PDA

View Full Version : Protesting and Proposition 8

hjmick
11-11-2008, 11:20 AM
As we all know by now, Californians overwhelmingly passed Proposition 8, an amendment to the state constitution banning gay marriage. We all also know that the Mormon Church was instrumental in funding the support for Proposition 8. The discussion regarding the proposition passing has centered on, for the most part, on the support from the LDS or the bigotry of California voters. The protesters have been targeting the LDS churches in the state, which is understandable, to a point. After all, they bankrolled the lion's share of the effort to get it on the ballot and get it passed. I get this.

The thing is though, the Mormon vote alone would not have, even remotely, been enough to get this proposition passed. Exit polling has indicated that it was the Black and Hispanic vote, not Whites and not Mormons, that pushed Proposition 8 over the top.

To me, this begs the question...

Why are the folks up in arms over the passage of Prop 8 not protesting the First AME Church in South Central Los Angeles? Why are they not seen marching in front of the churches in East L.A.? Why are they ignoring the people who supported the measure more than any other groups in the state?

Immanuel
11-11-2008, 11:26 AM
As we all know by now, Californians overwhelmingly passed Proposition 8, an amendment to the state constitution banning gay marriage. We all also know that the Mormon Church was instrumental in funding the support for Proposition 8. The discussion regarding the proposition passing has centered on, for the most part, on the support from the LDS or the bigotry of California voters. The protesters have been targeting the LDS churches in the state, which is understandable, to a point. After all, they bankrolled the lion's share of the effort to get it on the ballot and get it passed. I get this.

The thing is though, the Mormon vote alone would not have, even remotely, been enough to get this proposition passed. Exit polling has indicated that it was the Black and Hispanic vote, not Whites and not Mormons, that pushed Proposition 8 over the top.

To me, this begs the question...

Why are the folks up in arms over the passage of Prop 8 not protesting the First AME Church in South Central Los Angeles? Why are they not seen marching in front of the churches in East L.A.? Why are they ignoring the people who supported the measure more than any other groups in the state?

Because the people in East L.A. have guns and are not afraid to use them. :D

Immie

crin63
11-11-2008, 11:32 AM
Because they know where their ranting will have the most impact. They want it to look like its just a bunch of White Evangelical Bigots who supported the proposition. If it's people of color then they cant claim bigotry.

We still have our, "Yes on 8" signs up at my church.

Little-Acorn
11-11-2008, 11:41 AM
As we all know by now, Californians overwhelmingly passed Proposition 8,
52% to 48% is "overwhelming"?

Because their goal has never been to persuade people they were right. Rather, their goal is to use the force of government to impose their agenda on people, whether those people like it or not.

If they can convince enough people that their opponents are "evil" (you know, those Mormons are weird anyway, they deserve this), they figure they can get votes regardless of whether their own cause is defensible or not.

hjmick
11-11-2008, 11:49 AM
52% to 48% is "overwhelming"?

In California, on this topic, yeah, I think so. But you are right, perhaps "overwhelming" is a bit of a stretch. Then again, this is the second time such a measure has passed in the state. I was sure it would fail and fail spectacularly. I was wrong.

11-11-2008, 12:04 PM
Thought id share some pictures from the protests which ive seen online

11-11-2008, 12:06 PM
more pictures

11-11-2008, 12:07 PM
These are really nice people

11-11-2008, 12:08 PM
just for fun

gabosaurus
11-11-2008, 12:10 PM
Why the portrayal of East Los Angeles as violent? My sister lives there. It is no more violent than any other area. I allow my daughter to stay overnight there.
There have been protests though. A couple of churches that supported prop 8 had their Sunday services interrupted by gay couples kissing. But there has been no violence so far.

Binky
11-11-2008, 12:27 PM
Either way you slice it from either end of the loaf, it's all very ugly. Hate is rampant and seems to be getting worse. Lovely!

Yurt
11-11-2008, 12:37 PM
just for fun

i really hope that with the dems basically in charge, that society will shift away from this double standard...it is ok for the left to hate, but the right must accept everyone. i think it may shift when society sees exactly what it means to have a more liberal country, france once thought it would be a good idea to ban the bible...

11-11-2008, 12:39 PM
Either way you slice it from either end of the loaf, it's all very ugly. Hate is rampant and seems to be getting worse. Lovely!

Im not seeing the hate against the no for prop 8 people. Not sure how its ugly on both ends.

Trigg
11-11-2008, 12:44 PM
Close minded white people are the "safe" group to go after.

The media would look down on groups of mostly white gays marching in predominantly black and hispanic neighborhoods.

crin63
11-11-2008, 12:45 PM
I thought with all the marketing help that they have gotten over the years they would be smarter than his. I see they have reverted back to their strategy of the early to mid 90's.

I have several friends that went up to San Francisco to support a church that was under attack from the passive and gentle gay community. As the church goers were going into their church the gays would threaten to rape the children and the women.

11-11-2008, 12:47 PM
I thought with all the marketing help that they have gotten over the years they would be smarter than his. I see they have reverted back to their strategy of the early to mid 90's.

I have several friends that went up to San Francisco to support a church that was under attack from the passive and gentle gay community. As the church goers were going into their church the gays would threaten to rape the children and the women.

how can they rape women if women dont do anything for them?

crin63
11-11-2008, 01:05 PM
how can they rape women if women dont do anything for them?

It was a simple terror tactic they were employing.