PDA

View Full Version : GOP A Dying Breed In New England

Psychoblues
11-09-2008, 10:25 PM
The doctors and researchers are working frantically to at least understand the causation and come up with a plan to reverse the trend. I would suggest they start with talking to people that reside there and understand more about the environment.

By SUSAN HAIGH, Associated Press Writer Susan Haigh, Associated Press Writer – Sun Nov 9, 1:55 pm ET

HARTFORD, Conn. – A generation ago the Republican Party was the dominant political force in New England, populating the region's congressional delegations with moderates like Connecticut's Lowell P. Weicker Jr. and Rhode Island's John Chafee.

But today's GOP, led by a more socially conservative wing of the party, is finding votes harder to come by.

Voters on Tuesday cast out Connecticut's veteran Rep. Chris Shays, the last New England Republican in the U.S. House of Representatives. Sen. John Sununu was voted out in New Hampshire, leaving that state's Judd Gregg and Maine's Susan Collins and Olympia Snowe as the only Republicans among the region's 12 senators.

Shays' loss to former Goldman Sachs executive Jim Himes marks the first time since 1969 that southwestern Connecticut will be represented by a Democrat in the House.

"I felt that we were going to win this, I really did," Shays told supporters. "I felt that people were so good to me, they were so nice to me. But they were deciding they were going to go the other way."

New England's decision to "go the other way" in recent elections is a dramatic transformation for a region considered a Republican stronghold a generation ago.

The Republican Party and New England have a long history together.......................................... ........

More: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081109/ap_on_el_ge/blue_new_england

Time alone didn't change this equation. Ignorant actions on the part of some very ignorant politicians changed the political observations and habits of New Englanders.

God Bless America!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I Just Want To Celebrate!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:salute::beer::clap::laugh2::beer::salute:

stephanie
11-10-2008, 10:06 AM
that is why that state and all the other states run by liberals are dying..

no big deal..

Psychoblues
11-11-2008, 03:40 PM
And what "state" would that be, sweetie?

that is why that state and all the other states run by liberals are dying..

no big deal..

Last I checked New England was a region, but I may be mistaken on that. I'll check with Sarah Palin on this one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

God Bless America!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I Just Want To Celebrate!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:salute::beer::clap::laugh2::beer::salute:

Psychoblues