PDA

View Full Version : No hidden white bias seen in presidential race

Yurt
11-07-2008, 10:18 AM
No hidden white bias seen in presidential race

WASHINGTON – Whether whites supported Barack Obama or not, they don't seem to have lied to pollsters about it.

Obama's election triumph on Tuesday presented no evidence of the so-called Bradley effect, in which whites who oppose a black politician mislead pollsters about whom they will vote for. Instead, national and state pre-election polls were generally accurate in reflecting voters' preferences in the presidential contest.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081107/ap_on_el_pr/polls_obama_race;_ylt=AutUc0jUbYIaHXF_.w8_kQoEtbAF

great, now let's put an end to discriminatory hiring and admission practices based on skin color

Yurt
11-07-2008, 04:27 PM
:dance:

Nukeman
11-07-2008, 07:54 PM
Can the same be said about "black bias" seen in the recent election!!!!

retiredman
11-07-2008, 08:03 PM
Can the same be said about "black bias" seen in the recent election!!!!

interesting question.

A lot was made a few years back about how folks in Kansas who voted republican were voting against their own economic self-interest. As it turns out, in this election, overwhelmingly, wealthy, college and graduate school educated voters voted against THEIR economic self interest and voted for Obama, a man who had promised to raise their taxes.

I happen to believe that for many poor African-Americans, the chance to vote for a democrat who would try hard to ease their lot in life, combined with the fact that he was also black, brought poor blacks out in force. The fact that he would do great things for health care, and education and the environment, brought affluent blacks out - along with affluent whites - to altruistically vote for the greater good even if it was against their own individual economic self interest.

Nukeman
11-07-2008, 08:09 PM
interesting question.

A lot was made a few years back about how folks in Kansas who voted republican were voting against their own economic self-interest. As it turns out, in this election, overwhelmingly, wealthy, college and graduate school educated voters voted against THEIR economic self interest and voted for Obama, a man who had promised to raise their taxes.

I happen to believe that for many poor African-Americans, the chance to vote for a democrat who would try hard to ease their lot in life, combined with the fact that he was also black, brought poor blacks out in force. The fact that he would do great things for health care, and education and the environment, brought affluent blacks out - along with affluent whites - to altruistically vote for the greater good even if it was against their own individual economic self interest.Spin it how you want but when the day ends blacks voted for obama by a majority of 92% if they were voting on issues and how they perceived and listened to the candidates than if should have been a bit more equal. I will bring up a thread that occurred earlier this week about a black man who at 106 voted for the first time BECAUSE there was a black man running.

http://www.debatepolicy.com/showthread.php?t=19327

I am sick of the double standard allowed to flourish in this country every white, middle class, Christian has to understand how others feel yet we are constantly vilified and demeaned in the public eye for being the root of all our countries ills when in fact if not for us this country would be in the toilet in a matter of years....

retiredman
11-07-2008, 08:16 PM
Spin it how you want but when the day ends blacks voted for obama by a majority of 92% if they were voting on issues and how they perceived and listened to the candidates than if should have been a bit more equal. I will bring up a thread that occurred earlier this week about a black man who at 106 voted for the first time BECAUSE there was a black man running.

http://www.debatepolicy.com/showthread.php?t=19327

I am sick of the double standard allowed to flourish in this country every white, middle class, Christian has to understand how others feel yet we are constantly vilified and demeaned in the public eye for being the root of all our countries ills when in fact if not for us this country would be in the toilet in a matter of years....

so let me get this straight....you are against people voting in their own economic self interest....and you are against people voting in oppostion to their own economic self interest.

Have I got that right?

Nukeman
11-07-2008, 08:27 PM
so let me get this straight....you are against people voting in the own economic self interest....and you are against people voting in oppostion to their own economic self interest.

Have I got that right?
Absolutely not.

Let me get this straight are you implying that 92% of blacks need some type of government assistance or hand out. Because if thats the case than we really need to rethink what "economic self interest" is.

If blacks were voting for their own self interst than they should be as evenly split as whites or do you contest that?

Whites as a whole voted pretty much down the middle I would EXPECT the black vote to be in line with that IF it wasn't based solely on race or do you disagree...

retiredman
11-07-2008, 08:32 PM
Absolutely not.

Let me get this straight are you implying that 92% of blacks need some type of government assistance or hand out. Because if thats the case than we really need to rethink what "economic self interest" is.

