PDA

View Full Version : Muslim clerks at Target refuse to ring up pork products

Little-Acorn
03-20-2007, 12:09 PM
It seems that some Muslims have quite a few problems with American customs, ranging from political cartoons to open debate of issues to even touching a CAN that has a pork product in it.

It is becoming apparent to me that Americans dealing with these issues one at a time, and changing what we do so that we don't offend these people, isn't working. I suggest we put a more permanent solution to the problems these Muslim people are having into effect, not by transferring the Clerks to jifferent jobs, but by transferring them to diffeerent Target stores: The stores in Muslim countries. Then they will have no further problems with American customs and ways of life, because they will be far away from them. A win-win situation overall!

That's the reason, in fact, why we have different countries in the first place. In our country, we can do the things we like as a people, without risk of offendinng those in other countries. And they can do the things they like in their countries, and we will not take notice or ask them to change their own private ways.

Oh, there aren't any Target stores in Muslim countries? Why not? Don't the residents of those countries want them? That's certainly their perogative. We can simply transfer the clerks who object to our stores' policies, to those Muslim countries, and they can wait for their countrymen to see the light ans start building Target stores - with or without pork products, as they desire.

In this country, Target is a large store that sells many things, including pork products. People who work there as clerks, are supposed to ring them all up when customers want to buy them. Did the Muslims in question not know these facts when they applied for the job?

BTW, I heard that some Jewish people also have a custom of not touching or eating pork. Have any clerks at Target who are Jewish, refused to ring up cans of pork products? Or refused to put a carton of milk beside a meat product? Or etc.?

Are there any Catholic clerks at Target, who refuse to ring up meat products on Fridays?

Why is it only Muslims who insist that Target change their job descriptions to accomodate their religion?

-----------------------------------------

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,259374,00.html

Some Target Stores Change Duties for Muslim Cashiers Who Object to Ringing Up Pork

Saturday, March 17, 2007

MINNEAPOLIS — Muslim cashiers at some local Target stores who object to ringing up products that contain pork are being shifted to other positions, the national retailer said Saturday.

Some Muslim cashiers had declined to scan products such as bacon because doing so would conflict with their religious beliefs. They would ask other cashiers to ring up such purchases, or some customers scanned the items themselves.

Minneapolis-based Target Corp. has offered the cashiers the option of wearing gloves, shifting to other positions or transferring to other stores.

"We are confident that this is a reasonable solution for our guests and team members," Target spokeswoman Paula Thornton-Greear said in a statement e-mailed to The Associated Press on Saturday.

Islam teaches that eating pork is forbidden, and some Muslims feel selling or handling pork is also forbidden because it would make them complicit in the sins of others.

Nukeman
03-20-2007, 12:29 PM
Fuck em if they wont do the job they were hired to do FIRE THEM, I am sure they might be able to get a good job in a kosher deli, of course that might mean they have to quit fighting with the Jews for a while. At least at work!!!!

5stringJeff
03-20-2007, 12:51 PM
Word. No one is forcing Muslims to take a job that handles pork. Let them find work elsewhere.

Abbey Marie
03-20-2007, 12:53 PM
If we give in to these demands, we aren't far from total capitulation.

Trigg
03-20-2007, 01:00 PM
This is the second story out of Minneapolis about their muslim population. The cab drivers at the airports have been refusing travelers carrying alcohol.

Now I see why Australia is talking about limiting the amount of Muslims they let into the country. They arn't trying to fit into the communities they move into they're trying to take over.

If they're hired to do a job, than do it, or get another job. There are plenty of jobs out there that have no contact with pork or alcohol.

Mr. P
03-20-2007, 01:03 PM
Fuck em if they wont do the job they were hired to do FIRE THEM, I am sure they might be able to get a good job in a kosher deli, of course that might mean they have to quit fighting with the Jews for a while. At least at work!!!!

Word. No one is forcing Muslims to take a job that handles pork. Let them find work elsewhere.

If we give in to these demands, we aren't far from total capitulation.

Yup, if you won't do the job find another.
I think it's a bad move for Target to make concessions to a 'group'. I’m afraid it could start a domino effect with other companies.

Has anyone else noticed that all the stories we hear about Muslims lately seem to be coming from MINNEAPOLIS? What’s up with the home of the Swedes an Nors?

KitchenKitten99
03-20-2007, 02:11 PM
If I didn't have a nice home and my family here (aka single), I would up and move to Australia if that is what they are talking about there... even the fact that they are talking about it makes the place all the more attractive.

LiberalNation
03-20-2007, 03:00 PM
I don't think pharmacist should refuse to sell you birthcontrol because of their moral believes. I don't think Wal-Mart checkers should get to not sell you alchol in theur line because of religious beliefs and I don't think this muslim should be able to do this. Don't do that job if your morals prevent you from doing it in some situations.

Abbey Marie
03-20-2007, 03:08 PM
They should put the cashiers in bikinis and pig noses, and blast Hava Nagila throughout the store, while employees dance the Hora in the aisles.

