PDA

View Full Version : Update: Little Evidence of Surge in Youth Vote

stephanie
11-01-2008, 11:07 PM
you mean all them adoring youngsters fainting at his sermons was for nothing..:laugh2:

Obama campaign has contacted about one in three 18- to 29-year-oldsUSA Demographics Election 2008 Elections Government and Politics Americas Northern America by Frank Newport, Jeffrey M. Jones, and Lydia Saad
PRINCETON, NJ -- Gallup polling in October finds little evidence of a surge in young voter turnout beyond what it was in 2004. While young voter registration may be up slightly over 2004, the reported level of interest in the election and intention to vote among those under 30 are no higher than they were that year.

What's more, 18- to 29-year-olds continue to lag behind Americans aged 30 and older on these important turnout indicators.

As a result, 18- to 29-year-olds now constitute 12% of Gallup's traditional likely voter sample, basically the same as the estimate in the final 2004 pre-election poll (13%). Gallup's expanded likely voter model, which defines likely voters differently (on the basis of current voting intentions only), estimates a slightly higher proportion of young voters in the electorate (14%). However, even if the share of the youth vote were adjusted upward, doing so has little or no impact on the overall Obama-McCain horse-race numbers using either likely voter model.

It is possible that the 18- to 29-year-old share of the likely voter electorate will grow in the final days of the election. Although interest in the election and voting intentions usually increase as Election Day grows nearer, Gallup did not observe much of an increase from mid- to late October 2004, because interest was already at high levels (as it is this year).

read the rest..
http://www.gallup.com/poll/111685/Update-Little-Evidence-Surge-Youth-Vote.aspx

retiredman
11-01-2008, 11:11 PM
I guess this must mean that McCain will kick ass on Tuesday, eh?

11-01-2008, 11:25 PM
I guess this must mean that McCain will kick ass on Tuesday, eh?

No, it just means relying on the youth and insulting the Elderly is a bad strategy.

Kathianne
11-01-2008, 11:26 PM
No, it just means relying on the youth and insulting the Elderly is a bad strategy.
Oh the elderly vote is a big one! Youth, well they don't like standing in lines. Seriously.

stephanie
11-01-2008, 11:33 PM
Us older conservative folks keep messing up the Democrats wet dreams...:dance:

LiberalNation
11-01-2008, 11:35 PM
Not suprised. Most have better things to do and it's a hassal. Not fun like attending a rally.

I'm driving all the way home from louisville to vote. Monday night, staying home all day tue. then driving back to school really early wen.

We don't have early voting in kentucky and getting them to send you an absentee balot is more hassal than driving.

Kathianne
11-01-2008, 11:35 PM
Us older conservative folks keep messing up the Democrats wet dreams...:dance:

Well I don't think we qualify as 'elderly', but we certainly do vote!

The largest % of registered and voting though is the over 75.

http://www.census.gov/population/socdemo/voting/cps2006/tab02-1.xls

11-01-2008, 11:44 PM
Not suprised. Most have better things to do and it's a hassal. Not fun like attending a rally.

I'm driving all the way home from louisville to vote. Monday night, staying home all day tue. then driving back to school really early wen.

We don't have early voting in kentucky and getting them to send you an absentee balot is more hassal than driving.

What exactly is better than determining your future? I never understood this. ive voted in every election except maybe one since i was 18. including the primaries.

LiberalNation
11-01-2008, 11:48 PM
What exactly is better than determining your future?
Considering your one vote hardly matters in the big scheme of things I don't think it qualfies has a determining your future action.

I'll vote for Obama but all of Kentucky will go McCain anyway. My vote wont matter/change that or determine my future.

stephanie
11-01-2008, 11:53 PM
Considering your one vote hardly matters in the big scheme of things I don't think it qualfies has a determining your future action.

I'll vote for Obama but all of Kentucky will go McCain anyway. My vote wont matter/change that or determine my future.

but you just never know, do you...there could be that one time..

voting is our civic duty and one we should take seriously..keep up the good job...for someone your age to even vote is a good thing..

even though you voted for the wrong person...:slap::laugh2: