PDA

View Full Version : Edwards to Continue ’08 Bid Despite Wife’s Cancer

mrg666
03-22-2007, 06:49 PM
CHAPEL HILL, N.C., March 22 — John Edwards, the Democratic candidate for president, said today that his wife Elizabeth Edwards was once again suffering from breast cancer, this time in an incurable form.

But in a joint news conference, he and Mrs. Edwards expressed confidence that the disease could be managed with treatment, and that there would be no interruption in his campaign for the Democratic nomination.

Mrs. Edwards said she was in little pain, and that she was maintaining a positive attitude and a full schedule of appearances on behalf of her husband’s candidacy.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/03/22/us/politics/22cnd-edwards.html?_r=1&hp&oref=slogin

LiberalNation
03-22-2007, 06:50 PM
Sad to hear about his wife. Best wishes to her and their family through what's gona be a rough time.

Yurt
03-22-2007, 07:47 PM
Publicity stunt. Sad.

LiberalNation
03-22-2007, 07:48 PM
You can't fake cancer, I doubt it's a publicity stunt.

Yurt
03-22-2007, 07:51 PM
Making it a public issue, is a publicity stunt. We are not talking about the facts of her cancer, we are talking about his shameless use of his wife's disease. He did the same thing in 04'. If it is not going to change his running status, why make this very private issue so public?

stephanie
03-22-2007, 08:00 PM
Making it a public issue, is a publicity stunt. We are not talking about the facts of her cancer, we are talking about his shameless use of his wife's disease. He did the same thing in 04'. If it is not going to change his running status, why make this very private issue so public?

My thoughts exactly..
I posted this in an earlier thread..

http://www.debatepolicy.com/showpost.php?p=29968&postcount=15

LiberalNation
03-22-2007, 08:00 PM
Now that I think about it you're probably right on this one. Not something that needed to be made such a big spectacle out of.

Yurt
03-22-2007, 08:09 PM
My thoughts exactly..
I posted this in an earlier thread..

http://www.debatepolicy.com/showpost.php?p=29968&postcount=15

Great minds think alike

Yurt
03-22-2007, 08:12 PM
Now that I think about it you're probably right on this one. Not something that needed to be made such a big spectacle out of.

Cherishes words, puts in pocket, walks blissfully into the sunset..:afro:

This is why I like you, you can see the truth when it is presented and have no problem saying it. This is what makes a great "debatepolicy" poster. IMHO.

Regardless of your stance, debatingpolicy requires intellectual honesty.

stephanie
03-22-2007, 08:17 PM
Cherishes words, puts in pocket, walks blissfully into the sunset..:afro:

This is why I like you, you can see the truth when it is presented and have no problem saying it. This is what makes a great "debatepolicy" poster. IMHO.

Regardless of your stance, debatingpolicy requires intellectual honesty.

:thumb:

I agree

Yurt
03-22-2007, 09:50 PM
Interesting, coming from a lib source:

Edwards: Wife's cancer returns, campaign goes on
http://www.cnn.com/2007/POLITICS/03/22/edwards.2008/index.html

Loser

Birdzeye
03-23-2007, 02:46 PM
Sad to hear about his wife. Best wishes to her and their family through what's gona be a rough time.

Yes, it is indeed sad, and I'm afraid I believe he should drop out of the race because of her illness. She has Stage IV metastatic cancer, incurable but treatable. Her chances of surviving five years are 50-50 at best.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/03/22/AR2007032201871.html

This means that her health could deteriorate during the upcoming campaigns and/or during his presidency, if he were to win the election.

Taking on a nationwide campaign, and possibly the presidency, seem stressful enough without the added stress of having a spouse with an incurable disease. Most people couldn't handle that much pressure.

loosecannon
03-23-2007, 05:38 PM

Because if he does run anyway it is gonna all happen in the public domain.

There is no way it could be covered up and obviously Edwards and his wife have the modicum of sense required to know that his supporters and the general public are served by hearing the unvarnished truth.

Shame on you, seriously.

03-24-2007, 12:37 AM
Because if he does run anyway it is gonna all happen in the public domain.

There is no way it could be covered up and obviously Edwards and his wife have the modicum of sense required to know that his supporters and the general public are served by hearing the unvarnished truth.

Shame on you, seriously.

While I agree that they knew they had to share the knowledge, the fact remains they are using it for political advantage.

We hear Democrats discussing what a brilliant political strategy Edwards is making and you say shame on any of us when we think thats rather disgusting? You have things backwards, it's their behavior thats sick.

Same thing happened when Senator Johnson had his illness strike. Republicans are sitting around wishing for him to get better despite his political affiliation and Democrats are running around worried that Republicans are going to get control of the Senate because of it. And somehow we are the evil ones.

Can you people forget politics for a few hours and actually think about the human lives?

Course not, its all politics to you guys. Even 9/11 it wasnt, how horrible the lives lost. No it's how horrible the lives lost with Bush in office so he gets an opportunity to shine.

This is exactly why Democrats make me sick sometimes.