KitchenKitten99
03-20-2007, 03:09 PM
They should put the cashiers in bikinis and pig noses, and blast Hava Nagila throughout the store, while employees dance the Hora in the aisles.

:coffee:

Mr. P
03-20-2007, 03:11 PM

Cashiers in bikinis? I'm in, I'll shop there! Well, at least once just to see. :dance:

LiberalNation
03-20-2007, 03:12 PM
They are a private business and can do what they want as long as it doesn't break any laws including allowing this guy not to habdle pig products. That's their right, I just disagree with it.

Abbey Marie
03-20-2007, 03:19 PM
They are a private business and can do what they want as long as it doesn't break any laws including allowing this guy not to habdle pig products. That's their right, I just disagree with it.

You're right, LN. They can choose to turn a blind eye to how letting groups come here and not only refuse to assimilate, but even demand special accomodations, eventually ruins a country. Just like Europe is seeing now.

We all can choose to not shop there too, as I did (all of two or three times a year) when they turned away the Salvation Army at Christmas time. No big loss to me.

Abbey Marie
03-20-2007, 03:20 PM
Cashiers in bikinis? I'm in, I'll shop there! Well, at least once just to see. :dance:

It could be ugly! :coffee:

Abbey Marie
03-20-2007, 03:22 PM

How long before they demand that Redskins fans not be allowed to wear their Hog paraphernalia?

Mr. P
03-20-2007, 03:22 PM

Tis why I said 'at least once'. :laugh2:

Abbey Marie
03-20-2007, 03:23 PM
Tis why I said 'at least once'. :laugh2:

:clap:

Mr. P
03-20-2007, 03:25 PM
Now if they team-up with Hooters, say every Saturday, I'll bet sales would sky rocket!

Abbey Marie
03-20-2007, 03:27 PM
Now if they team-up with Hooters, say every Saturday, I'll bet sales would sky rocket!

As long as they serve hot dogs and pork sandwiches. :salute:

03-20-2007, 03:54 PM
Worked at a convenience store where i had to distribute coffee and ciggerrettes. I have religious reasons for opposing the use of these products, but I don't get the make the choice at work. I had to work where I had to work.

If I owned the price, I would want the right to not sell products that were contrary to my belief. But I don't think you have the right to tell others they cant sell it because of your beliefs.

gabosaurus
03-20-2007, 04:02 PM
When pharmacists were not allowed to follow their religious beliefs in denying birth control measures, the fundies were kicking and screaming in protest.
Yet when another religious group wants to follow their beliefs, fundies are kicking and screaming in the other direction.

Abbey Marie
03-20-2007, 04:04 PM
When pharmacists were not allowed to follow their religious beliefs in denying birth control measures, the fundies were kicking and screaming in protest.
Yet when another religious group wants to follow their beliefs, fundies are kicking and screaming in the other direction.

See LiberalNation, what did I tell you about fundamental Christianity?

03-20-2007, 04:34 PM

You seem to be fundamentally misunderstanding the difference between owning your own business and following your religious belief and working for someone else and making them follow your belief.. they are fundamentally different.

Yurt
03-20-2007, 08:22 PM
I think you guys are being harsh. I see no problem giving muslims what they want. Lets give them:

the right to handle and food (religious freedom)
eat any food
take any passenger in a taxi
have their own laws to handle things islamically
and
they should have their own land to do so

I shall call this:

IranistanArabianville

Now, my fellow muslims, you have what you want, get moving, I hear there is a free land grab there, all you have to do is actually settle in and build a house within two years.

:fu:

*tears* will miss you

:finger3:

Hobbit
03-21-2007, 12:15 AM

Actually, I was in favor of firing the pharmacists who refused to hand out birth control and morning after pills. If you have objections to anything you may have to do on the job, it's your duty to tell your employer. They may choose not to hire you, but that's the price of your conviction.

mundame
03-22-2007, 10:18 AM
Now I see why Australia is talking about limiting the amount of Muslims they let into the country. They arn't trying to fit into the communities they move into they're trying to take over.

Yes, they are trying to take over. "The bloody borders of Islam," as Huntington said: it's happening everywhere in the world, and usually involves terrorism and civil war, as in Thailand and Nigeria.

I think the United States is crazy to allow Muslims to immigrate here: why are we doing this? We'll just end up like Europe, with them replacing us.

I think Muslim in-migration should be stopped.

5stringJeff
03-22-2007, 10:34 AM
Yes, they are trying to take over. "The bloody borders of Islam," as Huntington said: it's happening everywhere in the world, and usually involves terrorism and civil war, as in Thailand and Nigeria.

I think the United States is crazy to allow Muslims to immigrate here: why are we doing this? We'll just end up like Europe, with them replacing us.

I agree.

Gaffer
03-22-2007, 11:29 PM

I agree with that. Want to see it here. Just look at dearbornistan.