PDA

View Full Version : A Psychologist's Take On Sarah Palin And Rightwing Paranoia

Psychoblues
10-29-2008, 03:29 PM
Really interesting piece!!!!!!!!!!!! Maybe you can find yourself in this just a bit, but I hope not!!!!!!!!!!

http://drx.typepad.com/psychotherapyblog/2008/10/updatei-see-that-george-packer-also-discusses-the-distinctly-paranoid-atmosphere-on-the-right-in-a-new-yorker-piece-it-remi.html

Even before I read the Packer piece, I had intended to comment more on the rapid escalation of right-wing political paranoia with its growing list of conspiracy theories, calls for post-election riots, civil war and calls, even, for the dissolution of the United States. Ironically, as these supposedly pro-American extremists fan group paranoia and advocate violent overturning of the collective will of the American people, the mindset they are cultivating looks increasingly similar to the mindset of Islamic terrorists.

I'm reminded that as the sprawling debacle in Iraq unfolded, pundits both on the left and the right called President Bush's assumption that all human beings yearn for freedom and democracy 'naive.' Given some of the things we're hearing lately, it is clear that many Americans on the right do not want and cannot handle life in a democracy. They reject the notion of a government elected by the people, insisting, instead, on the collective purification of American politics and society. But since their real 'purity' problem—the sense of inner impurity—never fully abates, the paranoid net widens, growing more insistent and extreme.

It is no accident that this political paranoia festers among right-wing, fundamentalist Christians who place a heavy emphasis on eschatology. These Christians tend to conflate spiritual sanctification with political purification. Personal salvation is embedded within the larger narrative of collective sanctification that culminates in the final judgment when all evil is destroyed, once and for all. But the self-designated elect never feel quite sure, deep down, about the progress of their own sanctification and the state of their own salvation. So, they purify themselves by projecting and attacking evil as an external phenomenon. The eschatological narrative supplies the manifest rationale for the projection—the human collective must and will be sanctified in the fulfillment of scripture.

This is nothing new, of course. It's the stuff of witch hunts. And it is easy to see why Sarah Palin, a fundamentalist Christian, is such an important political player in the fundamentalist mind. She is part of a paranoid, eschatologically-driven view of American politics. And she has been more than willing to play the manipulative Abigail Williams to Salem, fanning the fires of mob paranoia.

More: http://drx.typepad.com/psychotherapyblog/2008/10/updatei-see-that-george-packer-also-discusses-the-distinctly-paranoid-atmosphere-on-the-right-in-a-new-yorker-piece-it-remi.html

It's a psycho piece for sure, a professional psycho piece with all the credibility that professionals deserve!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:salute::cheers2::clap::laugh2::cheers2::salute:

Yurt
10-29-2008, 03:36 PM
http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q105/labelwhores_photos/gaythread2.jpg

Psychoblues
10-29-2008, 03:41 PM
You neither followed the link or even read the post,yuk. Just who are you trying to kid?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??! Are those fantasies still overwhelming you?!?!?!??!?!??!??!

namvet
10-29-2008, 03:44 PM
psychotherapy hmmmm

Psychoblues
10-29-2008, 03:49 PM
It beats the hell out of running around with my national service as my handle

psychotherapy hmmmm

or posting progress reports on my inability to give a damn.

How about a beer, cowgirl?!?!?!?!?!?!?!???!

Little-Acorn
10-29-2008, 03:57 PM
It beats the hell out of running around with my national service as my handle

Actually, it doesn't. Not even close. :slap:

Psychoblues
10-29-2008, 05:06 PM
Wuzza matta, lil' one?!?!?!?!??!??!

Actually, it doesn't. Not even close. :slap:

Somebody touch a nerve?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

theHawk
10-29-2008, 05:50 PM
Gee, more nonesense from psychobabble....

Psychoblues
10-29-2008, 06:49 PM
How about the article, dumbo.

Gee, more nonesense from psychobabble....

psychobabble didn't write the article. What do you think about the article or is it your pupose to slam that psychobabble, as you call him, guy? Are you certain that you're qualified or competent to dispute the findings or are you just running your ignorant mouth? The article is worth attention and consideration. What is your consideration?

How about another pill, huk?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

crin63
10-29-2008, 06:50 PM
Really interesting piece!!!!!!!!!!!! Maybe you can find yourself in this just a bit, but I hope not!!!!!!!!!!

Even before I read the Packer piece, I had intended to comment more on the rapid escalation of right-wing political paranoia with its growing list of conspiracy theories, calls for post-election riots, civil war and calls, even, for the dissolution of the United States. Ironically, as these supposedly pro-American extremists fan group paranoia and advocate violent overturning of the collective will of the American people, the mindset they are cultivating looks increasingly similar to the mindset of Islamic terrorists.

I'm reminded that as the sprawling debacle in Iraq unfolded, pundits both on the left and the right called President Bush's assumption that all human beings yearn for freedom and democracy 'naive.' Given some of the things we're hearing lately, it is clear that many Americans on the right do not want and cannot handle life in a democracy. They reject the notion of a government elected by the people, insisting, instead, on the collective purification of American politics and society. But since their real 'purity' problem—the sense of inner impurity—never fully abates, the paranoid net widens, growing more insistent and extreme.

It is no accident that this political paranoia festers among right-wing, fundamentalist Christians who place a heavy emphasis on eschatology. These Christians tend to conflate spiritual sanctification with political purification. Personal salvation is embedded within the larger narrative of collective sanctification that culminates in the final judgment when all evil is destroyed, once and for all. But the self-designated elect never feel quite sure, deep down, about the progress of their own sanctification and the state of their own salvation. So, they purify themselves by projecting and attacking evil as an external phenomenon. The eschatological narrative supplies the manifest rationale for the projection—the human collective must and will be sanctified in the fulfillment of scripture.

This is nothing new, of course. It's the stuff of witch hunts. And it is easy to see why Sarah Palin, a fundamentalist Christian, is such an important political player in the fundamentalist mind. She is part of a paranoid, eschatologically-driven view of American politics. And she has been more than willing to play the manipulative Abigail Williams to Salem, fanning the fires of mob paranoia.

It's a psycho piece for sure, a professional psycho piece with all the credibility that professionals deserve!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This guys just another Liberal hack and I give him all the credit he deserves, which is zero.

He's right that I don't like mob rule. I just want to live my life by the rights guaranteed to me by the Constitution. But that's impossible because Libs just cant stand for me to be free and happy, they have screw with my rights to try and make me as well as everyone else as miserable as them.

Psychoblues
10-29-2008, 07:05 PM
Libs want nothing more than for you to be free and happy, crin.

This guys just another Liberal hack and I give him all the credit he deserves, which is zero.

He's right that I don't like mob rule. I just want to live my life by the rights guaranteed to me by the Constitution. But that's impossible because Libs just cant stand for me to be free and happy, they have screw with my rights to try and make me as well as everyone else as miserable as them.

Maybe you're listening to too much Rush, FauxNews and the other reichwing fearmongers that wish to usurp your inner fears for political gain. Did you even read the damned article?!?!?!?!?!??!!??!?!?!?!?!?!??!

Abbey Marie
10-29-2008, 07:30 PM
This from the party of "9-11 was an inside job" paranoia? Someone give this guy a mirror, please.

diuretic
10-29-2008, 11:33 PM
Interesting piece, it answers a lot of my questions.

Psychoblues
10-29-2008, 11:37 PM
It does for me as well, doc.

Interesting piece, it answers a lot of my questions.

The piece may be slanted but it is certainly not ignorantly composed like some of these obviously ignorant responses.

Can I get you a Foster's?