PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Threatens To Halt Services To Iraq

Psychoblues
10-27-2008, 01:22 AM
without troop accord.

We already have an accord. It says we need to be ought of there by the end of this year. WTF is gwb holding out for?!?!!?????!???!?!?!??!?

Source: McClatchy Newspapers

BAGHDAD _ The U.S. military has warned Iraq that it will shut down military operations and other vital services throughout the country on Jan. 1 if the Iraqi government doesn't agree to a new agreement on the status of U.S. forces or a renewed United Nations mandate for the American mission in Iraq.

Many Iraqi politicians view the move as akin to political blackmail, a top Iraqi official told McClatchy Sunday.

In addition to halting all military actions, U.S. forces would cease activities that support Iraq’s economy, educational sector and other areas _ "everything" _ said Tariq al Hashimi, the country’s Sunni Muslim vice president. "I didn’t know the Americans are rendering such wide-scale services."

Hashimi said that Army Gen. Ray Odierno, the top U.S. military commander in Iraq, listed “tens” of areas of potential cutoffs in a three-page letter, and he said the implied threat caught Iraqi leaders by surprise.

"It was really shocking for us," he said. "Many people are looking to this attitude as a matter of blackmailing."....................................

More: http://www.mcclatchydc.com/world/story/54795.html

gwb foreign policy being denigrated by Iraqis and others as "blackmail"!!!!!!!!! No surprise there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:salute::cheers2::clap::laugh2::cheers2::salute:

ChristopherL
11-15-2008, 08:25 PM
We should be calling the shots there, we are paying their way when they have about $80 billion dollars in the bank. We should of never allowed their Islamic constitution to be allowed either.

Immanuel
11-15-2008, 08:32 PM
Okay, where is the punchline?

After all these years of being told that we have to be there to keep Iran out of there for the safety of U.S. Citizens, now he is going to pull out in less than six weeks because the puppet government of Iraq is not playing his game?

There's a catch somewhere in there... I know it.

But wouldn't that be wonderful if we could just get out like that?

Immie

Yurt
11-15-2008, 08:48 PM
We should be calling the shots there, we are paying their way when they have about $80 billion dollars in the bank. We should of never allowed their Islamic constitution to be allowed either.

:clap:

though kind of ironic that others say we are there to take over....

5stringJeff
11-16-2008, 09:33 AM
We ought to just start pulling out on January 1st. Our work there is complete; Iraqis are handling the job of national security.

Kathianne
11-16-2008, 09:44 AM
another day, another story:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081116/ap_on_re_mi_ea/ml_iraq

Iraqi Cabinet approves security pact with US

By QASSIM ABDUL-ZAHRA, Associated Press Writer
2 hrs 40 mins ago
BAGHDAD – Iraq's Cabinet on Sunday approved a security pact with the United States that will allow American forces to stay in Iraq for three years after their U.N. mandate expires at the end of the year, the government said.

The decision followed months of difficult negotiations and, pending parliamentary approval, will remove a major point of contention between the two allies....

5stringJeff
11-16-2008, 09:48 AM
Three more years. Oh boy. :rolleyes:

Kathianne
11-16-2008, 09:57 AM

I think it will be a highly reduced force, no?

Immanuel
11-16-2008, 10:28 AM

Even three years would be better than a lifetime which is more likely what this will turn into.

Immie

5stringJeff
11-16-2008, 04:11 PM
I think it will be a highly reduced force, no?

As I understand it, Obama wants to have all combat forces out by 2011. I'd rather all our forces were out by then completely.

No1tovote4
11-16-2008, 04:15 PM
As I understand it, Obama wants to have all combat forces out by 2011. I'd rather all our forces were out by then completely.
I thought 2011 was the current date being negotiated, Obama wants them out by 2010.

Kathianne
11-16-2008, 04:21 PM

"You" want, what's wrong with that?

Psychoblues
11-17-2008, 12:07 AM
Are you all now ready to admit that the War On Iraq was and is a farce?!?!???!?!??!?!?!?!?!?

Psychoblues

ChristopherL
11-17-2008, 12:24 AM
:clap:

though kind of ironic that others say we are there to take over....

Thanks Yurt. We freed the Muslims from the Saddam and now they show their true colors. I recently wrote this article on Iraq.

http://islaminaction08.blogspot.com/2008/11/iraqchristian-sisters-murdered.html