PDA

View Full Version : Employee Free Choice Act

Classact
10-27-2008, 07:43 AM
Is code for unionizing the entire USA. Take a look at the Democratic party platform and go to page 16. http://www.democrats.org/a/party/platform.html

I think this is the most dangerous thing that could happen in a Democratic Party majority, it could result in making all savings worthless. How did I get there, well consider this: If let's say fast food is unionized workers will make better wage but the food will cost so much most will stop eating there... the same with Wal Mart and so on...

I remember Detroit in the 1960's when dumb assed eighth graders joined auto unions and demanded higher wages and benefits to the point they were earning $20 an hour while minimum wage was well under $3 an hour. Equally qualified workers had a $17 difference in income not to mention benefits. Now imagine this nationwide and consider the inflation related to such a movement and how the non union workers would be punished in to a very bleak poverty. But they wouldn't be alone because all the baby boomers on SS will be right there with them unable to buy the new higher products and services.

With Unionization of America the funding of the next election could make Obama's election budget look like poverty.

red states rule
10-27-2008, 07:51 AM
Is code for unionizing the entire USA. Take a look at the Democratic party platform and go to page 16. http://www.democrats.org/a/party/platform.html

I think this is the most dangerous thing that could happen in a Democratic Party majority, it could result in making all savings worthless. How did I get there, well consider this: If let's say fast food is unionized workers will make better wage but the food will cost so much most will stop eating there... the same with Wal Mart and so on...

I remember Detroit in the 1960's when dumb assed eighth graders joined auto unions and demanded higher wages and benefits to the point they were earning $20 an hour while minimum wage was well under $3 an hour. Equally qualified workers had a $17 difference in income not to mention benefits. Now imagine this nationwide and consider the inflation related to such a movement and how the non union workers would be punished in to a very bleak poverty. But they wouldn't be alone because all the baby boomers on SS will be right there with them unable to buy the new higher products and services.

With Unionization of America the funding of the next election could make Obama's election budget look like poverty.

The unions are nothing more then a wholly owned subsidiary of the DNC. It is not a surprise Obama and the Dems will do everything possible to increase their power

Dems see unions a s a cash cow. Union thugs force people to join unions, they take aprt of their money - and a huge amount of that money finds it way to the DNC as contributions

They ignore how unions destroy US companies - look at the state of MI for an example

Immanuel
10-27-2008, 08:04 AM

I have to disagree with you here.

I'm not giving up fast food for anyone. :D j/k

Really though, I disagree with you on this. In this case capitalism will still prevail. Employer costs will go up but if the unions get in every fast food joint, the costs will go up for every fast food joint. If the cost of a cheeseburger and fries goes up too high people like me will stop going to fast food restuarants and eventually the prices of those burgers and fries will come back down.

And of course, if the entire country is unionized all of our wages will go up so we can afford to pay more for those burgers and fries. However, that is inflationary and bad for government... which means taxes revenues will go up... etc. It is a vicious cycle.

Immie

red states rule
10-27-2008, 08:41 AM
I have to disagree with you here.

I'm not giving up fast food for anyone. :D j/k

Really though, I disagree with you on this. In this case capitalism will still prevail. Employer costs will go up but if the unions get in every fast food joint, the costs will go up for every fast food joint. If the cost of a cheeseburger and fries goes up too high people like me will stop going to fast food restuarants and eventually the prices of those burgers and fries will come back down.

And of course, if the entire country is unionized all of our wages will go up so we can afford to pay more for those burgers and fries. However, that is inflationary and bad for government... which means taxes revenues will go up... etc. It is a vicious cycle.

Immie

Immie, I know first hand how unions are worthless. Many years ago, they did have the interests of their workers at heart - now they are for power and money for the union bosses

Not to mention many are in the hip pocket of the mob

They ruin companies, and in time, put their workers out of work

Immanuel
10-27-2008, 08:48 AM
Immie, I know first hand how unions are worthless. Many years ago, they did have the interests of their workers at heart - now they are for power and money for the union bosses

Not to mention many are in the hip pocket of the mob

They ruin companies, and in time, put their workers out of work

That is not the point. CA's point was that an unionized America would be inflationary and make all of our savings worthless.

If all Americans were unionized then all of our wages would go up, but in the long run, the capital markets would win out and prices would again stabilize.

