PDA

View Full Version : Middle-Aged Women Drive Rise In U.S. Suicides: Study

Psychoblues
10-26-2008, 03:30 AM
This is indeed a sad situation.

Source: Reuters (via Yahoo)

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. suicide rates appear to be on the rise, driven mostly by middle-aged white women, researchers reported on Tuesday.

They found a disturbing increase in suicides between 1999 and 2005 and said the pattern had changed in an unmistakable way -- although the reasons behind the change are not clear.....................

"The biggest increase that we have seen between 1999 and 2005 was the increase in poisoning suicide in women -- that went up by 57 percent," said Susan Baker, a professor in injury prevention with a special expertise in suicide..................................

"Are these people living alone, with no major responsibility or others to take care of, or are they people overwhelmed with all of the jobs and responsibilities they have? We need to find out more about the conditions under which these people are living.".........................

More: http://www.reuters.com/article/lifestyleMolt/idUSTRE49K0MY20081021?pageNumber=2&virtualBrandChannel=0

I hope this trend can be reversed.

crin63
10-26-2008, 10:12 AM
Its a terrible trend but one that doesn't surprise me.
Feminist keep trying to be something they're not and can never be, men. They are going completely against their nature. I have never met one that is actually happy. Every one that I have met is bitter, angry and thinks the world owes them something because they were dealt a bad hand.

Women are intelligent, strong, great organizers and many other admirable traits that most men can never hope to attain but they are not men and need to quit trying to be men. They need to quit listening to the propaganda and just be women. They're great at that.

Trigg
10-26-2008, 02:52 PM
Its a terrible trend but one that doesn't surprise me.
Feminist keep trying to be something they're not and can never be, men. They are going completely against their nature. I have never met one that is actually happy. Every one that I have met is bitter, angry and thinks the world owes them something because they were dealt a bad hand.

Women are intelligent, strong, great organizers and many other admirable traits that most men can never hope to attain but they are not men and need to quit trying to be men. They need to quit listening to the propaganda and just be women. They're great at that.

This is probably somewhat true. All of those women who bought into the idea that they shouldn't marry or have children are now living alone with no one to visit them. While they're friends who did marry and have kids are starting to get grandchildren and are involved in things with their extended families.

A young women that I work with recently married, but they don't want children. She came to work the other day and was talking about how her life is basicaly over. She has a career, she has a house and she's married, her words were "what else is there to look forward to except working"?

Psychoblues
10-27-2008, 01:02 AM
So you agree with others posting here that feminism is the underlying cause of middle aged women committing suicide at alarming rates?

This is probably somewhat true. All of those women who bought into the idea that they shouldn't marry or have children are now living alone with no one to visit them. While they're friends who did marry and have kids are starting to get grandchildren and are involved in things with their extended families.

A young women that I work with recently married, but they don't want children. She came to work the other day and was talking about how her life is basicaly over. She has a career, she has a house and she's married, her words were "what else is there to look forward to except working"?

The evidence just doesn't bear that out, trigg. Did you even read the article?

:salute::cheers2::clap::laugh2::cheers2::salute:

Trigg
10-28-2008, 11:08 AM
So you agree with others posting here that feminism is the underlying cause of middle aged women committing suicide at alarming rates?

The evidence just doesn't bear that out, trigg. Did you even read the article?

Yes, I did read the article especially this part.

"Are these people living alone, with no major responsibility or others to take care of, or are they people overwhelmed with all of the jobs and responsibilities they have? We need to find out more about the conditions under which these people are living."

Also this part where they say the reasons for the change aren't clear. Maybe your omnipotent and know the answer to why suicides are climbing even when the article you post doesn't know.:laugh2:

although the reasons behind the change are not clear.....................

Your reading comprehension is slipping again. I said nothing about feminism being the cause. I stated that crin has a point and is probably somewhat right. My thoughts had to do with women who chose career over family and now have no one in their lives.

Come on now psycho, this isn't even a long thread, try to keep up.

Abbey Marie
10-28-2008, 11:47 AM

A young women that I work with recently married, but they don't want children. She came to work the other day and was talking about how her life is basicaly over. She has a career, she has a house and she's married, her words were "what else is there to look forward to except working?"

I can see childlessness as a contributing cause for feeling fatalistic, but I think it pales in comparison to a lack of belief in God/afterlife, as a cause. You can have twenty kids, but if you believe it's over when you die, there still isn't much meaning to it all, imo.

Trigg
10-28-2008, 12:04 PM
I can see childlessness as a contributing cause for feeling fatalistic, but I think it pales in comparison to a lack of belief in God/afterlife, as a cause. You can have tweny kids, but if you believe it's over when you die, there still isn't much meaning to it all, imo.

I agree. As far as the person I was talking about, I don't know her views on the afterlife. I get the idea that she isn't very religious.

Psychoblues
10-28-2008, 03:18 PM
Oh no, Trigg!!!!!!!! I'm a lot closer to incompetent than anything omnipotent!!!!!!!!! I think this is a serious subject and I see that several here, including you, seem to feel the same way. My wife had an experience at about age 45 where she dropped into a serious depression and it took about a year, lots of antidepressants and counseling to get her out of it. I was just the opposite at that age. I thought I was King Kong and set out to prove it in any way I could!!!!!!!

Yes, I did read the article especially this part.

Also this part where they say the reasons for the change aren't clear. Maybe your omnipotent and know the answer to why suicides are climbing even when the article you post doesn't know.:laugh2:

Your reading comprehension is slipping again. I said nothing about feminism being the cause. I stated that crin has a point and is probably somewhat right. My thoughts had to do with women who chose career over family and now have no one in their lives.

