PDA

View Full Version : Obama Administration Looking For 8,000 Good People

stephanie
11-11-2008, 08:44 PM
wtf?

Reporting
Deborah Garcia EAST VILLAGE (CBS) ― With more and more industries downsizing and laying employees off, it's getting tougher and tougher to find work.

But one place you can still find a job is with the federal government.

With the unemployment rate at 6.5 percent, and climbing, the search for a job is getting more and more difficult.

"A few weeks ago it was hard to find a job. No one was calling me back," said Darryl McCallum of the East Village.

"My position was eliminated and ...very challenging," added Khristee Rich of Ridgefield, Conn.

Diana Gruverman is the director of employer services at New York University and is advising students to get creative with their major.

"We're encouraging them to think outside the box, put their skills to good use," Gruverman said.

Besides keeping your options open, it's a good idea to network. The more people you know, the more people you'll be able to ask for a job.

"There is a whole job market out there," Gruverman said. "There's an opening internally."

Whether or not you supported Barack Obama before the election, now that he's the president-elect he can support you by giving you a job.

Obama's transition team is looking for about 8,000 employees and people are signing up on his Web site for applications.

Experts are predicting a grim 2009 and expect the unemployment rate to jump from 6.5 to 8 percent.

If you are being considered for a specific position with the Obama administration, know that your finances will be closely examined and you may also be subject to a background check by the FBI.

http://wcbstv.com/national/unemployment.obama.administration.2.861953.html

Yurt
11-11-2008, 09:09 PM
mother government will take care of us...but it appears you have to work for obama

Psychoblues
11-11-2008, 09:19 PM
It looks to me like the 8,000 or so will be replacing the 25,000 or so ideologues that will be leaving the federal employment roles in the next month or so. It really does take good people to run a good government!!!!!!!!!!! gwb never gave it a good chance to operate efficiently or effectively!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Psychoblues

darin
11-11-2008, 09:23 PM
If he'd make me a GS13, I'd go. :)

Psychoblues
11-11-2008, 09:36 PM
Quite unlike the present administration, dmp, I think the Obama administration will be in search of demonstrable qualifications. If you were willing to start as a GS 2 or maybe a GS 3 at the most I am certain you could with a little effort obtain employment for which you could prove yourself, fill a few squares and advance as you are able to demonstrate competency.

If he'd make me a GS13, I'd go. :)

Just for your information, however, the GS gigs are not ordinarily exempt positions. Political appointees rarely fill the type gig you seem to desire.

Psychoblues

darin
11-11-2008, 09:37 PM
LMAO.. :)

Hey...I'm already a gs12.

:D

Psychoblues
11-11-2008, 09:47 PM
Although I retired from a part of the government that didn't use GS designations I was equivalent to a GS 14 or 15 at the time of my retirement. I was also civil service but not in a GS classification. You weren't suckered into that FERS program were you?!?!?!?!?!?!

LMAO.. :)

Hey...I'm already a gs12.

:D

Psychoblues

darin
11-11-2008, 09:54 PM
I don't have a choice in the matter :(

But - I've got...about 20 years before I can retire...so...I'll have to make-do. :)

If I can retire as a 14/15 I'd feel accomplished.

Psychoblues
11-11-2008, 10:00 PM
Hang in there, darin. You'll get real bad discouraged from time to time but there is a bigger picture and greater satisfaction on ahead if you'll just adjust the ol' attitude from time to time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't have a choice in the matter :(

But - I've got...about 20 years before I can retire...so...I'll have to make-do. :)

If I can retire as a 14/15 I'd feel accomplished.

Sorry 'bout that FERS thing, they tried time and time again to get me to switch over and I just looked at them like, "Why in hell are you paying me this money and think so little of my common sense and general intelligence"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Psychoblues