Yes, today's unions are corrupt, just as today's politicians are corrupt, but that is not the point I took away from CA's post.

Immie

red states rule
10-27-2008, 09:02 AM
That is not the point. CA's point was that an unionized America would be inflationary and make all of our savings worthless.

If all Americans were unionized then all of our wages would go up, but in the long run, the capital markets would win out and prices would again stabilize.

Yes, today's unions are corrupt, just as today's politicians are corrupt, but that is not the point I took away from CA's post.

Immie

Unions make companies worthless as they drive them out of business.

Immanuel
10-27-2008, 09:05 AM
Unions make companies worthless as they drive them out of business.

As long as there is a demand a business will fill the gap.

Er, as long as there is a demand and the government doesn't regulate them out of business.

Immie

red states rule
10-27-2008, 09:06 AM
As long as there is a demand a business will fill the gap.

Er, as long as there is a demand and the government doesn't regulate them out of business.

Immie

Only if the company can make a profit. With libs wanting to raise every tax possible, and make it harder for a business to make a profit - there will be less incentive for anyone to grow a business; let alone start one

Immanuel
10-27-2008, 09:10 AM
Only if the company can make a profit. With libs wanting to raise every tax possible, and make it harder for a business to make a profit - there will be less incentive for anyone to grow a business; let alone start one

Like I said, as long as there is a demand there will be a business out there supplying that demand. Prices will flucuate to find that "happy medium" but as long as we continue to demand (gas, fast food, luxury items, what have you) there will be a company out there that will provide our needs. And, even if the government regulates them out of business then there will be a black market provider that will fill the bill ie drugs.

Immie

darin
10-27-2008, 09:36 AM
Unions are fine - or would be - if it weren't MANDATORY for some to join. Work/Labor unions are generally useless, and have out-lived their purpose.

red states rule
10-27-2008, 09:44 AM
Unions are fine - or would be - if it weren't MANDATORY for some to join. Work/Labor unions are generally useless, and have out-lived their purpose.

Try not joining a union, and you will be approached by the union thugs to get you to change your mind

hjmick
10-27-2008, 09:53 AM
Try not joining a union, and you will be approached by the union thugs to get you to change your mind

Especially when they finally have the power to do away with the secret ballot aspect of voting for unionization.

red states rule
10-27-2008, 09:56 AM
Especially when they finally have the power to do away with the secret ballot aspect of voting for unionization.

Back in the 80's I took a job at a factory that made Fedders a/c's. You HAD to join the union. No option

Well after one year, the union hacks came around and told us the new contract was great. We got a 50 cent per hour raise, and the no strike clause in the last contract was done away with

Well the contract was approved, and 1 week later 35 of us were laid off to cover the additional cost to the company

The factory went out of business about 10 years ago. What a shocker

Classact
10-27-2008, 10:20 AM
I judge unions by the thriving American auto makers and see unionized America in the same light. The government will have to carry the union promises to assure the bartered pensions will be there in case the union puts the employers out of business by being too greedy.

My key point is that we have trillions of dollars coming due right now with baby boombers getting ready to retire and if suddenly every good and service is inflated then... not only has the government already spent the SS/Medicare (it's not some place in a savings account) the unfunded liability with this additional inflation would result in a larger outlay of taxes than the federal government now spends on everything else. That would mean no matter how great a union you have your tax will tripple and government services will drastically disapear.

red states rule
10-27-2008, 10:25 AM
I judge unions by the thriving American auto makers and see unionized America in the same light. The government will have to carry the union promises to assure the bartered pensions will be there in case the union puts the employers out of business by being too greedy.

My key point is that we have trillions of dollars coming due right now with baby boombers getting ready to retire and if suddenly every good and service is inflated then... not only has the government already spent the SS/Medicare (it's not some place in a savings account) the unfunded liability with this additional inflation would result in a larger outlay of taxes than the federal government now spends on everything else. That would mean no matter how great a union you have your tax will tripple and government services will drastically disapear.

Look at the growth of the US economy over the last 20 years as union memebrship has dropped over the same time frame

Union memebership is about 8% of the workforce - mostly government workers.

The US government would have to deposit about $9 trillion to cover just SS - now Dems want to take over our 401K's and convert them into "government savings accounts"

Go figure