PDA

View Full Version : Obama campaign selling election night coverage

hjmick
10-21-2008, 01:58 PM
So much for a "free press."

I'd like to say I'm surprised, but I can't.

I wonder if McCain will be selling access as well...

Obama campaign selling Chicago election night coverage packages to news outlets
By Lynn Sweet on October 21, 2008 11:07 AM

WASHINGTON - The Obama campaign is putting a hefty price tag on the best camera and reporting positions for news organizations covering Barack Obama's outdoor election night activities in downtown Chicago. If a reporter wants access to the file center--which will be the best place to find Obama officials and spokesmen--be prepared to write a check for $935. The cheapest place a reporter could stand on a riser with a view is $880.

That $935 covers one reporter in a heated file tent, power, cable tv, internet and food...

A general media area will be created where a reporter could watch for free, but the set-up is separate, unequal and clearly second class when it comes to getting top access to campaign people.

The campaign could not have made going to the free space more unappealing. It will be "outdoors, unassigned and may have obstructed views. General Media Area credentials do not include access to riser positions, satellite truck parking or the press filing center."

Obama's top donors--not the masses who donated the $5, $10 and $25 the campaign brag about--will have VIP access throughout election night and received an early heads up a week ago to plan to spend Election Night in Chicago.

Obama campaign selling Chicago election night coverage... (http://blogs.suntimes.com/sweet/2008/10/obama_campaign_selling_chicago.html)

KitchenKitten99
10-21-2008, 02:00 PM
And this money will go to underprivileged kids in the inner-cities of Chicago, right? How about to some of the recently-jobless to help them pay bills?

Yurt
10-21-2008, 02:15 PM
why is he still taking $$? especially on election night...

c-h-a-n-g-e

PostmodernProphet
10-21-2008, 03:09 PM
why is he still taking $$? especially on election night...

c-h-a-n-g-e

change as in "What do you still have in your pocket?"......