PDA

View Full Version : Elementary school kids attend Obama rally

gabosaurus
10-20-2008, 01:59 PM
A good way to learn about the democratic process, no?

At the packed Steinbrenner Field, filled to capacity with Obama supporters, imagine shepherding 160 or so elementary students.

That’s what about 10 teachers and a bunch of chaperon helpers are doing.

The Walton Academy charter school was giving its K-5 students a different kind of lesson today as they were given the day away from classrooms and attended the rally. Part of the reason may be that Principal Tanika Walton was scheduled to sing the national anthem.

“We thought it would be a part of history,” said kindergarten teacher Carmen Warner.

http://news.tboblogs.com/index.php/news/C520/

Immanuel
10-20-2008, 02:12 PM

I think it is a very good way to learn about our political process and I think the children will remember this day for a very, very long time.

Immie

theHawk
10-20-2008, 02:25 PM
Yes, what a great idea to brainwash school children to love a political leader. It would make Kim Il Sung smile.

hjmick
10-20-2008, 02:28 PM

Only if they take the kids to a McCain rally. That would be truly democratic. otherwise, it's a partisan attempt at indoctrination.

Noir
10-20-2008, 02:29 PM
seems fair enough, if anyone is worried about brain washing blah blah blah they can just keep there kid of school for the day, I wish I had been to rallies when I was younger, the main task is gettng the young interested n politics so they will repesent themselves when they come of voting age.

Immanuel
10-20-2008, 02:30 PM
Yes, what a great idea to brainwash school children to love a political leader. It would make Kim Il Sung smile.

Well, look at the site, check out "about us", of the school. Yes, this IS indoctrination of the students. There's no doubt about that, but the fact is that this will be a good learning tool for the students.

None of whom vote yet. By the time they are they will have begun to form their own opinions, but I'm guessing that at this school they have already begun to be "indoctrinated" into the Obama camp. Performing Arts always seems to go liberal.

http://waltonacademy.org/

Immie

Noir
10-20-2008, 02:31 PM
Only if they take the kids to a McCain rally. That would be truly democratic. otherwise, it's a partisan attempt at indoctrination.

And they'd have to go to a bob barr rally, and a ralph Nader rally Ect ect

Immanuel
10-20-2008, 02:39 PM
and a ralph Nader rally Ect ect

I'm sorry, but here in America we have a prohibition against, "Cruel and inhumane" punishment.

Immie

Kathianne
10-20-2008, 04:18 PM
seems fair enough, if anyone is worried about brain washing blah blah blah they can just keep there kid of school for the day, I wish I had been to rallies when I was younger, the main task is gettng the young interested n politics so they will repesent themselves when they come of voting age.

Actually there are very good school centered ways to get the students involved with the process. One of the best known is Scholastic, which is geared to K-5. There are also online voting/school centered sites, available for teachers to sign up their classes.

In our school I've had my 8th graders research 4 issues for both Obama and McCain. We are going to broadcast over closed circuit an issues round table the Friday afternoon before the election. The whole school will vote, (if they've registered next week), on Nov. 4th. I've already had several parents call and say how excited the 8th graders are about this election. Seems some of them have convinced their parents to take a look at 'the other side.'

The only 'help' I gave the students was downloading some sheets from Scholastic about the candidates positions. I also did the same from WaPo and NYT. I made sure they knew the candidate's official websites, so they could garner information there.

My 7th graders 'tech lesson' was virtually the same as the 8th graders, but more limited on issues and time given, completed in the computer lab. The younger students, (k-6) will only hear what is broadcast, which the 8th grade is having a hard time writing to 'gear to the audience.' One of the issues we originally were looking at was abortion, the older kids really were interested in that. However, when they considered 'the audience' they changed to 'the environment.'