PDA

View Full Version : Early Voting

Kathianne
11-02-2008, 03:28 AM
I really don't like it, it seems wrong and more open to abuse. Same with absentee voting on such a large scale. I wouldn't have a problem with either if for some sort of hardship, but how did they grow into what we're seeing this year?

In actuality we're getting 'exit polling' days before the election, unreliable it is too. They are throwing around percentages when they haven't a clue to what will be the vote counts in any given locale.

Gaffer
11-02-2008, 08:32 AM
Early voting should only be for those who will not be able to vote on Tuesday because situations that take them away from their voting areas that day. Not for convenience and to keep the lines down. It needs to be handled as a purely absentee ballot. I see this as just more voting fraud.

LiberalNation
11-02-2008, 10:35 AM
there are too many people and two few polling places on election day. Early voting simply tries to help resolve this and give everyone a chance to vote. If you work the short time the polls are open you are screwed. Not everyone has 5 hours to wait in line.

Kathianne
11-02-2008, 10:42 AM
there are too many people and two few polling places on election day. Early voting simply tries to help resolve this and give everyone a chance to vote. If you work the short time the polls are open you are screwed. Not everyone has 5 hours to wait in line.

So open more polling places.

Mr. P
11-02-2008, 10:56 AM
So open more polling places.

That's a good start I guess but some folks would still not be free to get to the poll. Two million of the five million registered voters have voted here in Ga in the last few weeks. That's a lot of folks. The polls being open on one day for 12 hrs is just not enough. I wouldn't mind seeing Saturday & Sunday as voting day. Or better yet over the internet. The security does exist to make that possible.

Kathianne
11-02-2008, 11:00 AM
That's a good start I guess but some folks would still not be free to get to the poll. Two million of the five million registered voters have voted here in Ga in the last few weeks. That's a lot of folks. The polls being open on one day for 12 hrs is just not enough. I wouldn't mind seeing Saturday & Sunday as voting day. Or better yet over the internet. The security does exist to make that possible.

It used to be all the schools were polling places. The problem was lack of voting, now that so many want to, open them up. I don't think multi-day is good for the process, not with the 'reporting' being done. People complained about FL being called early as surpressing the vote. It's been more than days of it, not hours.

Mr. P
11-02-2008, 11:14 AM
It used to be all the schools were polling places. The problem was lack of voting, now that so many want to, open them up. I don't think multi-day is good for the process, not with the 'reporting' being done. People complained about FL being called early as surpressing the vote. It's been more than days of it, not hours.

We vote at schools here. The net would eliminate all exit polling.

Kathianne
11-02-2008, 11:40 AM
We vote at schools here. The net would eliminate all exit polling.
Internet voting? :eek: Bring back the paper ballot!

Mr. P
11-02-2008, 12:29 PM
Internet voting? :eek: Bring back the paper ballot!

Yer just so horse an buggy. :poke:

Kathianne
11-02-2008, 12:43 PM
Yer just so horse an buggy. :poke:

Hardly, as I'm creating a smartboard game for my students incorporating both vocabulary and social studies. ;)

However, I'm very anti-fraud regarding voting. We should protect it better than we are. Rather, we should insist our representatives do.

Hey, if people are infirm or out of the country, they need an alternative. But other than that, we should be about to be inconvenienced once every two years, if we care enough.

Mr. P
11-02-2008, 12:56 PM
Hardly, as I'm creating a smartboard game for my students incorporating both vocabulary and social studies. ;)

However, I'm very anti-fraud regarding voting. We should protect it better than we are. Rather, we should insist our representatives do.

Hey, if people are infirm or out of the country, they need an alternative. But other than that, we should be about to be inconvenienced once every two years, if we care enough.

It's not about inconvenience for me...it's about more folks having the opportunity to vote. The security exists to prevent most of the fraud, I think. Of course there would be some but I think it would be mush less than now.

LiberalNation
11-02-2008, 01:25 PM
some people can't afford to be inconvenienced out of a whole days wages. Many work twelve hour shifts such as nurses and can't all leave their patients hanging to vote.

Mr. P
11-02-2008, 01:44 PM
some people can't afford to be inconvenienced out of a whole days wages. Many work twelve hour shifts such as nurses and can't all leave their patients hanging to vote.

That is what absentee is about, LN.

LiberalNation
11-02-2008, 02:09 PM
they are not easy to get here. they would say go on your lunch break.

5stringJeff
11-02-2008, 07:25 PM
I'm not so sure that early voting is even constitutional:

Article II, Section 1: "The Congress may determine the Time of chusing the Electors, and the Day on which they shall give their Votes; which Day shall be the same throughout the United States."

Mr. P
11-02-2008, 07:30 PM
I'm not so sure that early voting is even constitutional:

Article II, Section 1: "The Congress may determine the Time of chusing the Electors, and the Day on which they shall give their Votes; which Day shall be the same throughout the United States."

Ya but heck..the state legislator can elect the electors..the public has no constitutional right to do so. They could vote all year..it wouldn't matter.

5stringJeff
11-02-2008, 07:33 PM
Ya but heck..the state legislator can elect the electors..the public has no constitutional right to do so. They could vote all year..it wouldn't matter.

True... but I don't think that legislature would see many returning members the next time around.

11-02-2008, 08:15 PM
True... but I don't think that legislature would see many returning members the next time around.

Yeah, I think that about alot of things, but then the electorate still continues to vote in the same idiots.