PDA

View Full Version : Kyl Issues Warning To Obama On Supreme Court Appointments

Psychoblues
11-08-2008, 05:34 AM
Yeah, like President Obama or any other American is supposed to give a shit about his rather empty threats?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Source: Phoenix Business Journal -

Jon Kyl, the second-ranking Republican in the U.S. Senate, warned president-elect Barack Obama that he would filibuster U.S. Supreme Court appointments if those nominees were too liberal.

Kyl, Arizona’s junior senator, expects Obama to appoint judges in the mold of U.S Supreme Court Justices Ruth Bader Ginsburg, David Souter and Stephen Breyer. Those justices take a liberal view on cases related to social, law and order and business issues, Kyl said.

“He believes in justices that have empathy,” said Kyl, speaking at a Federalist Society meeting in Phoenix. The attorneys group promotes conservative legal principles.

Kyl said if Obama goes with empathetic judges who do not base their decisions on the rule of law and legal precedents but instead the factors in each case, he would try to block those picks via filibuster........................................ .

More: http://triangle.bizjournals.com/triangle/othercities/phoenix/stories/2008/11/03/daily77.html

Perhaps he needs to spend more time tucking in his state's senior Senator, one John McCain, at night as I understand he isn't sleeping well lately?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

God Bless America!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I Just Want To Celebrate!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:salute::beer::clap::laugh2::beer::salute:

Joe Steel
11-08-2008, 07:16 AM
Yeah, like President Obama or any other American is supposed to give a shit about his rather empty threats?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Source: Phoenix Business Journal -

Jon Kyl, the second-ranking Republican in the U.S. Senate, warned president-elect Barack Obama that he would filibuster U.S. Supreme Court appointments if those nominees were too liberal.

Kyl seems to have forgotten how terrible judicial filibusters are. A few years ago they wanted to ban them.

To justify banning Senate filibusters in judicial nomination debates, Republicans are claiming support from history. Until now, say Republicans such as Sen. John Kyl and former Sen. Bob Dole, no one has used filibusters to block nominees to the federal courts. Because Democrats have broken an unwritten rule, their logic goes, Republicans are forced to change written ones.

The Republicans’ Filibuster Lie (http://articles.latimes.com/2005/may/03/opinion/oe-greenberg3)

What's the difference?

Why does Kyl think they're OK now?

Psychoblues
11-08-2008, 07:24 AM
"They" who, js?

Kyl seems to have forgotten how terrible judicial filibusters are. A few years ago they wanted to ban them.

What's the difference?

Don't try and blow smoke up my ass, js. You, me and thin ice don't get along well, don't you know?!???!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

God Bless America!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

I Just Want To Celebrate!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Joe Steel
11-08-2008, 07:29 AM
"They" who, js?

Don't try and blow smoke up my ass, js. You, me and thin ice don't get along well, don't you know?!???!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

God Bless America!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

I Just Want To Celebrate!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can you read?

Try the article I linked.

Psychoblues
11-08-2008, 07:37 AM
You wanna try me, js? Please proceed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can you read?

Your post indicated simply "they" as if that means something to anyone beyond yourself. Do you wonder why your ass is kicked to the curb every time you post or are you satisfied being the dumbass that you are?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!

I was just trying to help, 'lil one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

God Bless America!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I Just Want To Celebrate!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:salute::beer::clap::laugh2::beer::laugh2:

Joe Steel
11-08-2008, 08:01 AM
You wanna try me, js? Please proceed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Your post indicated simply "they" as if that means something to anyone beyond yourself. Do you wonder why your ass is kicked to the curb every time you post or are you satisfied being the dumbass that you are?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!

Why would I wonder about that? It's never happened.

So try again, dumbass.

The posting had everything a well-read person needed to understand the point. Try to make a intelligent comment.

Are you up to the challenge?

5stringJeff
11-08-2008, 09:16 AM

What's the difference?

What's good for the goose is good for the gander. If the Dems could threaten filibusters all day long and hold up the Bush agenda, why shouldn't the GOP do the same to Obama?

Joe Steel
11-08-2008, 09:44 AM
What's good for the goose is good for the gander. If the Dems could threaten filibusters all day long and hold up the Bush agenda, why shouldn't the GOP do the same to Obama?

