View Full Version : Stemless wine glasses

Abbey Marie
11-03-2008, 03:11 PM
http://images-p.qvc.com/is/image/h/13/h08213.001?$usmedium$

Yea or Nay?

retiredman
11-03-2008, 03:14 PM
for red wine only, if any.

one needs the stem to hold for white wine to avoid transferring body heat to the chilled wine.

darin
11-03-2008, 03:29 PM
Absolutely Abbey!

-Cp got some of those from Costco. They taste VERY well - even slightly better than the stemmed variety.

Red wines don't like "body-transfered heat" any more than Whites - so that comment is silly.

Pour reds or white into them with confidence! Don't set either on a hot plate, or cup them with both hands and you'll have no problem with the dreaded "heat transfer".

:)

gabosaurus
11-03-2008, 03:49 PM
My sister is the wine drinker in our family. She once told me that the stemless wine glasses were to avoid transferring body heat to the wine.

Sitarro
11-03-2008, 03:57 PM
How will you be able to swirl the wine and check for "legs" while looking cool and knowledgeable without the stem? Watch "Sideways" again and you will see that Paul Giamatti would never use stemless glasses.

darin
11-03-2008, 04:25 PM
I always swirl my glass on a table top anyway...so stemless = No affect on taste of the wine with the added benefit of being MUCH easier to load in the dishwasher.

:D

Interesting:

Some people think that the taste of the wine gets harmed by holding the bowl of the glass directly with the hand, so the stem keeps that body heat away from the wine.

Actually, wine glass shapes come down through history as glass replicas of ancient brass goblets. These had very large bowls, difficult to hold in one hand, so the stem made it easier to handle. As glassware improved, the look stayed the same, although much smaller.

So the real answer is that we like the way stemware looks.

Mr. P
11-03-2008, 04:37 PM
Oh heck...if yer not gonna go for a bite of etiquette and tradition just use a damn coffee cup.:poke::slap:

Gaffer
11-03-2008, 04:47 PM
Oh heck...if yer not gonna go for a bite of etiquette and tradition just use a damn coffee cup.:poke::slap:

Or drink out of the bottle. :eek:

Abbey Marie
11-03-2008, 05:49 PM
I think their main attraction is they do not tip over as easily. I have tipped over a few stems in my day. Always red, of course, and always onto someone's light-colored rug.

But they also remind me a little of my elderly Italian grandfather, drinking a cheap red out of a juice glass. :wine:

diuretic
11-03-2008, 05:50 PM
Definitely nay - I might be a bit old-fashioned but you can't beat, for aesthetics if nothing else, a wine glass with a long stem - red or white.

As for coffee cups Mr.P - real winos drink Thunderbird out of Vegemite jars :beer:

5stringJeff
11-03-2008, 05:59 PM
If you have kids in the house, no. Otherwise, I'd have to agree with diuretic - the aesthetics of stemmed glasses work for me, body heat issues notwithstanding.

Mr. P
11-03-2008, 06:05 PM
Hey, it's all about the end result anyway, to swirl it and sniff it, serve it in this or that doesn't change that..the delivery method is all fluff...:cheers2:

Immanuel
11-03-2008, 06:40 PM

Bullshit... just pass the bottle. :poke: :slap:

I ain't got cooties.

Immie

Sorry, Gaffer, I didn't read down far enough.

darin
11-03-2008, 07:45 PM
Keep in mind the glass shape can influence the taste of the swill. :)

hjmick
11-03-2008, 07:52 PM
Eh, it's all sour grapes to me. Give me a nice micro-brew any day.

5stringJeff
11-03-2008, 08:11 PM

Hear hear! :beer:

manu1959
11-03-2008, 10:04 PM
http://images-p.qvc.com/is/image/h/13/h08213.001?$usmedium$

Yea or Nay?

it is all i use.....i love them....there are different shapes and they do affect the taste....never had any body heat issue with them......but i don't have clamy sweaty palms like someone we know.....

jackass
11-04-2008, 12:16 PM

Same here! Couldnt pay me to drink that stuff... :puke3:

Abbey Marie
11-04-2008, 02:15 PM
it is all i use.....i love them....there are different shapes and they do affect the taste....never had any body heat issue with them......but i don't have clamy sweaty palms like someone we know.....

I think I just can't shake that image of my little old grandfather and his thick juice glasses of cheap red.

I am a strong believer that the shape, thickness, etc., of a glass affects the whole drinking experience. For example, I love to have my Manhattans in a shallow stemmed glass, preferably very thin. It feels sexier holding it, and tastes better. I like to see the Maraschino cherry floating around in the glass when I hold it up, too.
:wine:

In the movies, only the weirdest people, like serial killers and 40 year old virgins, have clammy palms.

manu1959
11-04-2008, 02:21 PM
I think I just can't shake that image of my little old grandfather and his thick juice glasses of cheap red.

I am a strong believer that the shape, thickness, etc., of a glass affects the whole drinking experience. For example, I love to have my Manhattans in a shallow stemmed glass, preferably very thin. It feels sexier holding it, and tastes better. I like to see the Maraschino cherry floating around in the glass when I hold it up, too.
:wine:

In the movies, only the weirdest people, like serial killers and 40 year old virgins, have clammy palms.

you should try one......i was stem pureist....no more.....the is something about holding the glass in your palms...swirling it and taking a sip that seems more in touch with the wine than holding it out at arms length and holding by the base....

Abbey Marie
11-04-2008, 02:25 PM
you should try one......i was stem pureist....no more.....the is something about holding the glass in your palms...swirling it and taking a sip that seemsmore in touch with the wine than holding it out at arms length and holding by the base....

I did try it. Isn't that the way it's done in Italy?