PDA

View Full Version : Rush is ripping apart the little Marxist infomercial..

stephanie
10-30-2008, 11:15 AM
should listen..:laugh2:

stephanie
10-30-2008, 11:22 AM
he said it was the most depressing view of the United States that anyone could paint of it..

the little Marxist see us as failures, not as a country who can do any good..

Unless of course if we elect him..then he will save us from ourselves..

hjmick
10-30-2008, 11:30 AM
I can't listen to Rush. No one is stopping me and I have access, I just don't like the man. That being said...

The AP did a fine job of fact checking some of the statements Obama made last night as well. Having watched it myself, I must say that there was nothing new or revealing, and after reading the AP piece I have to say it was what he didn't say that resonates.

Obama's prime-time ad skips over budget realities
Oct 29 09:47 PM US/Eastern
By CALVIN WOODWARD
Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON (AP) - Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama was less than upfront in his half-hour commercial Wednesday night about the costs of his programs and the crushing budget pressures he would face in office.

Obama's assertion that "I've offered spending cuts above and beyond" the expense of his promises is accepted only by his partisans. His vow to save money by "eliminating programs that don't work" masks his failure throughout the campaign to specify what those programs are—beyond the withdrawal of troops from Iraq.

A sampling of what voters heard in the ad, and what he didn't tell them:

THE SPIN: "That's why my health care plan includes improving information technology, requires coverage for preventive care and pre-existing conditions and lowers health care costs for the typical family by $2,500 a year."

THE FACTS: His plan does not lower premiums by $2,500, or any set amount. Obama hopes that by spending $50 billion over five years on electronic medical records and by improving access to proven disease management programs, among other steps, consumers will end up saving money. He uses an optimistic analysis to suggest cost reductions in national health care spending could amount to the equivalent of $2,500 for a family of four. Many economists are skeptical those savings can be achieved, but even if they are, it's not a certainty that every dollar would be passed on to consumers in the form of lower premiums.

THE SPIN: "I've offered spending cuts above and beyond their cost."

THE FACTS: Independent analysts say both Obama and Republican John McCain would deepen the deficit. The nonpartisan Committee for a Responsible Federal Budget estimates Obama's policy proposals would add a net $428 billion to the deficit over four years—and that analysis accepts the savings he claims from spending cuts. The nonpartisan Tax Policy Center, whose other findings have been quoted approvingly by the Obama campaign, says: "Both John McCain and Barack Obama have proposed tax plans that would substantially increase the national debt over the next 10 years." The analysis goes on to say: "Neither candidate's plan would significantly increase economic growth unless offset by spending cuts or tax increases that the campaigns have not specified."

THE SPIN: "Here's what I'll do. Cut taxes for every working family making less than $200,000 a year. Give businesses a tax credit for every new employee that they hire right here in the U.S. over the next two years and eliminate tax breaks for companies that ship jobs overseas. Help homeowners who are making a good faith effort to pay their mortgages, by freezing foreclosures for 90 days. And just like after 9-11, we'll provide low-cost loans to help small businesses pay their workers and keep their doors open."

THE FACTS: His proposals—the tax cuts, the low-cost loans, the $15 billion a year he promises for alternative energy, and more—cost money, and the country could be facing a record $1 trillion deficit next year. Indeed, Obama recently acknowledged—although not in his commercial—that: "The next president will have to scale back his agenda and some of his proposals."

THE SPIN: "I also believe every American has a right to affordable health care."

THE FACTS: That belief should not be confused with a guarantee of health coverage for all. He makes no such promise. Obama hinted as much in the ad when he said about the problem of the uninsured: "I want to start doing something about it." He would mandate coverage for children but not adults. His program is aimed at making insurance more affordable by offering the choice of government-subsidized coverage similar to that in a plan for federal employees and other steps, including requiring larger employers to share costs of insuring workers.

THE SPIN: "We are currently spending $10 billion a month in Iraq, when they have a $79 billion surplus. It seems to me that if we're going to be strong at home as well as strong abroad that we've got to look at bringing that war to a close." These lines in the ad were taken from a debate with McCain.

