PDA

View Full Version : Thousands in Salt Lake City protest LDS stance on same-sex marriage

5stringJeff
11-08-2008, 07:25 PM
I'm not a Mormon, but I applaud the LDS's support of Proposition 8 in California. But it looks like there's a lot of gay people pissed off at the Mormon church.

-----------

Opponents of a measure that banned gay marriage in California took their outrage to the spiritual hub of Mormonism on Friday.
More than 3,000 people swarmed downtown Salt Lake City to march past the LDS temple and church headquarters, protesting Mormon involvement in the campaign for California's Proposition 8. The measure, which defined marriage as exclusively between a man and a woman, passed this week.
A sea of signs in City Creek Park, where the march began, screamed out messages including, "I didn't vote on your marriage," "Mormons once persecuted . . . Now persecutors," and "Jesus said love everyone." Others read, "Proud of my two moms" and "Protect traditional marriage. Ban divorce."
Former Salt Lake City Mayor Rocky Anderson and three openly gay state legislators, Sen. Scott McCoy and Reps. Jackie Biskupski and Christine Johnson, spoke out in support. At one point, the crowd took up the mantra made famous by the country's new president-elect: "Yes, we can!"

http://www.sltrib.com/faith/ci_10929992

Yurt
11-08-2008, 07:45 PM
go protest...

somehow i suspect that if the mormons were to go to, say SF, and protest gay marriage, the reaction would be quite different. probably violence. probably threats against your home/family. you can protest, but you can't protest unless you are liberal.

if the proverbial (mass/mob) clock continues to swing.... as it seems to be doing lately (last few decades) then we shall see a shift to the conservative side shortly.