PDA

View Full Version : Sheriff to ban deputies from mixing drinking, guns

LiberalNation
11-11-2008, 10:46 AM
sounds like common sense.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081111/ap_on_re_us/drinking_deputies;_ylt=AtpDCGwu93qZhwkybaXDCXBvzwc F

LOS ANGELES – The sheriff of Los Angeles County plans to prohibit his off-duty deputies from carrying their guns while drinking because several have been accused in recent years of firing weapons while intoxicated.

Sheriff Lee Baca says there has been a disturbing rise in alcohol-fueled misbehavior among his deputies.

Since 2004, more than a dozen deputies have been accused of brandishing or shooting a gun while under the influence of alcohol. More than 60 have been arrested this year on alcohol-related charges, most for driving under the influence and most of them armed at the time.

The deputies' union opposes the restriction.

crin63
11-11-2008, 10:59 AM
The Sheriff has his own skeletons. He had or has to carry a plastic gun because he was involved in domestic violence.

I have 2 friends that are deputies and another friend who works very closely with many members of the department including the ones that responded to the domestic violence call.

LiberalNation
11-11-2008, 02:13 PM
then he prolly doesn't desearve to be sheriff. That doesn't make this rule not common sense. Guns, alcohol, and an authority complex don't mix well. Drunk people do stupid shit.

Immanuel
11-11-2008, 03:18 PM
The Sheriff has his own skeletons. He had or has to carry a plastic gun because he was involved in domestic violence.

I have 2 friends that are deputies and another friend who works very closely with many members of the department including the ones that responded to the domestic violence call.

A plastic gun! What the hell is the county thinking? That is a recipe for getting a sheriff killed. Putting him out there in a life or death situation with a toy gun! That is ridiculous! If he can't be trusted to carry a gun then he should be removed from office.

then he prolly doesn't desearve to be sheriff. That doesn't make this rule not common sense. Guns, alcohol, and an authority complex don't mix well. Drunk people do stupid shit.

Guns and alcohol period don't mix.

Even I know that.

Immie

crin63
11-11-2008, 03:27 PM
Mea Culpa, I didn't mean to imply that alcohol and shooting should ever go together. They shouldn't!

I just take anything comes out of his mouth as a joke.

He only needs to be armed for appearances, he's a politician.

Psychoblues
11-12-2008, 12:42 AM
I once had a drunken Air Force K-9 SP sic his dog on me. I killed the dog and whipped his ass before his buddies could break it up. My base commander laughed his ass off, put the SP in jail, busted him down to slick sleeve and immediately changed the base policy concerning off duty SP's working their dogs. I got an extra 3 day weekend out of the deal.

As far as drinking and handling firearms it just doesn't make any sense no matter who you are or what position you hold.

Psychoblues