PDA

View Full Version : Is size important?

Mr. P
11-06-2008, 09:55 PM
That's Caliber vs Shot placement folks..:slap:

It depends on many factors.

Anyone who shoots understands that there are many variables involved in good marksmanship. So, for personal protection lets just focus on two: Caliber verses shot placement.

There is a wealth of information available, studies, experiments and personal experience to support both sides, but how do you view it?

My opinion is shot placement is more important. You can have a canon but if you can’t hit the target it’s no more than a noise maker.

No doubt that's a reflection of my experience with firearms and doesn't make it the correct opinion/ conclusion for everyone.

I am taking of pistols for personal and home protection.

What do you think?

hjmick
11-06-2008, 09:57 PM
There is no substitute for accuracy.

manu1959
11-06-2008, 09:59 PM
That's Caliber vs Shot placement folks..:slap:

It depends on many factors.

Anyone who shoots understands that there are many variables involved in good marksmanship. So, for personal protection lets just focus on two: Caliber verses shot placement.

There is a wealth of information available, studies, experiments and personal experience to support both sides, but how do you view it?

My opinion is shot placement is more important. You can have a canon but if you can’t hit the target it’s no more than a noise maker.

No doubt that's a reflection of my experience with firearms and doesn't make it the correct opinion/ conclusion for everyone.

I am taking of pistols for personal and home protection.

What do you think?

well there is probably a point were perfect shot placement and a 22 will seem like a bad idea......and a 357 and a near miss would still be effective.....:laugh2:

but i agree with you i will take placement over caliber

Mr. P
11-14-2008, 11:58 PM
well there is probably a point were perfect shot placement and a 22 will seem like a bad idea......and a 357 and a near miss would still be effective.....:laugh2:

but i agree with you i will take placement over caliber

True, which brings to mind two important issues of good marksmanship.

1. Know your capability.
2. Know the capability of your firearm.

darin
11-15-2008, 09:44 AM
Placement. A well-placed .22 would stop anyone (think...eye?)

:)

I suppose I'd rather be very familiar w/ a 9mm and able to shoot and hit every time, than to have a 'manly' .45 and feel uncomfortable with it...and vice-versa...it boils down to, for me at least, a weapon that fits me. :)

crin63
11-15-2008, 10:19 AM
I have a wide range of calibers and little variation in quality.

Accuracy is most important! DMP is right about shot placement with a .22.

For home protection I go with my Kimber .45, Its reliable, accurate and big. I have a flashlight/laser attached to it as well. Its going out for a trigger job and some accuracy work on it.

Trigg
11-15-2008, 10:41 AM
This is my rifle
This is my gun

One is for fighting
One is for fun

:coffee:

Guess the movie??????

Mr. P
11-15-2008, 10:55 AM
This is my rifle
This is my gun

One is for fighting
One is for fun

:coffee:

Guess the movie??????

Don't know for sure but it's similar to what we had to stand and say in basic training if we called our M-16 a gun.

This is my weapon *hold up M-16*
This is my gun *grab crotch*

This is for killing *hold up M-16*
This is for fun *grab crotch*

Followed by 50 or so push-ups..:laugh2:

Trigg
11-15-2008, 04:39 PM
Full Metal jacket

I always thought that part of the movie was funny. I can't believe they really do that. :laugh2:

darin
11-15-2008, 11:33 PM
bought a small caliber toy today.... 5.56...As a kit. :D

Gadget (fmr Marine)
11-15-2008, 11:50 PM
Full Metal jacket

I always thought that part of the movie was funny. I can't believe they really do that. :laugh2:

One of the most realistic depictions of Marine Corps boot camp that I have seen in the movies.....

I have a wide range of calibers and little variation in quality.

Accuracy is most important! DMP is right about shot placement with a .22.

For home protection I go with my Kimber .45, Its reliable, accurate and big. I have a flashlight/laser attached to it as well. Its going out for a trigger job and some accuracy work on it.

Kimber .45 is also my home protection weapon of choice....

Caliber is means a lot when you hit your target, even off bull....although the .22 is really dangerous, in that once it penetrates the body cavity, the round can bounce around inside, not having enough velocity to break back through the other side. It can cause A LOT of internal damage.

I prefer a larger caliber round for knock down use, and I am not going to be firing only 1 shot, either.....shot 'til the threat has been neutralized!!!!

emmett
11-16-2008, 12:37 AM
My weapon at home is a 32 cal Baretta. Small, fits in small place. Also it travels around during the day as my boot gun. My carry gun is a P95. My car gun is a Colt model anaconda 44 mag which with it's long barrel stands up nicely between my truck seats. I also have a Mossberg with the pistol grip under my mattress for whatever practical purpose it will serve.

As far as accuracy vs and all that. They all shoot bullets and i don't anticipate being in any military applications. The onloy time placement matters for me is when hunting. My Ruger 7 mag always hits what I shoot at perfectly. For bowhunting I have a Browning Excalibur plus with a huge overdraw and use 24.5 inch Black carbon fiber arrows with 95 grain 4 blade thinsters. I am as accurate with a bow from short yard situations as I am with a handgun up to about thirty five yards or so. Sometimes even more so if large caliber handgun. I can shoot my yard target with a pistol from those ditances and then put an arrow in the bullet hole.

When I lived in Gainesville I had the luxury of an indoor firing range in my basement that had been put in by the homes previous owner. Sure was nice of him. Got pretty good during that time.

johnney
01-24-2009, 09:10 AM
There is no substitute for accuracy.

ditto, yo ucan be just as dead with a .22 as you can be with a .45