View Full Version : Murtha's hold on House seat slips

red states rule
10-23-2008, 04:10 PM
This may help McCain and put the state of PA in play

Murtha's hold on House seat slips
By Mike Wereschagin and David M. Brown
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Thursday, October 23, 2008

Two veteran warriors battling to represent the 12th Congressional District appear locked in the closest race in the district in years.

Democratic Rep. John Murtha leads retired Army Lt. Col. William Russell by a little more than 4 percentage points, within the Susquehanna Poll's 4.9-point margin of error. The poll of 400 likely voters was conducted for the Tribune-Review on Tuesday, amid uproar over Murtha's statement that some of his constituents are racist.

Stanley Shemanski, 67, a retired meat cutter who lives in Apollo, said he's undecided about the congressional race. He doesn't know much about Russell, but he's upset with Murtha's comment that racism in the district could hurt Democrat Barack Obama's chances.

I didn't like that at all. He shouldn't have said it," Shemanski said.

Most of all, the national economy concerns him. "I'm retired, but my daughter, she works for the bank, and I'm worried about that."

Yet, poll participant Melissa Stoltz, 38, of Johnstown said she is backing Murtha because she likes his political views.

"He has the experience, and he is a former Marine. I was a Marine," said Stoltz, a caseworker. "Murtha's done a good job. I think he's really stuck up for your basic, every-run-of-the-day, normal person."

Murtha, 76, a decorated Vietnam combat veteran, apologized for the racism remark, saying he meant to say that skin color is a factor in the battle for the presidency between Obama and Republican John McCain. Trying to add context to his remarks, Murtha later said many in Western Pennsylvania were "rednecks" several years ago.

Russell, 46, a Republican who served in the Iraq war, jumped on the remarks. McCain, in a campaign stop Tuesday in Moon, said he "could not disagree with those critics more," without mentioning Murtha by name.

About 54 percent of voters among those polled say it's time for someone else to represent them in Congress. About 35 percent say Murtha deserves to be re-elected.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/news/cityregion/s_594741.html

namvet
10-23-2008, 04:57 PM
Murtha Race Tightens After 'Racist,' 'Redneck' Remarks

Rep. John Murtha, who recently called constituents in his western Pennsylvania town "racist" because Barack Obama may not win big there, is 4 points ahead of his Republican challenger, retired Army Lt. Col. William Russell, within the Susquehanna Poll's 4.9-point margin of error.

source (source)

here's hoping in nov the ole bastard finally gets the boot..............

red states rule
10-23-2008, 05:30 PM
It would be nice to him gone. I am sure many in the US military would see it as justice after his smear of the US Marines when he called them "cold blooded killers"

retiredman
10-23-2008, 09:34 PM
It would be nice to him gone. I am sure many in the US military would see it as justice after his smear of the US Marines when he called them "cold blooded killers"

so Murtha's congressional district is going to counterbalance a 10% Obama lead in PA?:lol:

and you wanna bet some money on whether Murtha wins or not?

How about Obama?

But we both know that you welch on YOUR bets so forget I asked.:laugh2:

red states rule
10-23-2008, 09:37 PM
so Murtha's congressional district is going to counterbalance a 10% Obama lead in PA?:lol:

and you wanna bet some money on whether Murtha wins or not?

How about Obama?

But we both know that you welch on YOUR bets so forget I asked.:laugh2:

Polls here are closing. The Gov of PA is begging the chosen one to get back here and git the road

Murtha shot off his mouth, insulted his own constituents, and has perhaps put the state in play

retiredman
10-23-2008, 09:40 PM
Polls here are closing. The Gov of PA is begging the chosen one to get back here and git the road

Murtha shot off his mouth, insulted his own constituents, and has perhaps put the state in play

so at least you admit that you welch on your bets.

If you were an honest man who honored his wagers, I would bet you a C-note on Obama AND Murtha right now....but alas, we both know that is not the case.

red states rule
10-23-2008, 09:41 PM
so at least you admit that you welch on your bets.

If you were an honest man who honored his wagers, I would bet you a C-note on Obama AND Murtha right now....but alas, we both know that is not the case.

Did not admit anything. We know you welched on the terms

Back to topic at hand, Murtha; with his usual arrogance; has helped McCain and made his race a contest

retiredman
10-23-2008, 09:44 PM
Did not admit anything. We know you welched on the terms

Back to topic at hand, Murtha; with his usual arrogance; has helped McCain and made his race a contest

no. we both know that there were no terms. We made a bet. YOu said that if you won, you would donate your winnings from me to an animal shelter. I never agreed to any such thing. I WON the wager, and you welched on the bet. plain and simple.

ANd your opinion of Murtha's arrogance and his impact on the race in PA is just that...your opinion. I asked you if you wanted to put some money on your opinion...that would go to MY wallet if I won and to YOUR wallet if you won....but then we both know your track record in those sorts of wagers.

red states rule
10-23-2008, 09:45 PM
no. we both know that there were no terms. We made a bet. YOu said that if you won, you would donate your winnings from me to an animal shelter. I never agreed to any such thing. I WON the wager, and you welched on the bet. plain and simple.

ANd your opinion of Murtha's arrogance and his impact on the race in PA is just that...your opinion. I asked you if you wanted to put some money on your opinion...that would go to MY wallet if I won and to YOUR wallet if you won....but then we both know your track record in those sorts of wagers.

The polls tell a different story. Funny how you love the polls when they go your way - but want to ignore the ones that go against you

retiredman
10-23-2008, 09:47 PM
The polls tell a different story. Funny how you love the polls when they go your way - but want to ignore the ones that go against you

if you think the polls are in your favor, then agree to a wager. I am willing to bet you $100 on a Murtha victory AND an Obama victory. In or out? Fish or cut bait.

Yurt
10-23-2008, 11:57 PM
if you think the polls are in your favor, then agree to a wager. I am willing to bet you $100 on a Murtha victory AND an Obama victory. In or out? Fish or cut bait.

i'll bet you $1,200,000 you're wrong

old lira currency

Psychoblues
10-24-2008, 01:54 AM
Murtha maintains a 4% lead despite the comments. He will retain his seat. Obama will carry PA as well in the general. And I don't want to hear any whining from the Republicans about it when it happens. It would be much better if we could all simply agree to help these good Democrats in legislation and the advancement of good progressive governance of this great country of ours!!!!!!!!!

:salute::cheers2::clap::laugh2::cheers2::salute:

red states rule
10-24-2008, 03:00 AM
Murtha maintains a 4% lead despite the comments. He will retain his seat. Obama will carry PA as well in the general. And I don't want to hear any whining from the Republicans about it when it happens. It would be much better if we could all simply agree to help these good Democrats in legislation and the advancement of good progressive governance of this great country of ours!!!!!!!!!

:salute::cheers2::clap::laugh2::cheers2::salute:

In years where John "the Marines killed in cold blood" Murtha won by 20 points, thanks to his arrogance he is a fightr for his political life; it is great to see where voters have had enough of this blowhard

For some reason, liberals do not understand why after Murtha insults his own constituents they do not wish to vote for him