PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Horror Movies

LiberalNation
10-22-2008, 11:23 PM
What are your favorites.

Exorcist

The ring 1 & 2

Saws

Forgetting a lot I know, post some, I need new suggestions to watch online.
------------------

Worst

Grudge 1 & 2

------------------------------------

The next movie I plan on seeing will be The Unborn, previews looked great.

hjmick
10-22-2008, 11:37 PM
I've always liked The Exorcist, it is the benchmark for modern horror films. There has not been one since that compares. I'm also a fan of the Evil Dead series including Army of Darkness, though I'm not sure they qualify as horror films. Romero's original Night of the Living Dead is a classic. Most recently I've enjoyed 28 Days Later and it's sequel, 28 Weeks Later. They were a delightful take on the zombie theme. For sheer silliness, Shaun of the Dead.

The old classics are hard to beat. Who can forget the first time they saw Frankenstein, Dracula, The Mummy, or The Wolfman?

Going back to 1922, Nosferatu is one of my favorites as is 1920's The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari.

Speaking of Nosferatu, I also liked Shadow of the Vampire with John Malkovich, Willem Dafoe, Cary Elwes and Eddie Izzard.

PostmodernProphet
10-23-2008, 06:04 AM
my very first....the Pit and the Pendulum.....

Abbey Marie
10-23-2008, 09:57 AM
Movie: The original House on Haunted Hill. The remake is an abomination.

TV show: Dark Shadows, which I just discovered this summer on DVD.

LiberalNation
10-23-2008, 12:01 PM
How about stuff from the 90s onward. Old movies aren't really that great.

Land of the dead, 28 days/weeks later, zombie movie takes are normally pretty good.

Planet terror I liked just for the humor of it.

Residents evils all except for the first one are good.

Vampire movies besides old dracula type are almost always good. Dark town and 30 days of night are recent ones I saw. Infection or disease, zombie or vampire, it's always an infection now not the classic super naturual beings. The hamilitons was a good vampire take, more original then some.

The new ghosts in the machines genera I like. They come out of the technology and all that. Forget the title of the last one like that I saw but it was great. The one with the red electrical tape to keep them out, race to the dead zones.

Fear.com, dead call, one missed call, dead silence. Get a phone call, or play the game and die are good.

hitcher, joy ride, strangers, American psycho, wrong turn, good outright killing movies but not my favorite.

The hills have eyes 1 & 2 get an A plus for gore and deformed mutents.

Asylum, insantarium, haunted places are good.

Mirrors is the best overall recent horror movie I've seen. It was a perfect horror, just enough gore, a good plot, a good and twist ending.

LiberalNation
10-23-2008, 12:11 PM
Normally warewolf or monster movies like them suck, I've seen maybe one good warewolf movie out all the ones I've watched.

Mr. P
10-23-2008, 12:12 PM
The Exorcist cured me of watching horror movies..nothing can hold a candle to it...from what I hear all the rest have been kid stuff.

manu1959
10-23-2008, 12:14 PM
the shining.....

Mr. P
10-23-2008, 12:36 PM
the shining.....

I did see that...boring with a few seconds of scary.

hjmick
10-23-2008, 12:38 PM
the shining.....

The original Nicholson or the mini-series remake? Either way, the book was much better.

REDRUM

Noir
10-23-2008, 01:13 PM
by far the night of the living dead, any movie that has a women gettin raped by a tree is high up on my list.

...but I hate horror movies so I don't have many movies to chose from.

manu1959
10-23-2008, 01:44 PM
The original Nicholson or the mini-series remake? Either way, the book was much better.

REDRUM

the movie was brilliant....how about cuckoos nest...that was frightening....

hjmick
10-23-2008, 02:08 PM
the movie was brilliant....how about cuckoos nest...that was frightening....

Frightening for the simple reality of the institution. Devito was great in that film.

namvet
11-14-2008, 05:14 PM
RWpU8sX10_4

:laugh2::laugh2:

LiberalNation
11-14-2008, 06:11 PM
Anyone seen the unborn anywhere, I saw a commericial watching a movie in the theater but it never came out it self on the big screen.

dan
11-15-2008, 11:01 AM
by far the night of the living dead, any movie that has a women gettin raped by a tree is high up on my list.

...but I hate horror movies so I don't have many movies to chose from.

I think you're thinking of Evil Dead, there was no tree-on-woman rape in Night of the Living Dead.

Just a few nobody's mentioned yet: May, Audition (for strong stomachs only!), The Hills Have Eyes (the original is much better than the new one), Return of the Living dead.

Mick stole my go-to answer, I really think 28 Days Later is probably the best horror movie of the decade, so far.

AlbumAddict
11-15-2008, 03:02 PM
I'm not much into horror, more of the thriller type myself, but...

Popcorn was so ridiculous I never stopped laughing
Sleepaway Camp terrified me with it's twistedness
Silver Bullet scared me, but I was younger when I saw it, so I don't know about now
The Stephen King one with the three different ones...I can NOT think of the name! One is about a cat that steals you breath, one is a guy who goes to the wrong place to quit smoking and the other involved walking around a ledge on the top of building with birds. I want to say it was called Cat's Eye or something like that.
Identity is my all-time fave, althought I don't know if it's totally classifiable as "horror" but there's killing and stuff, just not super graphic.

dan
11-16-2008, 04:17 PM
Sleepaway Camp terrified me with it's twistedness

I almost put Sleepaway Camp on my list, but it's hard to recommend a movie that's terribly corny all the way up to its genuinely freaky ending. It does have some unique kills, too.

red states rule
11-17-2008, 03:08 PM
Does this one count?

http://www.strangepolitics.com/images/content/144367.jpg

Des
11-17-2008, 03:25 PM
My favorite creepy/horror movies are: Perfume, Pans Labarynth (sp?), Sunshine, The Shining, Open Water (only because I am afraid of the ocean and it terrified me), and the original Night of the Living Dead.