PDA

View Full Version : For Namvet On Voting

Kathianne
10-30-2008, 12:10 PM
I'm all for paper, seems others are getting it:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/10/29/AR2008102904105_pf.html

Paper Ballot Has Md.'s, Va.'s Vote
2 States Plan to Ditch Electronic Machines, Part of a Rapid National Reversal
By Christian Davenport
Washington Post Staff Writer
Thursday, October 30, 2008; B01

Goodbye, electronic voting. Farewell, fancy touch screen. Maryland and Virginia are going old school after Tuesday's election.

Maryland will scrap its $65 million electronic system and go back to paper ballots in time for the 2010 midterm elections -- and will still be paying for the abandoned system until 2014. In Virginia, localities are moving to paper after the General Assembly voted last year to phase out electronic voting machines as they wear out.

It was just a few years ago that electronic voting machines were heralded as a computerized panacea to the hanging chad, a state-of-the-art system immune to the kinds of hijinks and confusion that some say make paper ballots vulnerable. But now, after concern that the electronic voting machines could crash or be hacked, the two states are swinging away from the systems, saying paper ballots filled out by hand are more reliable, especially in a recount.

The trend reflects a national movement away from electronic voting machines. About a third of all voters will use them Tuesday, down from a peak of almost 40 percent in 2006, according to Election Data Services, a Manassas-based consulting firm specializing in election administration. Every jurisdiction that has changed election systems since 2006 has gone to paper ballots read by optical scan machines, said Kimball Brace, the firm's president. And for the first time in the country's history, fewer jurisdictions will be using electronic machines than in the previous election, he said....

Abbey Marie
10-30-2008, 12:15 PM
In 2004, voting machines in Philly were rolled out on Election day morning, with Kerry votes somehow already registered on them. Since then, I am all for paper.

Immanuel
10-30-2008, 12:26 PM
I would not have a problem with touch screen voting machines if they prepared a paper trail with a copy going to both the voter and staying at the precinct. I know enough about computers to know that the data could be manipulated in the program to attain someone's sinister desires.

Immie

namvet
10-30-2008, 01:21 PM
I'm all for paper, seems others are getting it:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/10/29/AR2008102904105_pf.html

thanks Kathianne
my state has used paper and photo ID as long as I can remember. while no sytem is perfect, the electronic systems have failed. not everyone knows how to use it. danger of entering wrong info. or not entering it at all. and who's in charge of the software???? do they have access to change the data??? and like any PC they do have brain farts. the state the ajoins mine had electronic. what a mess. their gone and they went back to papers........

gabosaurus
10-30-2008, 02:14 PM
I don't agree with this. I have spent many long hours rigging voting machines in Orange County this week. My hard work should not go to waste!

Immanuel
10-30-2008, 02:21 PM
I don't agree with this. I have spent many long hours rigging voting machines in Orange County this week. My hard work should not go to waste!

Oh my goodness! I never expected you to say something like that. :lol:

:cheers2:

Immie

namvet
10-30-2008, 03:27 PM
I did. they taught "it" poilitics instead of reading/writing !!!!!

MtnBiker
10-30-2008, 04:20 PM

Don't worry, ACORN will still pay you.