PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Patent an Idea?

darin
10-29-2008, 03:31 PM
I've got a couple 'good ideas' I'd like to pursue. Anyone have any experience? Yurt?Abbey? You guys aren't/weren't patent attorneys I'd guess :(

:)

Mr. P
10-29-2008, 03:40 PM
I've got a couple 'good ideas' I'd like to pursue. Anyone have any experience? Yurt?Abbey? You guys aren't/weren't patent attorneys I'd guess :(

:)

What idea? It's easy to patent (short term). :dev2:

Just a matter of money and submitting forms.

Yurt
10-29-2008, 05:16 PM
nope, not a patent attorney, but i have been involved with my dad's business which had patent issues/attorney's

it can be very expensive using a patent attorney...if you want general info or my experience with my dad, pm me

i studies IP law in lawschool and the patent world etc... is fascinating

10-29-2008, 06:26 PM
There are several books at the library or at the bookstore on how to patent ideas if you want to avoid the costs of a patent attorney. You don't need an attorney to do everything.

My guess is you probably have to fill out a form and pay a filing fee.

Abbey Marie
10-29-2008, 07:14 PM
Sorry, no can help there.

Yurt
10-29-2008, 07:39 PM
There are several books at the library or at the bookstore on how to patent ideas if you want to avoid the costs of a patent attorney. You don't need an attorney to do everything.

My guess is you probably have to fill out a form and pay a filing fee.

you don't need an attorney for everything, however, from what i have seen in the patent world, these seem to be big issues:

think of every concieveable use for that patent, patent attorneys or attorneys with specific knowledge in that field who work for a big firm get paid big bucks for that and that is almost always the issue in later lawsuits, so if you want to do one without a patent attorney, you should probably want to think BIG...maybe even think about other countries

edit: patent attorneys

crin63
10-29-2008, 08:13 PM
I'm going to try LegalZoom for my products. I have 1 product in production right now but I haven't done anything patent wise yet. I will get the 1st 1000 pieces next week. I should have my website up next week.

http://www.legalzoom.com/trademarks-patents-copyrights/patent-overview.html

Said1
11-03-2008, 01:12 PM
I now work for a patent and trademark firm. It's a lengthy and expensive process, for good reason. The patent agents are highly qualified experts in their field, often able to translate technical documents into different languages along with examining your designs and stuff.