View Full Version : Massive Pet Food Recall

krisy
03-22-2007, 11:56 AM
Food Recall Worries Dog and Cat Owners
Thursday, March 22, 2007

By DORIE TURNER

E-MAIL STORY PRINTER FRIENDLY VERSION Story tools
sponsored by

ATLANTA — A recall of potentially deadly pet food has dog and cat owners studying their animals for even the slightest hint of illness and swamping veterinarians nationwide with calls about symptoms both real and imagined. "It's like we're on pins and needles," said Brian Paone, a 27-year-old loan auditor in Knoxville, Tenn., who scheduled a blood test with his vet after realizing both of his cats had eaten brands on the recall list.

"You kind of sit there and wonder _ it's terrible to say this _ you wonder if this is going to be your last moments with your pet. It's not pleasant."

Some of the 60 million cans and pouches of food have been blamed for kidney failure in scores of animals and killed at least 16 pets. Neither the manufacturer nor authorities have been able to determine why the pets died.

http://www.foxnews.com/wires/2007Mar22/0,4670,PetFoodFears,00.html

I hope everyone's pets are good.

Joan
03-22-2007, 01:41 PM
I do believe that's what killed my Duncan, but he died before I could get him to the vet! I hear there's a class action law suit that would probably cost at least $300 to be part of, and all you get back is what you paid for your animal, in my case $20, since I adopted him from a Rescue Group. But, no amount of money can replace Duncan himself!!

krisy
03-22-2007, 07:53 PM
I do believe that's what killed my Duncan, but he died before I could get him to the vet! I hear there's a class action law suit that would probably cost at least $300 to be part of, and all you get back is what you paid for your animal, in my case $20, since I adopted him from a Rescue Group. But, no amount of money can replace Duncan himself!!

Joan,as soon as I saw that you has replied,I thought to myself..."I wonder if that's why her cat died".

I'm so sorry. They better figure out soon what is causing this!!!
Oddly enough,one of the girls at work had a 7 year old cat that went inot kidney failure out of nowhere. They had to put it to sleep last week. It just occured to me that they fed them canned food. I'll have to ask her about it tomorrow.

shattered
03-22-2007, 09:17 PM
Mine eat Iams..but luckily, only dry food, since canned/wet foods are bad for your pets anyway...But I did panic, til I researched..

Gaffer
03-22-2007, 09:22 PM
We have only fed the dog and cat dry dog and cat food, so I guess they will be ok. Of course they both always want people food over their food. I have never seen a cat eat vegatables like this cat does. He even eats crackers and drinks tea. Also spegetti and potatoes.

krisy
03-23-2007, 11:00 AM
Mine eat Iams..but luckily, only dry food, since canned/wet foods are bad for your pets anyway...But I did panic, til I researched..

I give mine dry too. Occasionally for a treat,I buy a can of wet food and put a tablespoon or so on the dog's food. The canned supposedly isn't real good for their teeth either.

Just heard on the radio that they found that the food was contaminated with rat poison. I smell many lawsuits....justifiably.

mundame
03-23-2007, 12:44 PM
A news story said the wheat came from China, and had rat poison on it ----------- against actual rats!

Why they had to import wheat from China is an interesting question, given that Canada and the U.S. are leading world wheat exporters.

They used the wheat gluten to thicken gravy for the wet food, the article said.

IS this a good reason for people to sue? I don't know.....

jackass
03-23-2007, 02:14 PM
A news story said the wheat came from China, and had rat poison on it ----------- against actual rats!

Why they had to import wheat from China is an interesting question, given that Canada and the U.S. are leading world wheat exporters.

Because Im sure they got it cheaper...why else?

If not this reason then why else?

Birdzeye
03-23-2007, 02:56 PM

I'm so sorry for your loss.

I didn't have to worry, since I feed my birds dried parrot pellets. About half of them get flung out of their cages and onto the floor.

krisy
03-23-2007, 03:46 PM

I know people these days are lawsuit crazy,but if I lost one of my dogs I probably would consider it. At the same time,I seriously doubt this company had any idea the wheat was sprayed with rat poison. It kind seems like that isn't a good idea to do to anything consumable?!!!

krisy
04-05-2007, 08:55 PM
More pet food recalls

http://www.wlwt.com/family/11536247/detail.html

salmonella,contamination form a chemical in plastic? Pretty soon,e are just going to have to feed our dogs aand cats off the table!!

Nuc
04-05-2007, 09:02 PM
Americans and other Westerners are idiots about their mammalian pets. I've been to Sri Lanka and they basically feed the dogs leftovers and waste from the human meals. They don't spoil their animals but they seem to do well. It is a sign of the decadence of the West that the animals are given such ridiculous pampering.

As the Chinese say, "America, where children are treated like dogs, and dogs are treated like children."

