PDA

View Full Version : HIV scare puts Mo. school in uncertain territory

LiberalNation
10-24-2008, 08:47 AM
These officials are spreading the fear by not fully explaining the situation or even giving details of what happened. They are causing it. Full disclosure in this situation should be more important than protecting peoples privacy if your going to make such a bombshell public announcment affecting dozens of peoples kids.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081024/ap_on_re_us/high_school_hiv;_ylt=AlXOBbq7fbiM2KYp5qNC5FNvzwcF

NORMANDY, Mo. – Students at a suburban St. Louis high school headed to the gymnasium for HIV testing this week after an infected person told health officials as many as 50 teenagers might have been exposed to the virus that causes AIDS.

Officials refused to give details on who the person was or how the students at Normandy High School might have been exposed, but the district is consulting with national AIDS organizations as it tries to minimize the fallout and prevent the infection — and misinformation — from spreading.

"There's potential for stigma for all students regardless of whether they're positive or negative," Normandy School District spokesman Doug Hochstedler said Thursday. "The board wants to be sure all children are fully educated."

A teacher in a neighboring district singled out a girl who dates someone at Normandy High and instructed her to get tested, Hochstedler said. A competing school's football team initially balked at playing Normandy's 8-0 team.

Jasmine Lane, a 16-year-old sophomore, said her boyfriend from a neighboring high school broke up with her on learning of the news — after she bought them tickets to homecoming.

"I cried so hard," she said.

Hochstedler said that as far as he knows, no other district has had to handle a similar situation. Students at the school of 1,300 are being tested voluntarily, and the district is getting advice on the best ways to support kids in crisis.

Sophomore Tevin Baldwin said that many of his classmates in this working-class city of about 5,000 residents want to transfer out of the district, which encompasses other towns.

"Nobody knows what's going on," he said. The district declined to respond to his assertion.

Marcus Holman, a 14-year-old freshman, said he never imagined HIV would become such a widespread threat at school.

"I'm just trying to pass, get to the next grade, safely," he said.

Normandy Superintendent Stanton Lawrence agreed that students remain focused on learning, despite concerns and distraction. There's no hysteria or panic, and school is running routinely, he said.

"They recognize this situation is what it is, and doesn't mean school is over," he said. "Their concern is heightened, but we have to face it and do the responsible thing."

The St. Louis County Health Department said last week that a positive HIV test raised concern that students at Normandy might have been exposed. The department is not saying whether the infected person was a student or connected with the school, only that the person indicated as many as 50 students may have been exposed.

The Health Department also will not say how any exposure might have occurred. Health Department spokesman Craig LeFebvre has said the possibilities include sexual activity, intravenous drug use, piercings and tattoos.

Hochstedler said the district doesn't know the person's identity, or even whether he or she is a student.

"We do know there was some potential exposure between that person and students," he said. "We don't know the individual or the route of transmission."

The district learned Oct. 9 of the potential exposure and within a business day worked out with the Health Department how to release the information and handle testing, he said.

"They took a very proactive stance," he said. "There's no precedent for this."

Students are being tested at six stations in the high school gymnasium, one class at a time. Only representatives from the Health Department are with the students, who are offered educational materials and a chance to ask questions before they are given an opportunity to be tested with a mouth swab, Hochstedler said. They may decline.

They exit through a separate door, and no one in the school would know who did or did not get tested.

"It's entirely up to the student," he said. "There's a lot of stigma associated with this."

The district will never know whether or how many of its students tested positive, he said.

"Once they're tested," he said, "it's an issue between the department and the child and his family."

theHawk
10-24-2008, 09:13 AM
Un-fucking-believable. How can these people get away with not telling the parents what the possible cause is?

This whole thing is just way to strange. Something very shady is going on there.

Nukeman
10-24-2008, 09:37 AM
Un-fucking-believable. How can these people get away with not telling the parents what the possible cause is?

This whole thing is just way to strange. Something very shady is going on there.
Probabaly one of the teachers fucking their students.....

emmett
10-24-2008, 09:48 AM
Who cares? Population control of undesireables under God's terms! It is really just as simple as that.

I can tell anyone how to be 100% eliminated from the possibility of contracted the virus. Don't screw anyone except who you are married to, don't shoot drugs into your body with a needle and you need not worry about it.

The unilateral thing that is existane with all carriers and "victims" of HIV is that each and every one brought it upon themselves with irresponsible......avoidable......and detestful behavior. AIDS sufferers would have you believe that we are responsible for their conditions when the fact is that they are warned about the effects, the result and the risk but still choose to indulge in risky behavior.

AIDS is one of the simplest subjects there are. Have sex with a queer, what the fuck do you expect. Shoot drugs into your veins with a needle.....what the fuck do you expect. AND......on top of it all, our new president will ask us all to support these folks, pay their hospital bills, welfare, unemployment and eventually.......their partners social security benefits when the other dies.

Give me a break!!!!!

LiberalNation
10-24-2008, 09:51 AM
It doesn't have to be "queer" sex. It can be passed through heterosexual relations too ya know. Or unintentional needle sticks which happens a lot with healthcare workers, or unintentional spread like the vegas clinic that used "dirty" needles on patients to cut cost. It's not "that" simple.

theHawk
10-24-2008, 09:53 AM
It doesn't have to be "queer" sex. It can be passed through heterosexual relations too ya know. Or unintentional needle sticks which happens a lot with healthcare workers, or unintentional spread like the vegas clinic that used "dirty" needles on patients to cut cost. It's not "that" simple.

Please. We all know it "could" happen those ways. But it's still a disease that is rampant in the homosexual community. Its fags and bi-sexuals that are spreading it.

LiberalNation
10-24-2008, 09:59 AM
Its fags and bi-sexuals that are spreading it.
You don't know that in this case.

emmett
10-24-2008, 10:06 AM
Buttpluggers and drug addicts are 99% of it. Accidental infections are a spinoff of their irresponsible behavior. Every one of them share the blame in this murderous and unfortunate circumstance.

As a Libertarian I wholeheartedly support a persons right to be a queer and assist in the ridding of this undesireabloe sector of the world's population. I also reserve my private right to be critical of it! Technically homosexuality is a threat to national security however. Hundreds of millions of dollars are spent each year on medical bills for these individuals who become indigent since they can't work and insurance usually does not cover them or they do not have it. This money could go to more worthy causes. I have the right to say this because I am a tax payer and I don't want to support the welfare of someone who indulges in such risky behavior. If the public can tell me they want me to wear a motorcycle helmet because otherwise I am a public burden if I am hurt, then what the hell is a homosexual, a public burden.

Immanuel
10-24-2008, 10:09 AM
Probabaly one of the teachers fucking their students.....

No, that would be Florida.

Immie

LiberalNation
10-24-2008, 10:19 AM
then what the hell is a homosexual, a public burden.
A heterosexual who constantly sleeps around is more a burden then a homosexual in a stable lasting relationship when it comes to aids. Yeah you have a right to your opinion and I have a right to think that opinion is based on stupid generalizations and logical fallacy.