If blacks were voting for their own self interst than they should be as evenly split as whites or do you contest that?

Whites as a whole voted pretty much down the middle I would EXPECT the black vote to be in line with that IF it wasn't based solely on race or do you disagree...

not at all. some blacks voted for Obama because they would get a tax cut...just like some whites did. Some blacks voted for Obama even though their taxes would be raised, just like many wealthy, well -educated whites did.

I can imagine that some blacks voted for Obama primarily because he was black, just as many white people voted for McCain primarily because he was white.

To deny that blacks are, on average, an economically disadvantaged race in America is to deny the facts.

Kathianne
11-07-2008, 08:46 PM
not at all. some blacks voted for Obama because they would get a tax cut...just like some whites did. Some blacks voted for Obama even though their taxes would be raised, just like many wealthy, well -educated whites did.

I can imagine that some blacks voted for Obama primarily because he was black, just as many white people voted for McCain primarily because he was white.

To deny that blacks are, on average, an economically disadvantaged race in America is to deny the facts.

Pffft. Bottom line, most blacks are middle class or better. Of those blacks if 'prejudice' wasn't entering into the equation, the ratios should have mimicked the white vote. Are you trying to say 92% of blacks are going to benefit from Obama's plans?

It would be insane to demand such. For the two years that Obama has been running, I've been saying it would be normal and right that many blacks would vote against their own interests, for 'the sake of history.' I know my parents did with JFK, he was not only Catholic, but Irish. That in and of itself was enough. So it was with Catholics as a group, Irish or not. I would expect no more or less from Blacks.

On this I think they have winners and losers on their side. I do not agree with Obama's policies as stated, but I'm happy that every black kid now thinks they too can become president of USA.

Missileman
11-07-2008, 08:59 PM

And to deny that for the vast majority of them it is a situation of their own making is denying reality.

retiredman
11-07-2008, 09:04 PM
Pffft. Bottom line, most blacks are middle class or better. Of those blacks if 'prejudice' wasn't entering into the equation, the ratios should have mimicked the white vote. Are you trying to say 92% of blacks are going to benefit from Obama's plans?

It would be insane to demand such. For the two years that Obama has been running, I've been saying it would be normal and right that many blacks would vote against their own interests, for 'the sake of history.' I know my parents did with JFK, he was not only Catholic, but Irish. That in and of itself was enough. So it was with Catholics as a group, Irish or not. I would expect no more or less from Blacks.

On this I think they have winners and losers on their side. I do not agree with Obama's policies as stated, but I'm happy that every black kid now thinks they too can become president of USA.

I woul dagree that some blacks voted for Obama simply because he was black...many voted for him because of their economic self interest, and many voted for him - along with an overwhelming number of rich and educated whites - against their own economic self interest because they believed his ideas were good for America. The sum total of all those blacks voting FOR Obama was 92%. I would suggest, although I have no way of knowing, that the percentage of white folks who voted against Obama simply because he was black might make up the difference in the percentage disparity.

Kathianne
11-07-2008, 09:05 PM
I woul dagree that some blacks voted for Obama simply because he was black...many voted for him because of their economic self interest, and many voted for him - along with an overwhelming number of rich and educated whites - against their own economic self interest because they believed his ideas were good for America. The sum total of all those blacks voting FOR Obama was 92%. I would suggest, although I have no way of knowing, that the percentage of white folks who voted against Obama simply because he was black might make up the difference in the percentage disparity.

And your suggestion, as you know, would be bs. But it works for what you see as your party's interest. Got it.

retiredman
11-07-2008, 09:07 PM
And your suggestion, as you know, would be bs. But it works for what you see as your party's interest. Got it.

so...you are saying that there were actually NO voters who voted for McCain simply because Obama was black?

GMAFB

Abbey Marie
11-07-2008, 09:36 PM
And to deny that for the vast majority of them it is a situation of their own making is denying reality.

Well said. That truly is the crux of it.

hjmick
11-07-2008, 09:52 PM

It's generational in many cases. Passed on from parent to child like genes.

Missileman
11-07-2008, 11:58 PM
so...you are saying that there were actually NO voters who voted for McCain simply because Obama was black?

GMAFB

It's as plausible as your statement that no blacks voted for Obama because he was black. GYABN!