Come on now psycho, this isn't even a long thread, try to keep up.

As you can see, because I have personal experience with the general gist of the article, propensity of middle aged women to commit suicide, and have been seeking answers now for many years I felt this a good article and a good time to discuss it with the people that I consider the smartest, most observant and thoughtful yet not so clinically inclined so as to just blow me away with medical or psychological bullshit as I found her doctors so prone to do. This is apparently a common place dilemma and sometimes common folk can better work these things out than the professionals.

I didn't mean to sound so stark in that post. I readily admit to my incompetence!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can I buy you a beer?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!?!

crin63
10-28-2008, 05:22 PM

I can see childlessness as a contributing cause for feeling fatalistic, but I think it pales in comparison to a lack of belief in God/afterlife, as a cause. You can have twenty kids, but if you believe it's over when you die, there still isn't much meaning to it all, imo.

I think you both have very valid points and I'm not trying to knock women. I love women and love being around women. I have just never actually seen a rabid man hating feminist that was actually happy. All the women I know who were feminists but have since decided to embrace just being women are so much happier.

Since the topic was danced around me. I'm sorry to hear your wife went through that PB.

LiberalNation
10-28-2008, 05:43 PM
Or maybe they are unhappy because they don't seem themselves as measureng up as "women", skinny, attractive, sexy, ect. ect.

Gender roles are one thing but not everyone fits into a single one exactly. Wanting to be masculine while the world forces feminin on you would be just as opressive and depressing.

Psychoblues
10-28-2008, 08:40 PM
I didn't mean to "dance the topic around" you, crin. But to be honest I reject the premise of feminism somehow being a contributing factor in this circumstance. I am sure there are exceptions but I find women that embrace feminism to be very strong minded, well adjusted, positive and ambitious.

I think you both have very valid points and I'm not trying to knock women. I love women and love being around women. I have just never actually seen a rabid man hating feminist that was actually happy. All the women I know who were feminists but have since decided to embrace just being women are so much happier.

Since the topic was danced around me. I'm sorry to hear your wife went through that PB.

In my wife's case I think her depression was more akin to the fact that by her age 45 all our kids were in college and well on their way to developing their own lives and didn't need or ask for so much from us any longer. I thought it was a blessing. She felt differently.

But, my wife was never suicidal that I know about. She just didn't feel good about much and it became a struggle to the point of clinical intervention. With that predicament came medications that she takes to this day and that I feel interfere in our marriage but that is another story for another time. She may not even be a suitable candidate for consideration in this discussion.

Suicide is not an option that should be taken lightly or even at all. I think the incidence of suicide among middle aged women, particularly lately as it seems the paradigm is changing, is definitely something that all of us need to be aware of and sensitive to. Maybe you or I or someone else that has read this article or participated in a conversation like this might see something amiss and take some positive action to save some distressed woman or at least do something that might improve her attitude about life in general.

Again, I didn't mean to dance around your remarks above. Thanks for the holler back, crin!!!!!!!!!!!

Can I buy you a beer?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Trigg
10-29-2008, 12:32 PM
Oh no, Trigg!!!!!!!! I'm a lot closer to incompetent than anything omnipotent!!!!!!!!! I think this is a serious subject and I see that several here, including you, seem to feel the same way. My wife had an experience at about age 45 where she dropped into a serious depression and it took about a year, lots of antidepressants and counseling to get her out of it. I was just the opposite at that age. I thought I was King Kong and set out to prove it in any way I could!!!!!!!

As you can see, because I have personal experience with the general gist of the article, propensity of middle aged women to commit suicide, and have been seeking answers now for many years I felt this a good article and a good time to discuss it with the people that I consider the smartest, most observant and thoughtful yet not so clinically inclined so as to just blow me away with medical or psychological bullshit as I found her doctors so prone to do. This is apparently a common place dilemma and sometimes common folk can better work these things out than the professionals.

I didn't mean to sound so stark in that post. I readily admit to my incompetence!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can I buy you a beer?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!?!

I'm sorry to hear about the trouble your wife has had.

I don't have anyone in my family who has dealt with depression for any length of time....so I don't have any firsthand experiences to base an oppinion on. I'm simply thinking out loud.

manu1959
10-29-2008, 01:48 PM
there have been a few attempted and one succesfull suicied in my extended family as well as a a few slow long painfull self inflicted suicides by booze drugs cigarettes and or all of the above....

all a result of depression....tied to a lack of purpose in life and or failure.....

raising children gives one a purpose....one of the fundemental biological purposes of wowmen is to have children and nurture them.....

i have a dear friend that chose work and her life over this biological purpose and she has now missed out.....she is beyond depressed....

she is the one that pointed all this out to me.....

my purpose...to teach the next generation and leave the things i touch better than i found them....

once i die others will decide if i did well.....

crin63
10-29-2008, 04:13 PM
I also wonder how many of these women had abortions.

Abbey Marie
10-29-2008, 07:26 PM

Excellent point, Crin.

Psychoblues
10-29-2008, 11:32 PM
Holy shit!!!!!!!!!! Your sickness never ends, does it, crin?!!?!??!?!?!?!?!??!

Have you ever considered going into psychoanaysis?!?!?!??!?!????! No? Good thing for the population. Your prejudices might overwhelm your otherwise objective examinations.

Sheeeeeeeeshhhhhhhh!!!!!!!! What a genuine shitty thing to say!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!