PDA

View Full Version : Will Journalism Recover From This Election Cycle?

Kathianne
11-01-2008, 06:31 PM
I don't think so. NY Times now a junk stock and may declare bankruptcy. WaPo down 86% from last year and still falling. While the decline has been trending for years, the acceleration precedes the economic downturn, yet the management of the papers seem incapable of the linkage between their lack of reporting and their tanking numbers:

http://pajamasmedia.com/rogerlsimon/2008/11/01/obama-and-the-media-its-not-the-bias-its-the-dishonesty/

Obama and the media: it’s not the bias; it’s the dishonesty
Posted By Roger L Simon On November 1, 2008 @ 11:10 am In Presidential Election 2008, Uncategorized | 15 Comments

I am not one of those who thinks [1] unlawful donations like those from Barack Obama’s illegal alien aunt Zeituni Onyango (now being returned) constitute a a significant proportion of the candidate’s immense money pile. But what is significant is that we are learning about this - and other examples of donation malfeasance like credit card fraud - so late in the game. Add to this the LAT is still pocketing the [2] Khalidi tape, not even publishing, as yet, a transcript and we have a pattern we have all known about for some time: extreme media bias in favor of Obama. It’s even been the subject of Saturday Night Live skits.

But bias, bad as it may be, is not the real problem. Everybody has a bias. We all know that. It’s when bias creates dishonesty that the dry rot sets in. The media has been essentially dishonest in its non-investigation of Obama for what now is several years. With all their vast resources, they have given us virtually no reportage on his years at Harvard and Columbia and he is about to become President of the United States.

And this dishonesty, clearly perceived by the public even as it will likely elect Obama, is what accounts for a great deal of the economic woes of the mainstream media today. That same public know the NYT, LAT and WaPo are no longer reliable sources. The Washinton Post’s — clearly the best of the three - earnings plummeting [3] 86% in the third quarter of this year is no longer a surprise, nor is it entirely related to the overall economic meltdown.

It will be interesting to see if there is a shift in their coverage in the aftermath of the election. My guess is that it will take some time for that ship to right itself, if it ever does. The embarrassment factor would be too great - even if it would satisfy some of their shareholders.

11-01-2008, 06:36 PM
If Obama wins, we won't have a private media anymore. They will become state sponsored media. They are just "too big" to let fail.

Mark my words.

crin63
11-01-2008, 06:52 PM
If Obama wins, we won't have a private media anymore. They will become state sponsored media. They are just "too big" to let fail.

Mark my words.

My thoughts as well.

We need National Public News right. They will be rewarded for their part in changing America.

Gaffer
11-01-2008, 08:21 PM
My thoughts as well.

We need National Public News right. They will be rewarded for their part in changing America.

I agree with both of you. They will be paid off for their loyalty. I haven't trusted the media for 40 years. I won't start now. I won't ever really trust them.

Binky
11-02-2008, 08:31 AM
Oh, I trust them alright. I trust them to spread around the bullpucky that the pols love to tout. I trust them to tell a one sided story. And I trust them to lie or omit the facts. That's the media.

krisy
11-02-2008, 09:00 AM
Well,one would think they'd be learning their lesson at this point. But no,they keep insisting on rooting for their guy in their own special way,masking it as real news coverage.

They are pathetic and pitiful, and have apparently forgotten everything their liberal professors at college taught them about bias. I'm sure they are all sitting around wondering....."what are we doing wrong?" Yes,I believe they are THAT stupid.

They are paying the price for not being fair. I would highly recomend they read "Bias" by Bernard Goldberg. That should help em along:coffee:

11-02-2008, 10:06 AM
Well,one would think they'd be learning their lesson at this point. But no,they keep insisting on rooting for their guy in their own special way,masking it as real news coverage.

They are pathetic and pitiful, and have apparently forgotten everything their liberal professors at college taught them about bias. I'm sure they are all sitting around wondering....."what are we doing wrong?" Yes,I believe they are THAT stupid.

They are paying the price for not being fair. I would highly recomend they read "Bias" by Bernard Goldberg. That should help em along:coffee:

You are wrong. They arent asking "What are we doing wrong?"

They are asking "Why are the people so stupid and not just accepting what is best for them?"

krisy
11-02-2008, 10:14 AM
You are wrong. They arent asking "What are we doing wrong?"

They are asking "Why are the people so stupid and not just accepting what is best for them?"

You got me....that does sound far more along the lines of what the arrogant powers that be would be thinking.

The thing is....they are soooooo blatent about their bias.

Psychoblues
11-03-2008, 02:55 AM
Post gwb, Micheal Powell, the present attitude of the FCC and the stated opinions of all general election Presidential candidates the media and journalists in general are bound to improve in the next 4 years. Americans are very sick of agenda driven, corporate sponsored, numbers originated and ignorant analyses of idiots that pretend to be "fair and balanced" and doing so on airways and other publically owned media avenues that offer nothing other than lies, innuendo and lack of complete information from which to formulate opinions. If overall respect of present day American journalism is to survive there must be reform and both/all candidates promise to deliver on that entity of communication.

:salute::beer::clap::laugh2::beer::salute:

Sitarro
11-03-2008, 05:31 AM
Post gwb, Micheal Powell, the present attitude of the FCC and the stated opinions of all general election Presidential candidates the media and journalists in general are bound to improve in the next 4 years. Americans are very sick of agenda driven, corporate sponsored, numbers originated and ignorant analyses of idiots that pretend to be "fair and balanced" and doing so on airways and other publically owned media avenues that offer nothing other than lies, innuendo and lack of complete information from which to formulate opinions. If overall respect of present day American journalism is to survive there must be reform and both/all candidates promise to deliver on that entity of communication.

You really don't know anything do you?

Psychoblues
11-03-2008, 06:16 AM
I never for a moment thought that you could undersatnd, zero.

You really don't know anything do you?

And, obviously, you don't, can't or at least won't. Pitiful.

:salute::beer::clap::laugh2::beer::salute:

Sitarro
11-03-2008, 07:36 AM
I never for a moment thought that you could undersatnd, zero.

And, obviously, you don't, can't or at least won't. Pitiful.

I understand completely, you are against free speech and you want governmental controls on radio and probably television......... how about the internet, short wave radio? You are nothing but a drunk Marxist, you know you will get stuck drinking vodka like all good Russian Commies.