PDA

View Full Version : Obama favors stem cell research

gabosaurus
11-09-2008, 08:28 PM
Thank God we will finally have a president who values common sense and the power of medical science over religious extremism.
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/news/nation/stories/111008dnpolreview.e34e75.html

Kathianne
11-09-2008, 08:31 PM
Thank God we will finally have a president who values common sense and the power of medical science over religious extremism.
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/news/nation/stories/111008dnpolreview.e34e75.html

Yes, using 'signing statements' you know, that executive power that bypasses Congress? Indeed, several liberal members became all enraged over that power, thought it should be rescinded. ;)

retiredman
11-09-2008, 08:33 PM
Yes, using 'signing statements' you know, that executive power that bypasses Congress? Indeed, several liberal members became all enraged over that power, thought it should be rescinded. ;)

newsflash: "executive orders" and "signing statements" are two entirely differnent things.

Kathianne
11-09-2008, 08:39 PM
newsflash: "executive orders" and "signing statements" are two entirely differnent things.

Uh huh.

retiredman
11-09-2008, 08:41 PM
Uh huh.

what??? do you think they are????

gabosaurus
11-09-2008, 08:42 PM
Can we keep on topic, please?
MFM, I know you like to throw shit around, but please try to stay on topic.

retiredman
11-09-2008, 08:47 PM
Can we keep on topic, please?
MFM, I know you like to throw shit around, but please try to stay on topic.

the topic at hand is Obama's plans to rescind Bush executive orders banning stem cell research....which I wholeheartedly endorse! Kathianne wants to somehow conflate executive orders with signing statements. Democrats were upset at Bush's rampant use of signing statements. No one has ever said that, as president, he misused his authority to issue executive orders. and no one should confuse Obama's lawful right to rescind many of those executive orders with Bush's abuse of signing statements.

PostmodernProphet
11-10-2008, 06:02 AM

you can't get much more extreme than wanting to offer human sacrifice to Science in hopes It will bless you with cures for diseases.....I don't like your religion.....

Psychoblues
11-10-2008, 06:09 AM
The ignorance is astounding.

you can't get much more extreme than wanting to offer human sacrifice to Science in hopes It will bless you with cures for diseases.....I don't like your religion.....

Biology just fucks up the nuts. Always has and always will.

God Bless America!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I Just Want To Celebrate!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:salute::beer::clap::laugh2::beer::salute:

Psychoblues

PostmodernProphet
11-10-2008, 07:51 AM
Biology just fucks up the nuts. Always has and always will.

agreed....I noticed right away it was one of your failings....

Psychoblues
11-10-2008, 08:12 AM
And what failing was that, numbnuts?

agreed....I noticed right away it was one of your failings....

Are you afraid of the answer or are you just kidding?

God Bless America!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I Just Want To Celebrate!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Psychoblues

PostmodernProphet
11-10-2008, 09:42 AM
I know the answer....I'm just waiting for the liberals to catch up.....

No1tovote4
11-10-2008, 09:46 AM
To destroy life in order to save life is only the first step in doublethink. War is Peace, Love is Hate, Freedom is Slavery... I hear the drums of Ingsoc's Hate Week already...

Kathianne
11-10-2008, 09:51 AM
To destroy life in order to save life is only the first step in doublethink. War is Peace, Love is Hate, Freedom is Slavery... I hear the drums of Ingsoc's Hate Week already...

Did you finish the latest reading? I used the novel 2 years ago, the kids loved it, I was haunted. Still am. ;)

5stringJeff
11-10-2008, 09:53 AM
the topic at hand is Obama's plans to rescind Bush executive orders banning stem cell research....which I wholeheartedly endorse! Kathianne wants to somehow conflate executive orders with signing statements. Democrats were upset at Bush's rampant use of signing statements. No one has ever said that, as president, he misused his authority to issue executive orders. and no one should confuse Obama's lawful right to rescind many of those executive orders with Bush's abuse of signing statements.

MFM, you are correct as far as signing statements and executive orders are concerned. However, I disagree about the policy of using embryonic stem cells for any type of research when adult stem cells are working just as well. I also have an issue with the President (whoever he is) using executive orders to bypass the legislative process (a different issue than using signing statements to state which parts of a law a President will or won't enforce).

