PDA

View Full Version : Mini nuclear plants to power 20,000 homes

Nukeman
11-09-2008, 10:52 AM
I have to say this is absolutely amazing. If our government doesn't jump on this there will be NO doubt in my mind they are more than in bed with the oil industry. I will assume they have dirty pictures and all.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2008/nov/09/miniature-nuclear-reactors-los-alamos

Nuclear power plants smaller than a garden shed and able to power 20,000 homes will be on sale within five years, say scientists at Los Alamos, the US government laboratory which developed the first atomic bomb.

The miniature reactors will be factory-sealed, contain no weapons-grade material, have no moving parts and will be nearly impossible to steal because they will be encased in concrete and buried underground.

The US government has licensed the technology to Hyperion, a New Mexico-based company which said last week that it has taken its first firm orders and plans to start mass production within five years. 'Our goal is to generate electricity for 10 cents a watt anywhere in the world,' said John Deal, chief executive of Hyperion. 'They will cost approximately $25m [£13m] each. For a community with 10,000 households, that is a very affordable $250 per home.'

Deal claims to have more than 100 firm orders, largely from the oil and electricity industries, but says the company is also targeting developing countries and isolated communities. 'It's leapfrog technology,' he said.

The company plans to set up three factories to produce 4,000 plants between 2013 and 2023. 'We already have a pipeline for 100 reactors, and we are taking our time to tool up to mass-produce this reactor.'

here is a link to their web page.

http://www.hyperionpowergeneration.com/

some more links to show this is not just smoke and mirrors.

http://www.world-nuclear.org/info/inf33.html

http://www.nuclear.com/n-plants/index-Small_modulr_reactr.html

5stringJeff
11-10-2008, 08:37 AM
Awesome!!! :thumb:

Nukeman
11-11-2008, 08:42 AM
OK, its now on FOX news. kind of the same story but I would think that EVERY small town and underpopulated county in the US could use one of these and the cost is miniscule compared to a conventional electric generating company.....

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,449624,00.html

Sing me up, also the environmental people should be all over this!!!!:dance:

5stringJeff
11-11-2008, 08:59 AM
15 feet long by 10 feet wide is small enough to go in most people's backyard - literally. You could get a county to buy 10-20 of them, bury them around the county, and have cheap power for everyone. This is a wonderful idea!

retiredman
11-11-2008, 09:03 AM
great news. I am a big fan of safe nuclear power.

Nukeman
11-11-2008, 09:14 AM
15 feet long by 10 feet wide is small enough to go in most people's backyard - literally. You could get a county to buy 10-20 of them, bury them around the county, and have cheap power for everyone. This is a wonderful idea!
hell the county where I live there are only about 10,000 homes in the whole freaking thing. We could get by with one. that works out to $250 a house for energy. I would expect a monthly fee for upkeep but even at $25 dollars a month thats 2.5 million a month...... More than enough to maintain lines and service for a small community.....

No1tovote4
11-11-2008, 09:17 AM
Didn't Obama say that he "isn't a fan of" nuclear power? I don't think we'll get much use of it because it isn't magic and futuristic and it is already proven to work.

Obama's plan seems to be to reject any currently viable source of energy while promoting sources that aren't developed.

You know, "Change You can Believe In"...

No1tovote4
11-11-2008, 09:19 AM
hell the county where I live there are only about 10,000 homes in the whole freaking thing. We could get by with one. that works out to $250 a house for energy. I would expect a monthly fee for upkeep but even at $25 dollars a month thats 2.5 million a month...... More than enough to maintain lines and service for a small community.....
$25 per month is only 250,000 per month for your county.

Likely they would need a bond issue to buy it. Does your county use a coop?

5stringJeff
11-11-2008, 09:24 AM
My county has 92,000 citizens. Let's round that up to 100,000. That's five plants. If we bought six (so we could always have one in "reserve"), that's $150M. Over the lifetime of 10 years, that's $15M per year, which, divided by about 30,000 electric accounts would be $500/year, or about $40/month as a base charge for having all six plants. Not bad at all.

Nukeman
11-11-2008, 09:25 AM
$25 per month is only 250,000 per month for your county.

Likely they would need a bond issue to buy it. Does your county use a coop?
my bad, but still at 250,000 a month is a hell of a lot of money for just upkeep of lines! no not at this time I wish they did, our electric comopany sucks royaly. In fact i and a number of my neighbors had to issue PUC to get some much needed upgrades and work done.....

No1tovote4
11-11-2008, 09:44 AM
my bad, but still at 250,000 a month is a hell of a lot of money for just upkeep of lines! no not at this time I wish they did, our electric comopany sucks royaly. In fact i and a number of my neighbors had to issue PUC to get some much needed upgrades and work done.....
Well, you can fire your electric company and install your own power supply. What would benefit you even more is if you sold the excess to the former company at a profit for your county.