getting fired for thinking that life begins at conception.

Also, what lesson was Mr. Howard teaching? Had that piece of sick humor been going around the school and Mr. Howard brought it up to discuss the issue of racism coming from that acronym? Maybe he was condemning the "humor" involved?

Immie

Immie, I'd be 'with you' if somehow his pov was 'found out' from another source. In this case it was done in a classroom. He should be fired.

It's consistent with my view on homosexuality or sex in any form by teachers. I don't think it proper for teachers to discuss their sex lives with students. It's fine to talk about 'my husband' or 'my children'. It's fine to say I'm going here or there, this restaurant, have you been there? More details are not ok.