PDA

View Full Version : The Chicago Angle: Pure Selfishness

Kathianne
11-02-2008, 02:56 AM
We need to have Fitzgerald, there is little likelihood if Obama wins:

Fitzgerald's future tied to election results too

John Kass

4:28 PM CDT, November 1, 2008

Despite the national media's childlike fantasy that Illinois is something like Camelot—where the knights rise to power without staining their shining armor—we're still neck deep in corruption and sleazy pay-to-play politics.

The Chicago Outfit, though wounded, still reaches out to friendly pols. The bipartisan Illinois Combine that runs things isn't finished, though a Republican boss was indicted last week. The Democratic half of the Combine, Chicago's Daley machine, is now poised to leverage the awesome power of the White House. And what the machine wants is control of the federal hammer in its backyard.

Readers keep asking me the same question: Will the next president keep Patrick Fitzgerald as the U.S. attorney in Chicago?

I really can't say. What are political promises worth from politicians with debts to pay?

Corruption the Chicago Way doesn't only waste money and burden taxpayers. This isn't only about isolated instances of graft and amusing, earthy rapscallions. That is a cartoon. The reality is that Illinois political corruption is an infection that spreads. The people either are numbed and deny it, or they feel pressured to suck up to their overlords. That's not American. That's positively Medieval.

That's how important this is. Both John McCain and Barack Obama have promised to keep Fitzgerald here....

...done more in a few years than could have been imagined.

A corrupt former Republican governor in prison. A Democratic governor with a creeping case of feditis that appears to be politically terminal. City Hall patronage bosses convicted. And the leaders of the Chicago mob are scheduled for sentencing in December, which means the Outfit is in no mood to play the enforcer for their favored politicians...

...Obama, meanwhile, talks reform. But he's backed by the Chicago machine. And Obama's own longtime friend and real estate fairy, Tony Rezko, has been convicted of corruption and is believed to be preparing to talk to the feds.

Mayoral brother Bill Daley has been rumored for a Cabinet post in an Obama administration, and is expected to be on the transition team if Obama is elected. Bill Daley will look to protect his brother first. Although Bill is a thoughtful politician, somehow I just don't see the phrase "Barack, we've gotta keep Pat Fitzgerald" on Billy's lips in the personnel meetings.

Another Chicago connection, U.S. Rep. Rahm Emanuel (D-Tomczak), is being rumored as a possible White House chief of staff. Emanuel would also look first to protect the mayor. Washington Beltway reporters won't tell you this, because they must figure that what happens in Chicago stays in Chicago, but a few years ago, Emanuel was elected with the help of a massive patronage army of stooges on the City Hall payroll who pounded the precincts.

The fellow who directed this army for Emanuel is the corrupt former city water boss Donald Tomczak. He now sits in federal prison in Duluth, Minn., while Emanuel prepares to reform us all. It was Fitzgerald's office that put Tomczak away...

Gaffer
11-02-2008, 08:39 AM
More coattail stuff. More corrupt politicians out of chicago going to washington. mfm will be proud. The nation will suffer.

Binky
11-02-2008, 08:53 AM
More coattail stuff. More corrupt politicians out of chicago going to washington. mfm will be proud. The nation will suffer.

Well, Chicago is founded on corruption. Look back at all the mobsters that came from there during the 1920's. It shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone that politicians from there are more apt to be severely tainted than from other parts of the country. I realize that corruption is everywhere these days, but it seems to have been prevelant in Chicago. Chicago is a cess pool filled with corrupted individuals.

Kathianne
11-02-2008, 09:05 AM
Well, Chicago is founded on corruption. Look back at all the mobsters that came from there during the 1920's. It shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone that politicians from there are more apt to be severely tainted than from other parts of the country. I realize that corruption is everywhere these days, but it seems to have been prevelant in Chicago. Chicago is a cess pool filled with corrupted individuals.

actually pretty nice people. Even our corrupt politicians are quite funny, well as long as one watches their wallets. The mob guys are not bad neighbors, but wouldn't want to be in the wrong place at the wrong time, which means not in the neighborhood. ;)

If Obama gets in, my guess is Fitzgerald will be gone, as the article explained. No jail for Blogo, Daley's closest, perhaps Daley himself.

Binky
11-02-2008, 09:24 AM
actually pretty nice people. Even our corrupt politicians are quite funny, well as long as one watches their wallets. The mob guys are not bad neighbors, but wouldn't want to be in the wrong place at the wrong time, which means not in the neighborhood. ;)

If Obama gets in, my guess is Fitzgerald will be gone, as the article explained. No jail for Blogo, Daley's closest, perhaps Daley himself.

LOL! LOL! Yeah, hang tight to your wallets. Maybe they aren't bad neighbors, but I think I'd rather not get too close to them, and take a chance of coming up missing or with my head lopped off. LOL!