THE FACTS: Obama was once and very often definitive about getting combat troops out in 16 months (At times during the primaries, he promised to do so within a year). More recently, without backing away explicitly from the 16-month withdrawal pledge, he has talked of the need for flexibility. In the primaries, it would have been a jarring departure for him to have said merely that "we've got to look at" ending the war. As for Iraq's surplus, it's true that Iraq could end up with a surplus that large, but that hasn't happened yet.

Source (http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/F/FACT_CHECK_OBAMA_AD?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT)

stephanie
10-30-2008, 11:36 AM
I can't believe that came from fact check..they are so in the bag for the little Marxist..

and you noticed the amount for people who are rich has now went down to $200,000, from $250,00 just last week.....

THE SPIN: "Here's what I'll do. Cut taxes for every working family making less than $200,000 a year. :coffee:

hjmick
10-30-2008, 11:42 AM
I can't believe that came from fact check..they are so in the bag for the little Marxist..

and you noticed the amount for people who are rich has now went down to $200,000, from $250,00 just last week.....
:coffee:

I'm not sure it came from Fact Check, I think AP is just calling the link "Fact Check," either way, that anyone has taken the time to check the facts is commendable. Too late, but commendable nonetheless.

As for what constitutes rich, Biden has been quoted as saying anyone making more than $150,000 will see tax increases. These two need to get on the same page.

stephanie
10-30-2008, 11:50 AM
Rush said the Democrat party has to show the United States as depressing, like we are all headed for the soup lines...
they also have to show us to be selfish, greedy, uncaring...

and that the little Marxist infomercial did just that..

that we won't be better until we elect them..

Little-Acorn
10-30-2008, 11:51 AM
Limbaugh is overdoing it a little. Yes, nothing particularly inpsiring, but I can think of lots of worse things Obama could have said.

What that campaign ad was, was stock modern liberalism. It was a long rundown of the typical problems that EVERYONE goes through. Having to make ends meet. Not being able to buy expensive, fancy food whenever you want. Having to watch the budget. Worrying about health care. Getting laid off. Obama did carefully cut out any of the good things that happen in life. But the bad things he listed, are things we have to handle routinely. That's LIFE. It has never come with any guarantees.

And the classic modern liberalism: Throughout the litany of problems, trials, and tribulations, was the theme that GOVERNMENT now had to step in and take care of it. The infomercial was rife with it, and indeed it was the entire theme. Government will help. Government will do something. Vote for me and I, using the power of government, will give you all kinds of goodies.

No mention of the idea that maybe government could help best by getting out of the way: repealing taxes and regulations so that business could hire more, pay more people, produce more stuff for the same costs now that they didn't have to piss money away on new taxes, wheelchair ramps, armies of accountatnts to comply with paperwork demands, etc.

The infomercial was no more depressing than modern liberalism normally is. It was just the standard pitch for big government, with the usual claims that government will somehow cure the ordinary problems and trials of life.... while carefully not going into details on what regulations and penalties govt will have to impose to do that.

hjmick
10-30-2008, 11:54 AM
Here is a link to a very good opinion piece in the WSJ, give it a read, I may start a thread about it in a little while. Unless someone beats me to the task.

Obama and the Politics of Crowds (http://online.wsj.com/article/SB122533157015082889.html)

Kathianne
10-30-2008, 11:58 AM
Here is a link to a very good opinion piece in the WSJ, give it a read, I may start a thread about it in a little while. Unless someone beats me to the task.

Obama and the Politics of Crowds (http://online.wsj.com/article/SB122533157015082889.html)

I'll not steal it, but this jumped out at me:

...Daniel Patrick Moynihan, the late Democratic senator from New York, once set the difference between American capitalism and the older European version by observing that America was the party of liberty, whereas Europe was the party of equality. Just in the nick of time for the Obama candidacy, the American faith in liberty began to crack. The preachers of America's decline in the global pecking order had added to the panic. Our best days were behind us, the declinists prophesied. The sun was setting on our imperium, and rising in other lands....

stephanie
10-30-2008, 12:09 PM
he said the infomercial was INSULTING..

Little-Acorn
10-30-2008, 12:21 PM
he said the infomercial was INSULTING..

Well, no surprise there. Liberalism's very nature is insulting. You can't handle it. You can't make it without help. Your fellow man is too selfish to help you. So, government will now step in and take over the task of "giving" you the help you MUST have to survive.

Insulting? Of course. True? Almost never.