PDA

View Full Version : Graduate high school in 10th grade?

11-07-2008, 11:37 AM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/time/20081107/us_time/shouldkidsbeabletograduateafter10thgrade

This is an interesting idea. Any thoughts on it?

KitchenKitten99
11-07-2008, 12:05 PM
it is interesting. I'm not opposed to it, if a student wants to make it their goal to graduate in 10th grade.

However there is already a similar program like this here in MN, called the PSEO program. Kids in the high schools here can take college courses for college-credits, at the local tech school or community college. There are requirements that must be met, but you don't have to pay the college tuition out of pocket. I was going to do that program myself, but for reasons i can't remember, i didn't. Many of those who did though, graduated college sooner than the average student.

Don't know if that is an option outside MN or not.

Binky
11-07-2008, 03:16 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/time/20081107/us_time/shouldkidsbeabletograduateafter10thgrade

This is an interesting idea. Any thoughts on it?

Great post! Thanks! I'm from Upper Mid Michigan and the school system stinks from what my daughter tells me. My two granddaughters math and reading skills are two grades higher than the average child in their grade levels. Since this "no child left behind," thing started, they are devoting the majority of their time to the students who are not doing well and struggling. However, since my granddaughters are both doing extrememly well, the teachers don't need to "push them along," so to speak. In fact, they have forgotten about them and as a result, their minds are not being challenged. My daughter makes sure as she always has that they push themselves harder to learn other things rather than stay in the "safe mode," and at the same speed as the rest of their classmates. That's why they are at the level they are in their minds. My daughter is mad at the school and teachers for not giving the girls different things to do to challenge them, so now the eldest one is beginning to get bored and coasting along.

This might be something we can check into. However, I don't know if it will do us any good here in Michigan as I don't know it they would go for it or have that sort of program.

My granddaughters are in grades 4th and 6th and their reading and math skills have been two years ahead for the last three years. (My daughter home shcooled them before they even entered kindergarten.)

Thanks again as this is something me may want to check into. :clap:

LiberalNation
11-07-2008, 04:44 PM
Think it's a great idea. Being forced into 4 years and spending the last two not learning a thing new is a waste of time.

Trigg
11-07-2008, 04:52 PM
I spent my senior year working half days (I left school by 11) because I had all my classes. We moved to FL my Junior year and I was ahead of where I needed to be.

One of my younger sisters quit school as a Junior and took her GED because she was so far ahead.

I have no problem with a system that lets kids graduate early.

Psychoblues
11-08-2008, 07:31 AM
I graduated 6th grade when I was only 12. What's the problem?!?!?!?!?!?

God Bless America!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

I Just Want To Celebrate!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:salute::beer::clap::laugh2::beer::salute:

5stringJeff
11-08-2008, 09:14 AM
I think this is a great idea. The smarter kids should be able to graduate in two years with no problem, and go straight to college (either community or 4-year). Other kids, who don't want to attend college, can take all four years.

Nukeman
11-08-2008, 01:05 PM
In the state of Indiana the sophomore students take the ISTEP test IF they pass this test they automatically meet the requirement for graduation their senior year (provided they pass their remaining courses). It is kind of ridiculous if you ask me. Take a test in 10th grade to make sure you can graduate in 12th. If you have ALREADY met the requirements at that time then let them graduate and START their path in life.:cool:

manu1959
11-08-2008, 01:19 PM
I graduated 6th grade when I was only 12. What's the problem?!?!?!?!?!?

God Bless America!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

I Just Want To Celebrate!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:salute::beer::clap::laugh2::beer::salute:

in 6th grade you should be 11

Kathianne
11-08-2008, 03:45 PM
in 6th grade you should be 11

:laugh2: I thought that!