They're right.

krisy
04-05-2007, 09:14 PM
I don't think it's idiotic to not want your dog or cat to be poisoned. I love my dogs and cats very much and am not ahamed. What do they care if someone wants to take GOOD care of their dog? They are the most loyal creatures on earth.

Like anyone in China should worry about what we do with our pets

Mr. P
04-05-2007, 09:20 PM
Americans and other Westerners are idiots about their mammalian pets. I've been to Sri Lanka and they basically feed the dogs leftovers and waste from the human meals. They don't spoil their animals but they seem to do well. It is a sign of the decadence of the West that the animals are given such ridiculous pampering.

As the Chinese say, "America, where children are treated like dogs, and dogs are treated like children."

They're right.

No they are not right.

I do think all the 'special food for animals is silly though.
Geee what would they eat if they had to choose or were turned loose? It wouldn't be dry kibbles, that's for sure.

Nuc
04-06-2007, 12:35 AM
I don't think it's idiotic to not want your dog or cat to be poisoned. I love my dogs and cats very much and am not ahamed. What do they care if someone wants to take GOOD care of their dog? They are the most loyal creatures on earth.

Like anyone in China should worry about what we do with our pets

Would your dogs and cats die if they ate table scraps? Why do they need special industrialized mass produced poisonous food? That's what's idiotic, not the fact that you love them.

krisy
04-06-2007, 05:29 AM
Would your dogs and cats die if they ate table scraps? Why do they need special industrialized mass produced poisonous food? That's what's idiotic, not the fact that you love them.

I can understand what your saying to a point. But I would have to point out,that most vets would frown on table scraps. Probably because of the level of fat the dog could get and the fact that there are some foods that can be very bad for a dog,make them pretty sick. Each to their own tho.

Their digestive systems are different than ours,and some "people" food they wouldn't even absorb correctly too. I won't say that I don't throw our dogs an occasional treat off the table tho

krisy
04-13-2007, 01:30 PM
New list of foods.
Apparently,not all stores are on top of pulling the recalled food off of the shelves.

http://www.fda.gov/bbs/topics/NEWS/2007/NEW01605.html

Abbey Marie
04-13-2007, 02:39 PM
New list of foods.
Apparently,not all stores are on top of pulling the recalled food off of the shelves.

Thanks, Krisy. I do not see our cat's brand, Fancy Feast, on the list, but I still think I shoud throw the cans away; they are all "in gravy".

krisy
04-13-2007, 03:02 PM
Thanks, Krisy. I do not see our cat's brand, Fancy Feast, on the list, but I still think I shoud throw the cans away; they are all "in gravy".

Probably a good idea. I have completely stopped giving my dogs any canned at all,and I won't for a while.

I thought I was safe buying some Canine Carry Out treats yesterday,but a girl at work said they recalled several treats too. I can't find them on the list,but they are through Del Monte and I think some of that company's food was on the list.

Maybe Nuc was right,I'll just start baking them a chicken or a meatloaf every night:laugh2:

Abbey Marie
04-13-2007, 03:06 PM
Probably a good idea. I have completely stopped giving my dogs any canned at all,and I won't for a while.

I thought I was safe buying some Canine Carry Out treats yesterday,but a girl at work said they recalled several treats too. I can't find them on the list,but they are through Del Monte and I think some of that company's food was on the list.

Maybe Nuc was right,I'll just start baking them a chicken or a meatloaf every night:laugh2:

If I did that for my family every night, I might.
Can I take my cat out to a restaurant? :laugh2:

glockmail
04-13-2007, 03:21 PM

They're right.

The chinks are the ones to speak, putting half of their girl babies up for adoption. :pee:

Abbey Marie
04-13-2007, 03:22 PM
The chinks are the ones to speak, putting half of their girl babies up for adoption. :pee:

The ones they don't selectively abort based on sex.

glockmail
04-13-2007, 03:23 PM
New list of foods.

Dry food and table scraps. Both the dog and cat are healty little critters.

Who would spray wheat with rat poison?

glockmail
04-13-2007, 03:24 PM
The ones they don't selectively abort based on sex.
Libs and chinks, aborting themselves out of existence.

krisy
04-13-2007, 06:18 PM
Dry food and table scraps. Both the dog and cat are healty little critters.

Who would spray wheat with rat poison?

I wondered that too. Why would you spray something consumable,and how long have they been doing it.

My mom has been making special stuff to put on her dogs food,since they can't have canned(spoiled,I know). Tonight,I threw just a little bit of shaved ham on their food. My picky German SHepard managed to eat the tiny pices of ham around the dry. I should have just got em McDonalds :)

glockmail
04-15-2007, 01:30 PM
When I was a kid we fed our dog Alpo. Her teeth were bad and breath awful, plus she was overweight. I fed mine dry food and table scraps, lots of bottom shelf "milk bone" type treats, and work with her with a rubber bone. She's 5 years old, good teeth, great shap, and very healthy.