PDA

View Full Version : Trophy kids reach the work force

10-22-2008, 08:18 PM
http://www.glennbeck.com/content/articles/article/198/17145/

I thought this was an amusing segment.

I do know that there was a story in The Wall Street Journal yesterday about trophy kids going to work. These are the kids that we've raised and we've told them, "Who's super special? You are." And we've never told them anything bad. Well, now they are starting to enter the workforce, and I love this. We're now having these, what do you call them, consultants to help new employers adjust to the employees. Consultants are coming in and saying, "Look, you've got to adjust the way -- because you've got new employees. " Now here's a Boston-based consultant doing the other, coaching a group of college students for job interviews. Who had a consultant for a job interview? Did anyone within the sound of my voice have a consultant that you hired to help you with job interviews? My gosh. Get over yourself. Go out and get a frickin' job. Consultant, what a bunch of pansy -- I'm sorry. I digress.

Anyway, she said to them, "How do you believe your employers are going to view you?" She even gave them a clue. She said, "The word I'm looking for begins with the letter E." One student raised his hand, said "Excellent." Another student rhymed in with "Enthusiastic, energetic." Not even close. Here was the correct answer. "Entitled." The students collectively responded, "What?" Some were surprised. Others were hurt that they would be viewed as people who think they're entitled.

Here's the problem with the Millennial generation, and this is the problem -- I'm telling you, I've said this for years. You want your -- go ahead. You want to be a helicopter parent, you save them for everything, do you know what some companies now have parent day? In the corporation where your parents can come? You bring your parent to work, that's the last day you are coming to my office. I mean if they want to have a sit-down with me. If they want to come by and see your office, that's cool. You want to have a sit-down? Get the hell out of my office. I think we need more people with this theory: Get the hell out of my office. Now, we're not going to be able to do that because soon the government will be able to protect everyone so you'll not be able to fire everyone. You can live more like they live in France where, I'm not kidding you, countries have whole sections of floors dedicated to people who just sit in an office and do nothing because the state won't let them fire them. You can't fire them. So they just, "You're moving down to 12. Well, have a good time." And people just go to work and they sit in their office and they do nothing! That's where we're headed. In the meantime, until the government tells me I can't do it anymore, get the hell out of my office. Don't you feel like that? Don't you want -- some guy who would come to you when he's applying for a job and he wants to work and the next thing he's like, "Well, I've got a consultant to help me." Well, I don't know about you, but you seem to be doing fine, but I'm not going to work like that. Get the hell away from me.
continued at link

I cant understand this. how can people be so selfish? And we wonder why these are the people supporting Obama?

manu1959
10-22-2008, 08:58 PM
i have interviewed these kids.......haven't hired one......but i have interviewed them......

they all act like they have the job before i meet them.....

the last one i got up to "go to the bathroom" and never came back .....

not sure how long they sat there......

hr sent me an e-mail asking how the interview went.....i told her...that i had to go to the bathroom and when i returned they were gone......

Yurt
10-22-2008, 10:12 PM
:laugh2:

LiberalNation
10-22-2008, 10:23 PM
they all act like they have the job before i meet them.....
You're tought to go into a interview with confidence.

the last one i got up to "go to the bathroom" and never came back .....
Yeah, real professional there. :rolleyes:

10-22-2008, 11:03 PM

There is a big difference between arrogance/cockiness and confidence.

Yurt
10-22-2008, 11:27 PM
There is a big difference between arrogance/cockiness and confidence.

exactly...the difference is: i want this job, i can do this job, i will give you my best vs. this job is mine, i am entitled to it

i would have love to seen that person's face wondering where, oh where did manu go...and how long did they wait before wandering out and asking :laugh2:

Psychoblues
10-23-2008, 03:58 AM
It's rather hard to "thumb down" a trophy kid and feel like you've done society a favor.

But, somehow you jerks seem to pull it off like it was another day at the office?!?!?!?!????!??!??!? And you claim bureaucrats have it hard?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Enjoy your miserable day, my friends.

:salute::cheers2::clap::laugh2::cheers2::salute:

10-23-2008, 09:07 AM
Anyone have any idea what psycho is mumbling about?

Seriously thought, how on earth can anyone feel they are entitled to anything? It just irritates me to see such arrogance.

darin
10-23-2008, 09:20 AM
b-b-but I'm EDUCATED!! I am EDCUATED for this field! You can't not-hire me! You must be a sexist or racist or another type of -ist if you don't hire me! EDUCATION is all that matters - Education and personality! RIGHT???

crin63
10-23-2008, 09:31 AM
When I was working, dads, owners and foremen would give me their sons to break/break-in. I got every loud mouthed entitled kid, that sat around playing video games and never learned a thing about work ethic. I drove into the ground like tent pegs.

I called every kid that worked for me either, boy or Junior since most of them had been trained by society to hate with their dads.

I learned a great philosophy from an old time foremen. I was gonna fire one of kids at the end of a day and he told, "no", fire him tomorrow morning soon as he gets here then you will feel better all day.

Nukeman
10-23-2008, 09:49 AM
When I was working, dads, owners and foremen would give me their sons to break/break-in. I got every loud mouthed entitled kid, that sat around playing video games and never learned a thing about work ethic. I drove into the ground like tent pegs.

I called every kid that worked for me either, boy or Junior since most of them had been trained by society to hate with their dads.

I learned a great philosophy from an old time foremen. I was gonna fire one of kids at the end of a day and he told, "no", fire him tomorrow morning soon as he gets here then you will feel better all day.

:lol::lol: LOVE IT :lol::lol:

manu1959
10-23-2008, 11:05 AM
exactly...the difference is: i want this job, i can do this job, i will give you my best vs. this job is mine, i am entitled to it

i would have love to seen that person's face wondering where, oh where did manu go...and how long did they wait before wandering out and asking :laugh2:

i have no idea how long they sat there....never asked the receptions and she never told me....

manu1959
10-23-2008, 11:08 AM

you are cetainly welcome to apply for a job at my company and i will interview you and you can see for yourself.....