No reason at all.

I have no problem with using filibusters. It's perfectly acceptable under the rules. I just wanted to point-out Kyl's hypocrisy.

11-08-2008, 11:27 AM
No reason at all.

I have no problem with using filibusters. It's perfectly acceptable under the rules. I just wanted to point-out Kyl's hypocrisy.

Actually, it demonstrates your hypocrisy.

retiredman
11-08-2008, 12:36 PM
Actually, it demonstrates your hypocrisy.

I would never whine about republicans using filibusters, given the fact that democrats have previously done so.

republicans who now threaten to use them, after whining about how HORRID democrats were for previously doing so, are being hypocritical.

Monkeybone
11-08-2008, 12:42 PM
being hypocritical.
i didn't think that you could be in politics without being that way :beer:

Kathianne
11-08-2008, 03:47 PM
I would never whine about republicans using filibusters, given the fact that democrats have previously done so.

republicans who now threaten to use them, after whining about how HORRID democrats were for previously doing so, are being hypocritical.
They've used them in the last session, I expect they will if possible continue doing so, as they should.

retiredman
11-08-2008, 04:09 PM
They've used them in the last session, I expect they will if possible continue doing so, as they should.

that does not change the fact that republican senators LIKE KYL were appalled that democrats used them and decried their usage BEFORE they were in the minority...and that DOES make them hypocrites whether you chose to acknowledge it or not.

Kathianne
11-08-2008, 04:43 PM
that does not change the fact that republican senators LIKE KYL were appalled that democrats used them and decried their usage BEFORE they were in the minority...and that DOES make them hypocrites whether you chose to acknowledge it or not.

As much of hypocrisy as democrats now claiming it to be obstructionist. Get over it.

On the other hand the tool is a way to slow down what might be disastrous policies. So shockingly, those that went before even old folks like us, were more intelligent or at least better at foresight.

Yurt
11-08-2008, 08:03 PM
Can you read?

:lol:

joe steel to psycho

now that's funny

Yurt
11-08-2008, 08:04 PM
As much of hypocrisy as democrats now claiming it to be obstructionist. Get over it.

On the other hand the tool is a way to slow down what might be disastrous policies. So shockingly, those that went before even old folks like us, were more intelligent or at least better at foresight.

weren't you the one who started the: let's ignore mfm

how is it working for you? has he threatened your home/family lately?

Kathianne
11-08-2008, 08:05 PM
weren't you the one who started the: let's ignore mfm

how is it working for you? has he threatened your home/family lately?

No one listened. Why should I?

diuretic
11-08-2008, 08:08 PM
It sounds to me like this Kyl bloke is giving himself a postion on the inside on the rail so he can make a move on the leaders a bit later. This is very much a "look at me!" moment.

Yurt
11-08-2008, 08:40 PM
No one listened. Why should I?

don't blame you, it is in fact why i took him off ignore...those that said they would did not and it did not have any effect.

it is ok to threaten someone's home...

and yet we are a biased board....

retiredman
11-08-2008, 09:31 PM

you don't hear ME saying it is obstructionist. It is a tool that the minority has to use. I have no problem with it at all. I merely point out that it was the REPUBLICANS who were so upset with it that it took the efforts of the gang of 14 to stop the senate republicans from changing the rules to eliminate it.... Democrats have never tried, to the best of my knowledge, to eliminate the rule that allows the minority to filibuster. They may have tried to fiddle with the 60 number... and even that I had a problem with. Filibusters are great tools to prevent bad policy. Republicans were appalled that democrats would use them but now have no problem using them themselves. that is hypocrisy. admit it.

retiredman
11-08-2008, 09:35 PM
don't blame you, it is in fact why i took him off ignore...those that said they would did not and it did not have any effect.

it is ok to threaten someone's home...

and yet we are a biased board....

call the waaaaambulance... oh wait... you can't ...you're too busy chasing it!:lol:

you are an internet stalker. you and I both know it even though you do not have the integrity to admit it. "Parish" the thought!:lol:

and I never threatened your home..OR your family. I merely stated that if you harmed me in real life I would retaliate in real life. No threat...just a promise. Harm me...get harmed in return. It would seem that was fairly easy to understand..even for a creepy internet stalking weirdo like you!