Nuc
03-24-2007, 02:03 AM

C'mon it's a FACT not a stunt. And if that FACT came out and he didn't announce it you would probably call it a coverup and say he was irresponsible not to let the electorate know. Which would be true because we should be able to decide whether or not we think it would be too much of a distraction for him as candidate or president.

What an immature statement.

Gaffer
03-24-2007, 02:11 AM
The breck girl is a politician. Everything he does is for political advantage. His wifes cancer will be used to get the pity vote. She is political too and has as much to do with it as he does. And then he'll make curing cancer a part of his platform.

Nuc
03-24-2007, 06:25 AM
The breck girl is a politician. Everything he does is for political advantage. His wifes cancer will be used to get the pity vote. She is political too and has as much to do with it as he does. And then he'll make curing cancer a part of his platform.

Yeah right...........maybe the next thing is they'll get their kids to have sex with some AIDS infested junkies......as a political ploy. You guys are nuts. :lame2: :fu:

Hobbit
03-24-2007, 11:06 AM
Of course it's a fact, but I still think that Edwards will try to play up the sympathy card during the election. The guy's a real slimeball, and the only level I think he wouldn't sink to would be to make up the whole thing just for votes. I feel sorry for his wife, because I know what it's like to have cancer and I don't know how I'd feel if it ever came back. However, I think Edwards will try to use it to his advantage, and I KNOW that a lot of the liberals (mostly in the media) who seem to feel so bad about his wife having cancer don't give half a crap about anybody unless they think it will somehow advance their agenda. I know this, because when I explain that socialized health care would have killed me if we had it back in 1998, they tell me that that would be ok with them, so long as 'everybody got equal access to health care.' Then they follow up by telling me I would have died anyway if my parents hadn't been 'rich,' which somehow makes my life not matter. These very same people are the ones talking about how much they care about Mrs. Edwards. I call bullcrap.

03-24-2007, 04:33 PM
Yeah right...........maybe the next thing is they'll get their kids to have sex with some AIDS infested junkies......as a political ploy. You guys are nuts. :lame2: :fu:

Why are we nuts? The Democrats are already praising Edwards move as a brilliant political move. Why the heck shouldnt we be disgusted by their use of it as a political ploy?

Nuc
03-24-2007, 07:25 PM
Why are we nuts? The Democrats are already praising Edwards move as a brilliant political move. Why the heck shouldnt we be disgusted by their use of it as a political ploy?

So do you think he shouldn't have announced that his wife has cancer? Wouldn't that be a coverup? He only has two choices, make it public or not. Obviously making it public is the only reasonable move, so why whine about it? Clearly if he didn't announce it you'd be making the counterargument I just mentioned, so it's basically hot air.

They are politicians. That means everything they do is political in nature or has political ramifications. Nevertheless this is a family tragedy. I really doubt they are happy she has cancer because it might give them a political edge. Or are you so paranoid you think that's possible?

Dilloduck
03-24-2007, 07:28 PM
So do you think he shouldn't have announced that his wife has cancer? Wouldn't that be a coverup? He only has two choices, make it public or not. Obviously making it public is the only reasonable move, so why whine about it? Clearly if he didn't announce it you'd be making the counterargument I just mentioned, so it's basically hot air.

They are politicians. That means everything they do is political in nature or has political ramifications. Nevertheless this is a family tragedy. I really doubt they are happy she has cancer because it might give them a political edge. Or are you so paranoid you think that's possible?

Anything is possible with politicians.

Nuc
03-24-2007, 07:30 PM
Anything is possible with politicians.

Anything is possible with politicians of any stripe so why pretend like there's a Democratic conspiracy going on? It's just a woman with cancer. The cancer doesn't know the difference between right and left wing.

Dilloduck
03-24-2007, 07:33 PM
Anything is possible with politicians of any stripe so why pretend like there's a Democratic conspiracy going on? It's just a woman with cancer. The cancer doesn't know the difference between right and left wing.

Because that' what hyper-partisans do----accuse each other of everything

Nuc
03-24-2007, 07:37 PM
Because that' what hyper-partisans do----accuse each other of everything

LOL, well I guess I'm not partisan because I just think it's an unfortunate thing. I know you're joking but maybe one of the problems with America is the tendency to see everything in partisan terms. After all there is not really a huge difference between the Republican and Democratic parties, compared the the broader political spectrum available. They're both pretty bland.

Dilloduck
03-24-2007, 07:43 PM
LOL, well I guess I'm not partisan because I just think it's an unfortunate thing. I know you're joking but maybe one of the problems with America is the tendency to see everything in partisan terms. After all there is not really a huge difference between the Republican and Democratic parties, compared the the broader political spectrum available. They're both pretty bland.

Amen---Americans have lined themselves up like a couple of towns rooting for a football team, only meaner.

Gaffer
03-24-2007, 08:23 PM

That use to be the case. Now its a different world. The leftwing nut jobs have taken over the democtratic party. There are very few real democrats left.

03-25-2007, 06:18 PM

No. I have no problem with him announcing it. I have problem with the political games he is playing with it. I have a problem with liberals being mad at conservatives for being sick at the political games being played by it and then acting like we are the sick freaks playing the political games.