PDA

View Full Version : Government provides record aid package to AIG

LiberalNation
11-10-2008, 02:32 PM
Wana bet they piss the money away and never pay it back.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081110/ap_on_bi_ge/aig_bailout;_ylt=Ap8.UB2xWLwDXcAghR4fXAwDW7oF

WASHINGTON – In a record bailout of a private company, the government on Monday provided a new $150 billion financial-rescue package to troubled insurance giant American International Group, including $40 billion for partial ownership.

The action, announced by the Federal Reserve and the Treasury Department, was taken as it became increasingly clear that an original financial lifeline thrown to AIG in September would be insufficient to stabilize the teetering company. All told, the moves boost aid to the company to more than $150 billion. Fed officials, however, expressed confidence that the money would be repaid to taxpayers.

The $40 billion infusion comes from the recently enacted $700 billion financial bailout package. The government is buying preferred shares of AIG stock, giving taxpayers an ownership stake in the company. In turn, restrictions will be placed on executive compensation at the firm.

As part of the new arrangement, the Federal Reserve is reducing a $85 billion loan it had made available to AIG to $60 billion. The Fed also is replacing a separate $37.8 billion loan to the insurance company with a $52.5 billion aid package.

The actions were needed to "keep the company strong and facilitate its ability to complete its restructuring process successfully," the Federal Reserve said.

bullypulpit
11-10-2008, 03:43 PM
I sent an e-mail to AIG asking if, simce I'm now a shre-holder I'll be getting a dividend check...they have yet to reply.

Personally...Break 'em up and sell off their assets like any other bankrupt citizen. After all corporations ARE persons under the law. If they're "Too big to allow to fail..." they're too big.

No1tovote4
11-10-2008, 03:50 PM
Yet people voted to send these same people back to Congress.

The world is right, America is stupid.

Kathianne
11-10-2008, 04:07 PM
Yet people voted to send these same people back to Congress.

The world is right, America is stupid.

yep, which is why I just strained myself to read the post. I know what it will say, bastards.