PDA

View Full Version : The Govinator wants gay ban repealed

gabosaurus
11-09-2008, 08:22 PM
I always knew Ah-nold was a good man at heart.
http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-protest10-2008nov10,0,4939340.story

darin
11-09-2008, 08:33 PM
Yeah! Screw the will of the People!! The COURTS will tell them what's right and wrong!!

gabosaurus
11-09-2008, 08:35 PM
Ah-nold is a Republican, by the way.

YamiB.
11-09-2008, 08:38 PM
Yeah! Screw the will of the People!! The COURTS will tell them what's right and wrong!!

Speaking of which I'm hopeful that the pending court case in California will overturn the unjust action that the people took.

11-09-2008, 08:41 PM
who cares? the people spoke.

11-09-2008, 08:41 PM
Speaking of which I'm hopeful that the pending court case in California will overturn the unjust action that the people took.

Yeah. Screw Freedom!

gabosaurus
11-09-2008, 08:43 PM
Yeah. Screw Freedom!

The freedom of a lot of people has already been screwed. They want it back.

11-09-2008, 08:50 PM

No it hasnt. The people have spoken. You force them against their will and then you are taking away their freedom. What the hell is the point of a representative government if your politicians are going to flip you off?

YamiB.
11-09-2008, 08:52 PM
Yeah. Screw Freedom!

Oh noes no freedom to give unequal treatment to homosexuals.

It seems they may have a valid case. It does make sense that they would have to use the more stringent method of amending the constitution to take away rights of the minority. The minority requires some kind of protection against the majority.

No it hasnt. The people have spoken. You force them against their will and then you are taking away their freedom. What the hell is the point of a representative government if your politicians are going to flip you off?

So it should always just be left up to the general populace how the minorities are treated? I wonder how long we have needed to wait for some civil rights gains in the past if this was how we ran the country.

hjmick
11-09-2008, 09:16 PM
Ah-nold is a Republican, by the way.

Arnold is as much a Republican as my dog is a watermelon.

5stringJeff
11-10-2008, 09:00 AM
How are the courts going to overturn an amendment to the state constitution?

LiberalNation
11-10-2008, 09:23 AM
By claiming the amendment wasn't added properly. Ie they cheated or skimped on some rules. That's the only way i can see it happening. Otherwise it doesn't seem the court would have any juristiction to do anything to overrule it.

YamiB.
11-10-2008, 10:39 AM
How are the courts going to overturn an amendment to the state constitution?

Apparently there are two ways that the Constitution can be amended in California. The easier way is for a simple majority vote like was done here. Then there are constitutional revisions, not sure about the specifics but it is apparently more stringent and has some involvement from the legislative branch. It seems that revisions must be used for changes that would have far reaching consequences or something like that.

Obviously I'm not so up on the specifics, but basically they're arguing that the wrong method was used here so the proposition is invalid.

MtnBiker
11-10-2008, 10:54 AM
Perhaps California should just do away with elections and let judges decide everything.

Trigg
11-10-2008, 11:08 AM

What freedom was taken away exactly?????

Gay couples have the same rights as married couples in California. The only thing they want, that they don't already have, is the right to be legally married.

The people want Marriage to be between a MAN and a WOMAN. You new VP agreed with this in a debate with Palin, if you remember correctly.

stephanie
11-10-2008, 11:15 AM
the people of Cal-i-forn-a should remove the Gov-i-nator from office..let the Kennedys have him back..

KitchenKitten99
11-10-2008, 11:29 AM
Gays have the same rights as straights. A man cannot marry another man, regardless of sexual orientation.

I am not gay, and I still cannot marry a woman.

So to say that gays want equal rights is a farce. They have just as much right as a straight person to marry anyone of their choosing, so long as that person they choose is of opposite gender at the time of marriage. A straight person can't marry someone of the same gender either.

Hull
11-10-2008, 01:33 PM
Well if the majority vote means nothing, then Obama isn't President elect right? Or liberals only want to apply that reasoning when it's in accordance with their agenda.

stephanie
11-10-2008, 01:35 PM
Well if the majority vote means nothing, then Obama isn't President elect right? Or liberals only want to apply that reasoning when it's in accordance with their agenda.

yeppers...:clap:

April15
11-10-2008, 04:59 PM
Arnold was explaining that the proposition was not put on the ballot properly to become an amendment to our constitution. To have a proposition be qualified for amendment status it must come from the state legislature with a 2/3 majority vote.
Also the proposition is unconstitutional on its face as it denies equal rights a long held tenant of the federal constitution.

manu1959
11-10-2008, 07:33 PM
Arnold was explaining that the proposition was not put on the ballot properly to become an amendment to our constitution. To have a proposition be qualified for amendment status it must come from the state legislature with a 2/3 majority vote.
Also the proposition is unconstitutional on its face as it denies equal rights a long held tenant of the federal constitution.

not really....as fuzzy pointed out straight people can't mary within their own sex same as gay people....

either group in california can go fill out the paperwork and have a "civil union " with all the rights they could want.....

darin
11-10-2008, 07:34 PM

Liberals love doing that crap...when their lame-ass position loses they insult the intelligence of the voters. Again, are you daft? Right now homos have THE SAME RIGHTS as Normal people. IF anyone wants to marry (gay or not-mentally ill) they must choose somebody of the opposite sex. Same-same.

April15
11-10-2008, 07:35 PM
not really....as fuzzy pointed out straight people can't mary within their own sex same as gay people....

either group in california can go fill out the paperwork and have a "civil union " with all the rights they could want.....You and I may feel this way but some don't.

manu1959
11-10-2008, 07:38 PM
You and I may feel this way but some don't.

the three gay couples i had dinner with the other night made this argument to me......

Yurt
11-10-2008, 08:02 PM
how can gay people have the same rights when civil unions do not grant the same rights as marriage. for starters, federal law treats marriage different from civil unions. if a marriage is defined as a contract, why is it that some cannot make that contract? if people can get married in vegas at some jukebox wedding stand with not a thought that this union has anything at all to do with god, or if members from a satanic cult can get married, is marriage (under the law) truly sacrosanct?

YamiB.
11-11-2008, 10:00 AM
To all of the people saying that they have the same rights I'll assume you thought it was fine when interracial marriage was banned because everybody had the same marriage rights?

5stringJeff
11-11-2008, 11:06 AM
To all of the people saying that they have the same rights I'll assume you thought it was fine when interracial marriage was banned because everybody had the same marriage rights?

No. Race is genetically determined and cannot be changed. Homosexual behavior is a choice.

Yurt
11-11-2008, 12:35 PM
No. Race is genetically determined and cannot be changed. Homosexual behavior is a choice.

so then it should be no problem if the same sex want to marry but not commit "homosexual" behavior?

retiredman
11-11-2008, 12:36 PM

I think that is an opinion and not fact.

11-11-2008, 12:41 PM
I think that is an opinion and not fact.

Its not opinion. I am sick and tired of you liberals trying to excuse your actions. its always someone elses fault. Its natures. Its those evil oppressors. Its always someone elses fault that your life sucks.

Grow up. Because if you dont our society is going to destroy itself because people keep excusing themselves from making choices

crin63
11-11-2008, 12:50 PM
I say lets repeal the Govinator!