PDA

View Full Version : Obama seen as "gun snatcher"

gabosaurus
11-09-2008, 08:32 PM
Coming up next: 72-hour waiting period to buy guns and a national registration data bank.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/07/us/07guns.html?bl&ex=1226206800&en=ee78c130ae60871f&ei=5087%0A

stephanie
11-09-2008, 09:04 PM
it's only just begun..

enjoy your freedoms while you still have them..

hjmick
11-09-2008, 09:12 PM
I would embrace a 72 hour waiting period, as it is, I have eight more days before I pick up my Ruger. Ten day waiting period, what a crock. As for a national registry, to hell with that. There is no reason the federal government needs to know if a person owns a gun. Unless of course they want to confiscate them.

Psychoblues
11-09-2008, 09:28 PM
Who gives a rat's ass what some obviously idiotic gun shop owner in Houston has to say, gabby?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?! Obama hasn't articulated anything like that, not that he wouldn't have my support if he did, and what that store owner thinks is happening in his own mind and articulated poorly at best. Sounds like talking so some of these folks right here on DP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Additional steps in gun control are not "gun snatching" as you and the other idiot imply.

stephanie
11-09-2008, 09:31 PM
it's the step towards gun snatching, and you damn well know it is..

and the American people know it..

Mr. P
11-09-2008, 09:34 PM
I would embrace a 72 hour waiting period, as it is, I have eight more days before I pick up my Ruger. Ten day waiting period, what a crock. As for a national registry, to hell with that. There is no reason the federal government needs to know if a person owns a gun. Unless of course they want to confiscate them.

A ten day waiting period?!!!! Instant FBI/state background check here, in an out in 30 minutes if ya know what ya want.

Mr. P
11-09-2008, 09:38 PM
Who gives a rat's ass what some obviously idiotic gun shop owner in Houston has to say, gabby?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?! Obama hasn't articulated anything like that, not that he wouldn't have my support if he did, and what that store owner thinks is happening in his own mind and articulated poorly at best. Sounds like talking so some of these folks right here on DP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Additional steps in gun control are not "gun snatching" as you and the other idiot imply.

God Bless America!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

I Just Want To Celebrate!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:salute::beer::clap::laugh2::beer::salute:

Curious, PB. what additional gun control would you like to see and why?

Psychoblues
11-09-2008, 10:02 PM
We need to do a better job of keeping guns out of the hands of criminals for obvious reasons. We need to do a better job of keeping guns out of the hands of unqualified children for equally obvious considerations.

Curious, PB. what additional gun control would you like to see and why?

We need to do a better job of keeping guns out of the hands of clearly insane people, people that have ill intent and people that demonstrate a propensity to use the gun for purposes other than as previously demonstrated by our population as acceptable reasons for handling or using one. There are many reasons not to sell or allow guns to be released into the hands of literally millions of people. Just recently we had a thread or two here about some nut that put an Uzi into the hands of an 8 year old who subsequently lost control of it and killed himself. Idiots are everywhere and a lot of them are licensed, don't you know?!?!?!???!?!?!?!?!???!

I am a gun owner and I own lots of guns. I am a respector of gun rights and a member of the NRA. I think the NRA, however, is a bit too kneejerky in their reactions to proposed legislation that is designed for public safety considerations.

What do you have on your mind, cowgirl?!??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!??!?!?!?!?!

-Cp
11-09-2008, 11:00 PM
We need to do a better job of keeping guns out of the hands of criminals for obvious reasons. We need to do a better job of keeping guns out of the hands of unqualified children for equally obvious considerations.

We need to do a better job of keeping guns out of the hands of clearly insane people, people that have ill intent and people that demonstrate a propensity to use the gun for purposes other than as previously demonstrated by our population as acceptable reasons for handling or using one. There are many reasons not to sell or allow guns to be released into the hands of literally millions of people. Just recently we had a thread or two here about some nut that put an Uzi into the hands of an 8 year old who subsequently lost control of it and killed himself. Idiots are everywhere and a lot of them are licensed, don't you know?!?!?!???!?!?!?!?!???!

I am a gun owner and I own lots of guns. I am a respector of gun rights and a member of the NRA. I think the NRA, however, is a bit too kneejerky in their reactions to proposed legislation that is designed for public safety considerations.

Creating new laws will never keep guns out of the hands of those intent on doing others harm - it simply creates more victims who aren't able to defend themselves.

Mr. P
11-09-2008, 11:01 PM

What do you have on your mind, cowgirl?!??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!??!?!?!?!?!

God Bless America!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I Just Want To Celebrate!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So what do you propose?

Psychoblues
11-09-2008, 11:10 PM
That is mostly a lie told by the most weak and argumentative of the pro gun types. I am a pro gun type but I have never had occasion to repeat the lies of the weak ones.

Creating new laws will never keep guns out of the hands of those intent on doing others harm - it simply creates more victims who aren't able to defend themselves.

Get an education, Cp. Surely there is a library somewhere that you could get a good start in, if you are so inclined.

Sitarro
11-09-2008, 11:15 PM
That is mostly a lie told by the most weak and argumentative of the pro gun types. I am a pro gun type but I have never had occasion to repeat the lies of the weak ones.

Get an education, Cp. Surely there is a library somewhere that you could get a good start in, if you are so inclined.

Alla Bless America!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I Just Want To get drunk!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The skinny little basketball playing chimp isn't going to get away with stealing our guns, he's a punk that really needs to go ahead and come out of the closet and admit that he is scared shitless of real men that are armed.

Psychoblues
11-09-2008, 11:16 PM
A comprehensive approach to gun safety, gun sales and use of firearms with at least moderate regulation and responsible enforcement.

So what do you propose?

Do you think I could give you anything comprehensive from a macro sense in one of these DP posts?

I answered as best and as simply as I could. Obviously you still have some heartburn. Have you considered Alka Seltzer?!??!?????!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Mr. P
11-09-2008, 11:25 PM
A comprehensive approach to gun safety, gun sales and use of firearms with at least moderate regulation and responsible enforcement.

Do you think I could give you anything comprehensive from a macro sense in one of these DP posts?

I answered as best and as simply as I could. Obviously you still have some heartburn. Have you considered Alka Seltzer?!??!?????!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

God Bless America!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!

I Just Want To Celebrate!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That already exists so what's yer beef?

Try Tums...they work pretty well...most of the time.

Psychoblues
11-09-2008, 11:46 PM
Current gun control and enforcement methodologies are obviously flawed and ill written and carried out for today's society, P.

That already exists so what's yer beef?

Try Tums...they work pretty well...most of the time.

I do Prevacid twice a day, thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bullypulpit
11-09-2008, 11:58 PM
Personally, I consider gun control to mean using both hands. If I even thought that obama was going to take my guns away or keeping me from buying others, I never would have voted for him.

That being said, I see no problem with a 72 hour waiting period or a ban on assault weapons. You don't need an AK-47 on full auto to go deer hunting. My Remington Model 700 does quite nicely.

Yurt
11-10-2008, 12:47 AM

God Bless America!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

I Just Want To Celebrate!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:lol:

the robotic moron makes booboo, like your buddy

http://www.londonstimes.us/toons/cartoons/osama_bin_stupid.gif

Psychoblues
11-10-2008, 12:54 AM
Do you have a point to make or are you just jacking off again, yuk?

5stringJeff
11-10-2008, 09:29 AM
First, with today's technology and the ability to do instant background checks, there is no need for any waiting period for any weapons purchase.

Second, I don't blame people for buying mroe guns ahead of Obama's inauguration. Obviously, people don't trust Obama with their gun rights.

LiberalNation
11-10-2008, 09:41 AM
Waiting periods are simply an inconvience but if someone isn't willing to endure that inconvience for a gun are they really the type that needs one. It prevents spontanous actions, I'm pissed as hell so I'm going to go buy a gun and kill those fuckers. It gives time to think things through and doubt to arise.

Psychoblues
11-10-2008, 09:46 AM
Kill 'em, LN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Waiting periods are simply an inconvience but if someone isn't willing to endure that inconvience for a gun are they really the type that needs one. It prevents spontanous actions, I'm pissed as hell so I'm going to go buy a gun and kill those fuckers. It gives time to think things through and doubt to arise.

I'll be a character witness for you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Psychoblues

5stringJeff
11-10-2008, 09:50 AM

Actually, it prevents people from getting guns for self defense when they need them most. I've read several stories about women who were murdered or assaulted because they couldn't get a gun to defend themselves against ex-boyfriends who were breaking restraining orders.

LOki
11-10-2008, 10:15 AM

I am a gun owner and I own lots of guns. I am a respector of gun rights and a member of the NRA. I think the NRA, however, is a bit too kneejerky in their reactions to proposed legislation that is designed for public safety considerations.It is just as obvious that prohibitions on gun ownership, gun registration, owner licensing, and waiting periods simply do not keep guns out of the hands of criminals, children or the insane, and that these steps are not designed to do so. I see no knee-jerk oppostion to any legislation that is actually designed for public safety considerations, from the NRA--perhaps you'd like to show me what I'm missing.

namvet
11-10-2008, 10:25 AM
Coming up next: 72-hour waiting period to buy guns and a national registration data bank.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/07/us/07guns.html?bl&ex=1226206800&en=ee78c130ae60871f&ei=5087%0A

good. they'll be knocking your door down with a sledge hammer. warrent ??? they never heard of it. badges ????

VqomZQMZQCQ :coffee:

Psychoblues
11-11-2008, 04:09 PM
It's not so much the knee jerking of the NRA, I suppose, LOki, but mostly some of their more ignorant members and spokespeople.

It is just as obvious that prohibitions on gun ownership, gun registration, owner licensing, and waiting periods simply do not keep guns out of the hands of criminals, children or the insane, and that these steps are not designed to do so. I see no knee-jerk oppostion to any legislation that is actually designed for public safety considerations, from the NRA--perhaps you'd like to show me what I'm missing.

Your implication that gun control measures have had no positive effect, however, is patently false. But, I agree with many that additional measures and consequences of violations should be considered and legislated immediately if not sooner.

I still have the same firearms that I've had since the '60s and many more since then. I don't have a problem at all with responsible firearm ownership and use. I do believe, however, that what small changes that have been made in the purchases and uses of my firearms have been adequately and generally well debated and legislated. Obviously the legislation continues to be flawed and additional measures are definitely in order.

Psychoblues

theHawk
11-11-2008, 05:23 PM
Personally, I consider gun control to mean using both hands. If I even thought that obama was going to take my guns away or keeping me from buying others, I never would have voted for him.

That being said, I see no problem with a 72 hour waiting period or a ban on assault weapons. You don't need an AK-47 on full auto to go deer hunting. My Remington Model 700 does quite nicely.

The second Amendment has nothing to do with hunting.

A full auto AK-47 is a hell of a lot more usefull against home invaders than a bolt-action rifle.

Mr. P
11-11-2008, 05:25 PM

Buy a $10 baseball bat..hit em hard at the base of the skull...as effective as a gun, dead is dead and no waiting period. That's if yer the perp..now if you need defense from said perp choose a gun WITHOUT a waiting period.

It's not so much the knee jerking of the NRA, I suppose, LOki, but mostly some of their more ignorant members and spokespeople.

Your implication that gun control measures have had no positive effect, however, is patently false. But, I agree with many that additional measures and consequences of violations should be considered and legislated immediately if not sooner.

I still have the same firearms that I've had since the '60s and many more since then. I don't have a problem at all with responsible firearm ownership and use. I do believe, however, that what small changes that have been made in the purchases and uses of my firearms have been adequately and generally well debated and legislated. Obviously the legislation continues to be flawed and additional measures are definitely in order.

God Bless America!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I Just Want To Celebrate!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Psychoblues
Ain't gonna work, PB. Legislate on guns all ya want and yer still missing the target...it's over there in the Judicial system which hands out the penalties for crime..I've never known a gun to commit a crime, have you?

hjmick
11-11-2008, 05:38 PM
now if you need defense from said perp choose a gun WITHOUT a waiting period.

No such animal in California.

Mr. P
11-11-2008, 05:57 PM
No such animal in California.

I know Communofornia, right?

hjmick
11-11-2008, 06:03 PM
I know Communofornia, right?

Yep, and I am chomping at the bit to get out!

I'm using the Brady web site to pick the next state I live in. The states with their lowest approval ratings are at the top of my list.

LOki
11-12-2008, 01:30 PM
Your implication that gun control measures have had no positive effect, . . .I've made no such implications; I made explicit assertions regarding specific kinds of regulation.

. . . however, is patently false.Show me then.

But, I agree with many that additional measures and consequences of violations should be considered and legislated immediately if not sooner.But the regulations punish the law abiding, rather than the law breaking--the punishment is to make it burdensome to be law abiding.

I still have the same firearms that I've had since the '60s and many more since then.I would like to preserve this.

I don't have a problem at all with responsible firearm ownership and use.No sensible person does.

I do believe, however, that what small changes that have been made in the purchases and uses of my firearms have been adequately and generally well debated and legislated.Oh? What did you do to deserve having you right to keep and bear arms infringed? What is it about your keeping and bearing of arms that makes all this legislation neccesary and so sensible?

Obviously the legislation continues to be flawed and additional measures are definitely in order.Legislation flawed on it premises should simply be recinded.

5stringJeff
11-12-2008, 08:17 PM
Yep, and I am chomping at the bit to get out!

I'm using the Brady web site to pick the next state I live in. The states with their lowest approval ratings are at the top of my list.

Oklahoma and Kentucky are tied for "best."

Binky
11-13-2008, 04:53 AM
The criminals will be happy as hell if and when that one happens. Nothing they'd love to see more than the people not allowed to have guns. They, on the other hand, can get them anytime they want one. So gun laws aren't to stop the crooks from getting guns, but to take the right to own them away from the rest of us.

It isn't the gun that's doing the killing. It's the asshole behind the trigger. And when the government takes away our guns, then it is free to step in and do to you whatever it wants.