PDA

View Full Version : San Fran Prop R to name sewage plant after GWB, loses 69-31

Little-Acorn
11-05-2008, 02:12 PM
I know you were all hanging on the edges of your chairs, wondering how this vitally important proposition came out.

Without further ado, scroll down to the bottom of the page.

------------------------------------------

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/11/05/BALS13QIFE.DTL&tsp=1

Election results for San Francisco propositions
Marisa Lagos

Wednesday, November 5, 2008

(11-04) 23:57 PST SAN FRANCISCO -- Voters overwhelmingly approved two measures that would provide funding for construction at two city facilities - a hospital and a 65-acre waterfront area - Tuesday night, but shot down a measure that would decriminalize prostitution in the city.

The $887 million bond to rebuild San Francisco General Hospital needed a two-thirds majority to pass and easily won, with 84 percent of the vote. The Pier 70 measure, meanwhile, would allow the city to help finance redevelopment of the waterfront area, which is owned by the Port of San Francisco. It needed a simple majority to pass, and claimed 68 percent of the vote.

But Proposition K, the prostitution measure, lost by 16 percentage points.

City voters, who were asked to weigh in on 22 local ballot measures, voted to keep a military program, the Junior Reserve Officers' Training Corps, in city schools. But they gave Mayor Gavin Newsom a surprise loss with Proposition L.

Prop. L would have provided the first-year funding for a Tenderloin community court to prosecute quality-of-life crimes such as public urination and aggressive panhandling. Funding for the pilot program, a pet project of the mayor's, has already been approved, so the measure was more of a policy statement from voters. It wasn't expected to be very controversial, but lost after garnering just 41 percent of the vote.

Meanwhile, this election's wackiest ballot measure, Proposition R - which would rename a city sewage plant after the current president - went down in flames.

R

An ordinance changing the name of the city-owned Oceanside Water Pollution Control Plant to the George W. Bush Sewage Plant.

98 percent of precincts counted. Requires majority.
Yes - 31 percent. No - 69 percent.

April15
11-05-2008, 03:32 PM
After the citizenry realized what the employees would have be reminded of when putting on ID tags and that the plant actually works well, unlike it's proposed namesake.

YamiB.
11-05-2008, 03:36 PM
I'm glad it went down. I may think that Bush has done a relatively poor job as president and may not like him that much in general. But I think that this would have just been in very poor taste and generally childish.

April15
11-05-2008, 03:43 PM
I'm glad it went down. I may think that Bush has done a relatively poor job as president and may not like him that much in general. But I think that this would have just been in very poor taste and generally childish.It would have disgraced the facility!

Trigg
11-05-2008, 04:47 PM
It would have disgraced the country, whether you want to admit that or not.

Little-Acorn
11-05-2008, 04:48 PM

The Democrats do that regularly. Why should they stop now?

Abbey Marie
11-05-2008, 04:49 PM

Trigg, you know April is not big on admitting things. :coffee:

April15
11-05-2008, 05:37 PM
It would have disgraced the country, whether you want to admit that or not.Only those who were Bush supporters! The country can not be disgraced any more than the man has done already.

Trigg
11-06-2008, 04:49 PM
Only those who were Bush supporters! The country can not be disgraced any more than the man has done already.

Bullshit. It's insulting and a disgrace to try to name a sewage plant after a sitting President.

This has nothing to do with supporting Bush and everything to do with respect for the office. Moron

April15
11-06-2008, 06:21 PM
Bullshit. It's insulting and a disgrace to try to name a sewage plant after a sitting President.

This has nothing to do with supporting Bush and everything to do with respect for the office. MoronSo you must be a Bush supporter! It is plain you are insulted or you wouldn't protest so much. And in the end it would be an insult to the sewage plant as it works efficiently.

Joe Steel
11-07-2008, 07:55 AM
No doubt the voters didn't want to be reminded of Bush long after he's crawled under a rock somewhere (or, preferrably, been imprisoned.) He'll be gone in few months. Try to forget.

Trigg
11-07-2008, 04:47 PM
So you must be a Bush supporter! It is plain you are insulted or you wouldn't protest so much. And in the end it would be an insult to the sewage plant as it works efficiently.

My god your dense, go on keep trying to make this about republican or Democrat.

The measure lost 69-31 in the most liberal state in the union. It lost because people realize that it would be an embarrassment to the country to do this to a sitting President.

Yes, I'm insulted. I'd be just as insulted if someone tried to do this to Clinton or any other president.

hjmick
11-07-2008, 04:55 PM

The measure lost 69-31 in the most liberal state in the union. It lost because people realize that it would be an embarrassment to the country to do this to a sitting President.

Yes, I'm insulted. I'd be just as insulted if someone tried to do this to Clinton or any other president.

Trigg, don't bother. Some people just don't get it.

April15
11-07-2008, 05:28 PM

Yes, I'm insulted. I'd be just as insulted if someone tried to do this to Clinton or any other president.Well thanks for the negative rep but living in the area where this issue is discussed I can assure you what started out as a joke got wheels enough to get on ballot. Then the people started to realize that it would in fact be demeaning to the treatment plant and those who would have to wear the name badges. As for Bush's insult I could care less after his raping of the office and nation.

April15
11-07-2008, 05:29 PM
Trigg, don't bother. Some people just don't get it.I know and trigg is one of them!

Nukeman
11-07-2008, 06:41 PM
Well thanks for the negative rep but living in the area where this issue is discussed I can assure you what started out as a joke got wheels enough to get on ballot. Then the people started to realize that it would in fact be demeaning to the treatment plant and those who would have to wear the name badges. As for Bush's insult I could care less after his raping of the office and nation.Fine dumb fuck, NAME it after NANCY PELOSI ("Nancy Pelosi Shit Treatment Center", yaa I like that since she is soo full of it anyway). I mean if it is something that is to be a badge of honor than give it that witches name......... Or would that be demeaning to her or the employee who have to ware the badges.....

You can NOT care about Bush all you want that is your prerogative but YOU should have RESPECT for the office. You and your liberal ilk just don't understand that. Just another area of common courtesy that conservatives have you beat hands down....

Apparently the 69% of voters realized, unlike you, that this would be an embarrassment. At least there are some thinking people in your state, present company excluded. :slap:

Nukeman
11-07-2008, 06:43 PM
I know and trigg is one of them!
And some still blame ALL their own problems on Ronald Reagan... Get a fucking life and and hopefully a clue!!!!!!

April15
11-07-2008, 06:57 PM
And some still blame ALL their own problems on Ronald Reagan... Get a fucking life and and hopefully a clue!!!!!!I saw what raygun proposed so I protected myself from his stupid trickle down. I only say that RR screwed everything because it is true. A small sample follows:
The fact is that your mind is closed to the truth. When Saddam gassed the Kurds (Halabja, March 1988, Reagan was still the president. When Congress tried to pass a resolution condemning Saddam for this heinous act, Reagan told them to back off. The same Reagan whose Secretary of State (Donald Rumsfeld) was pictured shaking hands with this same Saddam (Dec 1983), the same Reagan who authorized illegal sales of missiles to Iran, the proceeds of which were diverted to Nicaraguan "Contra" rebels (death squads in their own right) in direct violation of US laws passed by Congress the previous year.
I detest Clinton for NAFTA, the Welfare Reform Act of 1996, the Telecommunications Act of 1996, the unilateral bombing of Iraq in Dec. 1998, the bombing of a pharmaceutical plant in Sudan, and the bombing of Yugoslavia in 1999. The only things Clinton did to help Americans was the Family Medical Leave Act of 1993 and a marginal increase in the national Minimum Wage (which has remained at $5.15 per hour since Sep. 1997).
This president Bush acts with such brazen arrogance and lack of conscience as to give one the impression that he is clinically insane. He has done more damage to our international image, to the economy, the environment, and put us at greater risk of suffering another terrorist attack, not to mention the fact that he has polarized this country as has not been seen since the Civil War. Bush is an embarrassment to our country. I would not be surprised if world leaders laugh at him behind his back, and laugh at us for having elected him our leader twice.

And some more:

The conscience of a Liberal

http://krugman.blogs.nytimes.com/2007/11/10/innocent-mistakes/
November 10, 2007, 7:36 pm
Innocent mistakes

So there’s a campaign on to exonerate Ronald Reagan from the charge that he deliberately made use of Nixon’s Southern strategy. When he went to Philadelphia, Mississippi, in 1980, the town where the civil rights workers had been murdered, and declared that “I believe in states’ rights,” he didn’t mean to signal support for white racists. It was all just an innocent mistake.

Indeed, you do really have to feel sorry for Reagan. He just kept making those innocent mistakes.

When he went on about the welfare queen driving her Cadillac, and kept repeating the story years after it had been debunked, some people thought he was engaging in race-baiting. But it was all just an innocent mistake.

When, in 1976, he talked about working people angry about the “strapping young buck” using food stamps to buy T-bone steaks at the grocery store, he didn’t mean to play into racial hostility. True, as The New York Times reported,

The ex-Governor has used the grocery-line illustration before, but in states like New Hampshire where there is scant black population, he has never used the expression “young buck,” which, to whites in the South, generally denotes a large black man.

But the appearance that Reagan was playing to Southern prejudice was just an innocent mistake.

Similarly, when Reagan declared in 1980 that the Voting Rights Act had been “humiliating to the South,” he didn’t mean to signal sympathy with segregationists. It was all an innocent mistake.

In 1982, when Reagan intervened on the side of Bob Jones University, which was on the verge of losing its tax-exempt status because of its ban on interracial dating, he had no idea that the issue was so racially charged. It was all an innocent mistake.

And the next year, when Reagan fired three members of the Civil Rights Commission, it wasn’t intended as a gesture of support to Southern whites. It was all an innocent mistake.

Poor Reagan. He just kept on making those innocent mistakes, again and again and again.

PS: It has been pointed out to me that Reagan opposed making Martin Luther King Day a national holiday, giving in only when Congress passed a law creating the holiday by a veto-proof majority. But he really didn’t mean to disrespect the civil rights movement - it was just an innocent mistake.

Nukeman
11-07-2008, 07:45 PM
I saw what raygun proposed so I protected myself from his stupid trickle down. I only say that RR screwed everything because it is true. A small sample follows:
The fact is that your mind is closed to the truth. When Saddam gassed the Kurds (Halabja, March 1988, Reagan was still the president. When Congress tried to pass a resolution condemning Saddam for this heinous act, Reagan told them to back off. The same Reagan whose Secretary of State (Donald Rumsfeld) was pictured shaking hands with this same Saddam (Dec 1983), the same Reagan who authorized illegal sales of missiles to Iran, the proceeds of which were diverted to Nicaraguan "Contra" rebels (death squads in their own right) in direct violation of US laws passed by Congress the previous year.
I detest Clinton for NAFTA, the Welfare Reform Act of 1996, the Telecommunications Act of 1996, the unilateral bombing of Iraq in Dec. 1998, the bombing of a pharmaceutical plant in Sudan, and the bombing of Yugoslavia in 1999. The only things Clinton did to help Americans was the Family Medical Leave Act of 1993 and a marginal increase in the national Minimum Wage (which has remained at $5.15 per hour since Sep. 1997).
This president Bush acts with such brazen arrogance and lack of conscience as to give one the impression that he is clinically insane. He has done more damage to our international image, to the economy, the environment, and put us at greater risk of suffering another terrorist attack, not to mention the fact that he has polarized this country as has not been seen since the Civil War. Bush is an embarrassment to our country. I would not be surprised if world leaders laugh at him behind his back, and laugh at us for having elected him our leader twice.

And some more:

The conscience of a Liberal

http://krugman.blogs.nytimes.com/2007/11/10/innocent-mistakes/
November 10, 2007, 7:36 pm
Innocent mistakes

So there’s a campaign on to exonerate Ronald Reagan from the charge that he deliberately made use of Nixon’s Southern strategy. When he went to Philadelphia, Mississippi, in 1980, the town where the civil rights workers had been murdered, and declared that “I believe in states’ rights,” he didn’t mean to signal support for white racists. It was all just an innocent mistake.

Indeed, you do really have to feel sorry for Reagan. He just kept making those innocent mistakes.

When he went on about the welfare queen driving her Cadillac, and kept repeating the story years after it had been debunked, some people thought he was engaging in race-baiting. But it was all just an innocent mistake.

When, in 1976, he talked about working people angry about the “strapping young buck” using food stamps to buy T-bone steaks at the grocery store, he didn’t mean to play into racial hostility. True, as The New York Times reported,

The ex-Governor has used the grocery-line illustration before, but in states like New Hampshire where there is scant black population, he has never used the expression “young buck,” which, to whites in the South, generally denotes a large black man.

But the appearance that Reagan was playing to Southern prejudice was just an innocent mistake.

Similarly, when Reagan declared in 1980 that the Voting Rights Act had been “humiliating to the South,” he didn’t mean to signal sympathy with segregationists. It was all an innocent mistake.

In 1982, when Reagan intervened on the side of Bob Jones University, which was on the verge of losing its tax-exempt status because of its ban on interracial dating, he had no idea that the issue was so racially charged. It was all an innocent mistake.

And the next year, when Reagan fired three members of the Civil Rights Commission, it wasn’t intended as a gesture of support to Southern whites. It was all an innocent mistake.

Poor Reagan. He just kept on making those innocent mistakes, again and again and again.

PS: It has been pointed out to me that Reagan opposed making Martin Luther King Day a national holiday, giving in only when Congress passed a law creating the holiday by a veto-proof majority. But he really didn’t mean to disrespect the civil rights movement - it was just an innocent mistake.
and all this was 20-28 freaking years ago and YOU still blame your woes on a dead man. How typical of libs. Yet you chose to castigate those of us who blame the democratic held house and senate for doing NOTHING to stop the current crisis. If you can let go of a bone after 20 years why do you expect anyone to not hold the current congress accountable for their action or should I say lack of....