Psychoblues
11-10-2008, 10:10 AM
This is a wedge issue that needs a hearing out.

MFM, you are correct as far as signing statements and executive orders are concerned. However, I disagree about the policy of using embryonic stem cells for any type of research when adult stem cells are working just as well. I also have an issue with the President (whoever he is) using executive orders to bypass the legislative process (a different issue than using signing statements to state which parts of a law a President will or won't enforce).

The "stem cells" in question are not human beings. They are petri dish creations that will be unashamedly discarded/destroyed upon a predetermined expiration date. If science can use them for the research and development of cures and/or treatments of otherwise incurable diseases of the truly living there is no argument other than knee jerk ridiculous nonsensical ones of a particular ignorant sliver of the American population. I say bring the issue to a national vote!!!!!!!!!!!! Whoooooops!!!!!!!!! We just did and Barack Obama is definitely in favor of stem cell research and human health wise propagation!!!!!!!!!!!!!

God Bless America!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I Just Want To Celebrate!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Psychoblues

Get over it, dumbos!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

namvet
11-10-2008, 10:35 AM
And what failing was that, numbnuts?

Are you afraid of the answer or are you just kidding?

God Bless America!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I Just Want To Celebrate!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Psychoblues

he's asking if your parents had any children that lived

PostmodernProphet
11-10-2008, 11:15 AM
The "stem cells" in question are not human beings.

obviously not....but the embryos that died so you can harvest those stem cells were........

PostmodernProphet
11-10-2008, 11:18 AM
he's asking if your parents had any children that lived

now now, no need to be nasty.....I am curious, however, if Psych was raised by a family that offered any of his siblings as a human sacrifice to prosperity....perhaps he owes his survival to a sacrificed brother or sister.....that would explain his commitment to continuing the practice....

Yurt
11-10-2008, 12:56 PM
you can get stem cells from non embryo sources

manu1959
11-10-2008, 04:30 PM
name the first president to provide federal funding to stem cell research....

No1tovote4
11-10-2008, 04:31 PM
name the first president to provide federal funding to stem cell research....
George W. Bush

manu1959
11-10-2008, 04:34 PM
George W. Bush

want to bet obama gets credit for it.....

diuretic
11-11-2008, 03:18 AM
now now, no need to be nasty.....I am curious, however, if Psych was raised by a family that offered any of his siblings as a human sacrifice to prosperity....perhaps he owes his survival to a sacrificed brother or sister.....that would explain his commitment to continuing the practice....

Ad hominem there PMP - also an embryonic stem cell isn't a human so it can't can't the classification of "brother or sister".

Human sacrifice is generally frowned on nowadays.

PostmodernProphet
11-11-2008, 05:18 AM
Ad hominem there PMP - also an embryonic stem cell isn't a human so it can't can't the classification of "brother or sister".

Human sacrifice is generally frowned on nowadays.

bullshit....the embryo that the stem cell is harvested from isn't a turtle, it's a human....you can argue all you want whether it is entitled to the same rights as a birthed child, but if you try to pretend it's something other than human you only present yourself as totally ignorant of biology......

thus a human dies so science can have a stem cell to experiment on.....one segment of American society frowns on human sacrifice, another demands it.....

you want to wear the badge, at least wear it proudly.....don't hide behind some pseudo-scientific camouflage......

diuretic
11-11-2008, 06:23 AM
bullshit....the embryo that the stem cell is harvested from isn't a turtle, it's a human....you can argue all you want whether it is entitled to the same rights as a birthed child, but if you try to pretend it's something other than human you only present yourself as totally ignorant of biology......

thus a human dies so science can have a stem cell to experiment on.....one segment of American society frowns on human sacrifice, another demands it.....

you want to wear the badge, at least wear it proudly.....don't hide behind some pseudo-scientific camouflage......

Can the embryo be registered as a human being?

PostmodernProphet
11-11-2008, 07:57 AM
Can the embryo be registered as a human being?

it can be identified as a human through DNA testing.....so unless you intend to change the phrase to human being sacrifice, instead of human sacrifice please sign this receipt acknowledging you have lost the argument.....thank you very much and may we meet again.....:cheers2: