PDA

View Full Version : DOS Attack

krisy
11-08-2008, 09:42 PM
Does anyone know anything about this? There is another website....freerepublic.com that has been hit by this. I found out reading over at DU. Someone there put a link to freerepublics alternate website,and that is where they are saying they have been deliberatly crashed today and were on election day as well. They said a DOS attack is when millions of computers log onto a site to crash it?!!

Anyway,this is interesting to me. They are very suspicious about who is responsible,and of course the people at DU saying the site was shut down ny the FBI because of bad words about Obama:eek:

stephanie
11-08-2008, 09:50 PM
hey Krisy, what is the link to the freerepublic alternate website..

I've been trying to get on since this morning?

thanks..

krisy
11-08-2008, 09:55 PM
Here ya go steph....lot of juicy stuff about what's goin on over there

http://altfreerepublic.freeforums.org/fr-down-t5.html

stephanie
11-08-2008, 09:58 PM
Here ya go steph....lot of juicy stuff about what's goin on over there

http://altfreerepublic.freeforums.org/fr-down-t5.html

thanks dear..

krisy
11-08-2008, 10:06 PM
thanks dear..

no problem...I got from DU of all places :lol: :laugh2:

stephanie
11-08-2008, 10:10 PM
no problem...I got from DU of all places :lol: :laugh2:

how weird is that...

hjmick
11-08-2008, 10:14 PM
DU initiated the DOS, then provided it's members with a link to the alternate sight so they could all get a good laugh. :tinfoil:

stephanie
11-08-2008, 10:20 PM
DU initiated the DOS, then provided it's members with a link to the alternate sight so they could all get a good laugh. :tinfoil:

I wouldn't put anything past them..

this is probably just the beginning of attacks..

jimnyc
11-08-2008, 10:25 PM
A DOS attack is also known as "Denial Of Service". When too many requests are sent to a server, it gets overloaded and can no longer respond to continued requests. This is NOT from too much traffic but rather from a malicious attack. Generally, the "hackers" will use multiple machines/servers to toss out thousands upon thousands (if not more) PING requests to the server in question, basically grinding it to a halt and eventually killing it. It's not always isolated to PING requests, that's just an example. Pretty much any maliciously repeated request of a server or router will cause it to fail.

krisy
11-08-2008, 10:42 PM
A DOS attack is also known as "Denial Of Service". When too many requests are sent to a server, it gets overloaded and can no longer respond to continued requests. This is NOT from too much traffic but rather from a malicious attack. Generally, the "hackers" will use multiple machines/servers to toss out thousands upon thousands (if not more) PING requests to the server in question, basically grinding it to a halt and eventually killing it. It's not always isolated to PING requests, that's just an example. Pretty much any maliciously repeated request of a server or router will cause it to fail.

Wow....I just can't believe that someone would be so evil.

jim-can one person do this themselves or would it take several people? Whose computers do they use?

jimnyc
11-08-2008, 10:48 PM
Wow....I just can't believe that someone would be so evil.

jim-can one person do this themselves or would it take several people? Whose computers do they use?

Sure, one person can do it, so long as they have the resources. A simple PC wouldn't be enough to overpower a good server. Sometimes they use "viruses" that have been propagated over time and use these infected machines to "attack". Sometimes a few high powered servers can be programmed to deliver the attack. Generally when you see something like this it will be a "team" working in concert. They'll deliver the attack from multiple sources around the world for a strong attack. For a server technician to properly diagnose, they will need to record the incoming IP addresses and filter them at the router level so that they never reach the server. A good attacker will have it coming from worldwide and from various IP subnets in order to keep the server down for as long as possible before the techs can lock out all the offenders.